cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pink Screen of Death Help Please!

TheBlackShogun
Level 7
Hey. I just bought this Asus G74SX-RH71 about three months ago, and I've just encountered what I think is called a Pink Screen of Death.

Basically, I was watching a youtube video (Not fullscreen) and then suddenly my entire computer screen went pink. The only thing I could do was a hard reset.

I'm not sure what caused this, but I'm very paranoid about it now. I really don't have the time to have to send this computer in for repairs if that's what's causing it.

Does it have something to do with the new Nvidia driver that I installed? It's never happened before I installed that.

I hope i gave you enough information to help me. If you need anymore I'll give it. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

TheBlackShogun
Level 7
Oh, and I forgot to add that this is happening with my laptop's screen and not an external monitor.

dstrakele
Level 14
Can you confirm the external monitor has no issues AT THE SAME TIME your laptop display has a pink screen?

What version NVIDIA video driver are you currently running?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I'm currently running the 296.16 version.

dstrakele
Level 14
I'm going to assume you never reproduced the "pink screen" issue with an external monitor attached to your laptop.

296.16 has had some reports of "pink screen" lockups during YouTube playback. I recommend you perform a clean install of the NVIDIA 304.48 BETA driver. Choose "Custom Install" and then check the "Clean Install" checkbox.

I recommend you boot into Windows Safe Mode for this installation. It will disable other running drivers (such as Antivirus) that may interfere with your video driver installation.

If you do not wish to install the latest NVIDIA 304.48 BETA, then go for the 285.62 or 295.73 WHQL drivers.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Ok thank you very much, I'll try that now.

TheBlackShogun
Level 7
K installed it and so far I've had no pink screen, and my computer's running overall faster. Thank you very much for you help!