cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAMPAGE IV will not POST..

evan411
Level 7
To start, I'm fairly new at building computers.

I just finished building a computer with the RAMPAGE IV mb in it, also in it:

i7-3930k processor
radeon hd 7970 gpu
16 gb 1600 mhz DDR3 ram, 1.5v
cooler master cmstorm case

So, I finally finished putting it together, and tried to start it, only to have the psu fan turn on for a split second, and the cpu as
well, then turn right back off. Nothing happened on the screen as well. I hit the reset button on the back of the card where all the
external hardware goes, and tried to start it again, and it does the same thing. Could this be a BIOS issue? If so, how do i fix it
without being able to start the computer at all? Thanks for the help in advance.

--Evan
16 REPLIES 16

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hey Even welcome to the forum.

What you need to do is make sure that you have all the PSU connectors correctly seated on the motherboard. And out of interest which ram slots did you put your 4 sticks or ram into? Try with one stick and see how that goes.

Check back in the morning but now it is sleep time for me.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I'll double check all the power cables. I have the 8 gb sticks in the b1 and d1 slots, per the motherboard manuals suggestion.

8_Pack
Level 12
What post code did you get mate that will help us diagnose the problem. Like Hiviz says try with one RAM stick either side of CPu but furthest slot. Finally you may need a bios update with that card as you asked first up. Try the one stick first and post back with a debug code.

Got a friend there had the same problem.

Im pretty sure you can fix it easy.

1: Download the newest Bios from Asus.com
2: Rename it to: R4E.Rom
3: put it on a USB.
4: Plug it into the Rog USB,
5: Have power to your system, but dont turn it on.
6: Press at the ROG button,

You will now see the bios lighting starting to blik on your morther bord, then is finish both your bios is reinstalled and you should now could boot.

@ 8 pack, I can't even get the computer to boot. like at all. It will turn on for a second, then turn off immediately.

I'll try with the one stick though.

@ Nicklas, yeah the BIOS LED is solid whenever i turn on the computer every time.

also, when i download the BIOS update, are you referring to a flash drive? And does that need to be the only thing on the flash
drive if so? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, my head is spinning with all these new terms and flipping through several
manuals doesnt help.

Ok, so tried the one stick thing, put it in on the far right slot, still nothing. Also rechecked connections, seem good.

I'm going to download the BIOS update and try that. Hopefully that works. Also, I shouldn't have to have a monitor or anything to have the computer running right? I know I'll need one for the initial BIOS setup, but I figured getting the computer running first
is the important thing.

Also, I'm fairly sure the motherboard doesnt have integrated graphics, correct? I didnt see any monitor ports on the original slots on the back, so i had to install the graphics card, should i be worrying about that?

HiVizMan
Level 40
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12749-RIVE-BIOS-FlashBack&country=&status=

Follow the guide here.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
May I make a suggestion here. While it is not ideal with your current state of uncertainty I would strongly suggest you only start putting your system together once all the bits are available. At the moment you are running blind. Do the BIOS flash if you want but to try and problem solve with no monitor attached is really a waste of your energy.

Alright, so I downloaded the BIOS, 1005 right? Renamed it, put it in the ROG USB slot....the USB drive flashed once. now Which
button am i supposed to push, the one directly above the USB?

@ HiVIzMan, I do have all the externals available, I just figured that since I can't even get the computer to turn on really, it was a waste of time. Am I wrong in thinking that?