cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS routers and Verizon FIOS

Sturmrider
Level 7
Hi all,

I am still choosing which mesh system I want to go with, but I noticed on the SNB forums that ASUS routers and mesh systems seem to have issues with Verizon FIOS. I am hoping those on here can help me with either what the issue is and whether or not it has been corrected or if it is something I should plan for and if it can be corrected by me.

I noticed on the SNB forums a lot of them but other routers such as Netgear and started using the ASUS routers as APs this seems inefficient at best. I will be interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

Larry
20 REPLIES 20

Sturmrider
Level 7
Hi all,

Just thought I would post one of the threads on SNB if anyone wants to check it out. I am hoping someone on the forums here has an answer for this I would prefer to get an ASUS router, but obviously only if it will work.

Thanks again. Here is the link:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/sort-of-solved-slow-wifi-upload-for-xt8-on-verizon-fios.77476/

Regards,

Larry

That post was filled with vague statements.

Always use your strongest router as the "router", meaning the one connected to the modem. I'd never place them close together, but spread them apart. I like the ASUS line personally but cost is part of that equation. Security AiProtection is provided for free, while others have a subscription somehow after a certain amount of time. My old old pre-mesh router was given "new life" with AiMesh enabled firmware, which convinced me to continue building with them.

Since you're starting new it is a good idea to compare the competition. Just be wary of things when posts online in forums don't quite make everything clear:

Never mentioned which Nighthawk router model was purchased, although admits "accidentally" purchasing an AC (older type) model. Well which one works? (It wasn't shared).

My friend came over to replace a couple parts on his car. He said all over the internet they say he needed a T-30 torx so that is what he got. I had the new parts in hand and got out the correct T-40. People like company when they are suffering....

jzchen wrote:
That post was filled with vague statements.

Always use your strongest router as the "router", meaning the one connected to the modem. I'd never place them close together, but spread them apart. I like the ASUS line personally but cost is part of that equation. Security AiProtection is provided for free, while others have a subscription somehow after a certain amount of time. My old old pre-mesh router was given "new life" with AiMesh enabled firmware, which convinced me to continue building with them.

Since you're starting new it is a good idea to compare the competition. Just be wary of things when posts online in forums don't quite make everything clear:

Never mentioned which Nighthawk router model was purchased, although admits "accidentally" purchasing an AC (older type) model. Well which one works? (It wasn't shared).

My friend came over to replace a couple parts on his car. He said all over the internet they say he needed a T-30 torx so that is what he got. I had the new parts in hand and got out the correct T-40. People like company when they are suffering....

Hi jzchen,

Thank you for your feedback. I always take things in forums with a grain of salt because generally that is where people come to vent their disappointments or issues. I realize this may be a small portion, I am just being a little cautious because I have Verizon Fios and when I called ASUS they told me when I purchase it to call verizon and get a new MAC address for some reason. This made me a little warier.

I am still considering the ASUS routers and am waiting to see about one other large expense I might have before I make the jump.

Thank you again for all your feedback it does help.

Regards,

Larry

As an intro we were given a notice from our ISP of a speed increase from 300 Mbps (asymmetric) to 1 Gbps (asymmetric) with a $5/month (IIRC) price increase. I was informed my AC68U would not support such speeds and to upgrade it. So searching around I found Costco had a Linksys Hydra AXE6600 for sale so I bought one. This was me thinking my ancient ASUS router would not support mesh. I proceed to disconnect the Ethernet cables and connect them to the Hydra. Something was wrong, internet was slower than with the old setup. Eventually I returned it and bought the AXE11000 (even better specs) and I now have an AiMesh setup. I traced the Ethernet wires and found I had two from the router to the same switch (LAN loop). So maybe it wasn't the Linksys Hydra's fault but that's how I started... Added a TP-Link for the sister-in-law that was staying temporarily then got a good deal on a RT-AX86U (had to drive down to Tustin Micro Center). Recently got an excellent deal on a Lyra Voice anxiously waiting for it to arrive....

MAC address is defined by the manufacturer. It is like your street address no two addresses are exactly alike which makes your device unique. Used to be the ISPs latch onto your initially setup router's MAC and when you switch router it would recognize the difference and not work. Router manufacturers developed "MAC cloning" so your new router looks like your old router. ISPs can use this to push you to use their provided router I guess for extra profit. This is/was common with one of the cable modem providers in my old city of Alhambra. All of a sudden connection would drop and hard to reistablish. I'm glad to say that company doesn't seem to exist anymore/got merged into a bigger one...

EDIT-. Initially the way internet was sold was per device. So the ISP would come out and setup just your computer. You would need to pay extra for service to multiple computers. Hence they would latch onto the MAC address of your computer. When you try to share by switching to a router they would see the MAC difference and prevent service. This is where MAC cloning came in handy. But sometimes they could see through this somehow, and intermittent no internet would occur....

jzchen wrote:
MAC address is defined by the manufacturer. It is like your street address no two addresses are exactly alike which makes your device unique. Used to be the ISPs latch onto your initially setup router's MAC and when you switch router it would recognize the difference and not work. Router manufacturers developed "MAC cloning" so your new router looks like your old router. ISPs can use this to push you to use their provided router I guess for extra profit. This is/was common with one of the cable modem providers in my old city of Alhambra. All of a sudden connection would drop and hard to reistablish. I'm glad to say that company doesn't seem to exist anymore/got merged into a bigger one...

Interesting it sounds like something Verizon Fios might be doing then or there is a conflict. Have to look into this harder I plan on picking up a new system in the next week or so. I just want it to work once I set it up. I know I might have some initial tweaking to do, I can live with that. Just want it to work and take care of some of the problems we are having now.

Regards,

Larry

In my opinion MAC address in and of itself has no relation to speed.

I can not confirm nor deny that Verizon participates in the fish business. 😂

Nor would ASUS want to point fingers at Verizon lest they direct trouble specifically towards their routers...

Hi JZChen,

You are right too slow, one reason I am looking at other routers. Interesting in that I just got off the phone with Verizon and one of my questions was whether or not I could pay them to run backhaul wires in. The technicians didn't even know what I was talking about.

I also dug further into the google app and found I have 2 wifi points in the basement I figured it would help the things tucked away down there that needs connectivity. Imagine my surprise when I found none of them were being used. All the upstairs points are being used.

I put them down there because they came in a 4 pack and the 3 I installed up here are all being used I thought adding one downstairs made sense. It is not looking like it and I cannot change which point is being used in the Google App it is very basic.

I agree ASUS wouldn't want to point fingers and I don't know, but I think I am buying some routers soon, but now it looks like I will only need 3. I will see.

Regards,

Larry

Hi Saltgrass,

Yes I did look at the second link you gave me. I have confirmed it is 93.6 Mbps not MBps. Getting closer to the router I am looking at, but it now looks like I will only need 3 a main and 2 APs.

Thank you again for all your help.

Regards,

Larry