cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH Overheating and shutting down?

Retired
Not applicable
Hey guys, I have a G73JH which I bought back in August. I recently had an issue where the machine would shutdown without warning while I was running iRacing. I'm not very tech-savy, so I was advised on the iRacing.com forums that this was likely due to overheating. I setup a cooling pad and this never happened again until this weekend. The same thing happens, without warning the machine shuts down but then restarts fine.

From reading the forums, it seems that others have had this issue with G73's that are this "old". I've seen the term re-paste mentioned several times, and I don't really know what that is other than the fact that it seems like something I wouldn't want to do myself (again not very computer savy here). Are there any other things that could be causing this or is it definitely overheating, if it is what could be some causes other than a need for a re-paste?

Also can someone recommend a way to get temperature readings, is there a way to do it with the computer itself or do I need to download another program?

Thanks a lot for any help, I really appreciate it.
1 REPLY 1

Chastity
Level 10
1) Download HWINFO32 and use the Sensor page to track your temps and fan speeds. Ignore the 30% fan speed reading, it never changes. Use RPM. Also you can grab FurMark 1.82 and use that to stress your GPU. Make sure you are running both apps, since FurMark only records the Core temps, and you'll be missing two others.

2) Read http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?946-G73JH-GPU-Overheating-Observations-and-Suggestions-...) for more info on temps and paste.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]