cimbri
Level 9
im planing to buy used Asus G72gx, any advice or known problems

thx
4 REPLIES 4

Thx1138
Level 7
Few things to note about this laptop:
This computer doesn't have the greatest cooling system, but it's still effective. After 3 years of use, I idle around 62-69c in the Summer, and 56-60c Winter. The graphics card (Geforce GTX 260M) runs all of my games with decent framerates. (I hear that It can run BF3 well)
Battery life is under 3 hours.
If you would like to repaste the graphics card after a few years of use, you would need to disassemble the laptop.

Known problems:
Many people have reported screen issues. (For me, if the PC gets too hot, the screen shows green lines at a certain viewing angle.)
People have also had overheating issues with the G72. (If it starts crashing games after a year or two, you can fix the problem by cleaning out the fans.)

Advice: Make sure you..
Use the laptop on a flat surface, because the vents must stay clear to prevent high temps/overheating.
Do not press down on the side latches covering the USB ports. The one on my right side was pressed too hard, and broke off.
Download updates from Nvidia for performance boosts.
Repaste the CPU after 1-2 years to keep it cool.
____
G72GX__ GeForce GTX 260M__ 6GB RAM__ Intel Core 2 Dou CPU p8700 @2.52GHz

Sorry to revive such an old thread but by chance does anyone have a disassembly guide for one of these?

I've got a m8 of mine with one and he's been complaining of intenese lag after a few minutes of gaming. I come to find out after helping him diagnose that his GPU temps are at 105 :0 . CPU temps are acceptable but could no doubt use a dose of Artic Silver too.

I found a YouTube video with disassemble of a G71 and if I recall the two share similar DNA but a write up would be quite handy too. Thanks in advance!

WrapceBoY
Level 7
I am user of Asus G72Gx RoG notebook, well first of all im sorry for my bad english for half words i use Google Translate 😄

Now start with product.
My guess is that this can be measured with the toughest gaming notebooks. I closed my notebook cooling of the unconscious. plastic melted on output then you know what the temperature was and worked so 2 hours since I put the torrent and went away. When I got home and saw thenotebook I tried to turn it off but it was so of hot that I could not touch it. I expected that this notebook over and that he is no more hope. However, after it cooled I tried it and it worked lights for 10 seconds and went out. I skied it in for repair all that has blown one input side and one port for a hard drive. but only ports. but as soon as you disconnect the two faults notebook works perfectly normal. Of course I took it back because it would cost too much service. Behold this day I use it year after the accident and the notebook works perfectly. therefore my opinion if you're not somewhat obsolete due to performance reasons my advice to you is to buy this beast 😉

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think you can search a lot of story in forum or googls, but i think you would buy one to try, because other people meet the problem, maybe you wouldn't meet.