cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus z690 Formula Thunderbolt Issues

Masterwoofie
Level 7
I'm on the verge of returning this board to Amazon. I've followed the procedures here, and I cannot consistently get Thunderbolt installed. I do a clean install of Windows 11, install Chipset drivers, reboot, install Thunderbolt drivers, reboot, install Serial i/o drivers, and reboot. No thunderbolt.

Suggestions??
5 REPLIES 5

Masterwoofie
Level 7
I was feeling hopeful for a minute. I had it installed by installing the thunderbolt drivers first. Then, somehow, over the process of a reboot, it disappeared. I need to know if my board is faulty, or if the drivers are poorly written, or if this chipset is just screwed up. I haven't had an issue like this in years.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Masterwoofie,
Please check if the deice is in other devices of the device manager nd install Thunderbolt Control Center software to check if thunderbolt is enabled.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000033223/intel-nuc.html
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19402/thunderbolt-3-and-4-dch-driver-for-windows-10...

If there is still no thunderbolt information in Thunderbolt Control Center software, please update to the latest bios 1403, and restore bios to all default settings.
Then, please reinstall the drivers from our support site step by step after clean install of Windows 11 to check thunderbolt in the device manager and Thunderbolt Control Center software again.
1. Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.1.18838.8284
2. Intel(R) GNA Scoring Accelerator module V3.0.0.1363
3. Intel(R) Serial IO V30.100.2131.26
4. Intel Management Engine Interface V2145.1.42.0
5. Intel Thunderbolt Driver V1.41.1193.0
Please reboot once after install each driver.
Thank you.

I was able to get it installed and working... for 2 whole days. When I booted up this morning, Thunderbolt is gone. I shut down, powered up again, no joy. I've updated to the newest BIOS, which is currently 1505.

My thunderbolt device is an audio interface, MOTU 828es. I see a number of threads with others having similar problems with these boards. I can only conclude that something is done incorrectly with your implementation of thunderbolt. I can't continually fight with this. I'm seriously considering returning it.
As to doing yet another clean install... it takes me a solid day to download and install all of my music software. I don't have the time or patience.

I'm not getting any errors. It's just... not there.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Masterwoofie,
Is there no other devices item in the device manager?
Is MOTU 828es not working when there is no thunderbolt in the device manager?
Have you tried with other thunderbolt device?
Thank you.