cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocking bad cpu win 7 performance score of 4.7. WTF!!!!

imbloodyskintag
Level 8
Now,
This just isnt right, is it? Seems low to me?
HD gets 5.9 and all other items get 7.2, but 4.7 for the cpu (2630qm) is just shocking.

Now, it does bounce between 798 to 1995 during test, showing only 1 core, 2 threads info in HWM Blackbox (CORE 2-4 ARE BLANK). Same info shows in CPU-Z.

Note, BD-PROC is disabled in bois.
17 REPLIES 17

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Make sure that you are running the high-performance profile, as well as plugged in to the wall. I have heard that on battery the system will down-clock significantly. Also, the 798->1995 MHz indicates that the computer is not running TurboMode. Make sure that any relevant settings in the BIOS are enabled.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
Make sure that you are running the high-performance profile, as well as plugged in to the wall. I have heard that on battery the system will down-clock significantly. Also, the 798->1995 MHz indicates that the computer is not running TurboMode. Make sure that any relevant settings in the BIOS are enabled.

Hi, (Thanks for the advice)
Just set up high performance mode and ran test again, same result?

Not sure how or were I would have to look or what to alter in the Bios to set or check turbo mode is on or off?

Laptop runs on mains power all the time.

Shouldnt cpuz show 4 cores and 8 threads instead of 1 core and 2 threads like it is now?

Also,
Windows detailed System info shows 1 core and 2 threads??

zsld0423
Level 9
Have you messed with the Advanced Options in the Boot tab of MSConfig? (I had a similar issue to the one you're having)
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

zsld0423 wrote:
Have you messed with the Advanced Options in the Boot tab of MSConfig? (I had a similar issue to the one you're having)

I did have a mess around with it but was to stop duel boot setup. Is there something I can check in it to see if something is wrong?

xeromist
Some cores can be put to sleep when they are not needed and the CPU ratio drops as well. This makes it possible to have a powerful CPU in a device which can run on battery for any reasonable amount of time. Honestly WEI is a *terrible* measure of performance so take everything it tells you with a grain of salt. Beyond being a general guideline for things you might want to examine more closely with better tools it is completely worthless.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

zsld0423
Level 9
I had an issue with mine that I'd accidentally set the wrong number of processors to 4 instead of 8. I'll attach a screenshot of what it looks like, though I have to remote to my Asus at home from my dinky netbook so excuse the poor quality 😛
Sager NP9370
16GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate

imbloodyskintag
Level 8
Thanks for the picture.
Well,
Something is definately wrong mate as All I get is 1 processor and thats it, doesnt show more then 1 in the dropdown box, were as we can see yours shows 8?

imbloodyskintagain wrote:
Well,
Something is definately wrong mate as All I get is 1 processor and thats it, doesnt show more then 1 in the dropdown box, were as we can see yours shows 8?

No, that doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong.....that's what that window usually looks like by default. I.e., "Number of processor" is not checked, and the number "1" is greyed out in the drop-down box.

zsld0423
Level 9
Yep, mine can have 8 maximum. The 1st thing I'd suggest is to back up your data, and do a re-install of Windows and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't the processor or motherboard could be bad (hopefully not that). If you open up Task Manager, and go to the Performance Tab. In the top-right area underneath CPU History, how many windows are there? Here's a screenshot of mine, so you know what to look for. If it's showing you only 1 processor in msconfig, there should be 1 window instead of the 8 I have.
Sager NP9370
16GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate