cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW - adding 8 GB of 1600 MHz RAM so I now have 16GB was a bit of a pain..

Herby6262
Level 8
I was in touch with Asus support, tigerdirect where I got the RAM, a bunch of support tech people (im a programmer 15 years now) and they were all Wrong with their answers. They all said to run in "dual mode" of ram (aready wrong, 2 stick alone is dual mode, which it came with) I had to use 1333 MHz RAM. No explanation why. When I popped both new 4 GB sticks in it wouldnt boot. So, to make it work, I added 1 4 GB to slot 0, then rebooted and made sure it could see the change - which worked. Then shutdown and added the other 4, and voila. 16GB running at 1600 MHz. Nice support there telling me to clock down. I would have been Pissed if i went out and bought 16GB of 1333 before figuring it out myself. Bottom line - listen to your instincts and logic. Know when people are wrong or full of BS, and keep trying. :cool:
G75VW - i7 3rd gen 2.3 - 3.3 GHz, 16GB 1600 MHz RAM, 1 TB SATA drive, 256 Solid State drive, Geforece 660 GTX 2 GB dedicated RAM

Software Engineer since 1997. Specialty areas - embedded system control, GUIs, realtime, multi-threaded, client/server & hardware controlling sytems. Domains: Satellite communications, medical defibrillators, signal processing (DSP), FPGA to CPU comms.
10 REPLIES 10

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Excellent advice (+1 rep)! The customer support was probably thinking of the older SandyBridge models, where what they said is true. Sandy was designed to run 1333, not 1600, so the IMC could only run 2 sticks at 1600 MHz. Ivy, on the other hand, is designed to run 1600 MHz, and that is why you had the results you did. The only thing to check is run memtest86+ and see if it is running in dual-channel mode. I would assume so, but it never hurts to check. Single-channel, 16 GB, BS is right! @fostert runs 32 GB[\B] of 1333 in dual-channel on his G74SX. ASUS reps said that the system would not run with 32 GB...until @fostert posted the LINUX memory manager output...ho! ho!
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Hi guys, I have just been reading above. Can I run 4x8meg with an i7 3930k?
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
PSU Cooler Master Silent Hybrid Pro 1300w
CPU Intel i7 3930K (stock)
Cooling Corsair H100
Mobo ASUS Rampage IV Formula
RAM 32gig Corsair Vengeance 1600
GPU Sapphire HD 7970 x2
Display 27 inch Potalion x2 (5120x1440)
SSD's 240G Sandisk Extreme SSD x2 in RAID 0
HDD's 3TB WD Green x4 in RAID 5
and too many f^%$ng fans to count…
:rolleyes:

Zka17
Level 16
Perhaps, not in the OP's laptop... but on your mobo yes... 🙂

Just be sure that you have the right kit... at that memory density, specially on the X79 platform is important to check the QVL and/or the memory's manufacturer sugestions...

Here is a 4x8GB kits from the QVL: Corsair CMT32GX3M4X1866C9(Ver1.50)(XMP)

Is there any way I can run two 16gig kits? (8x2 each kit)

CMT32GX3M4X1866C9(Ver1.50)(XMP) your recommendation

CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10(Ver2.2) I have two of these kits (four cards total)

Am I stuck with 16gig or can I get the other set to run?
Cooling Corsair H100
GPU Sapphire HD 7970 x2

Zka17
Level 16
Mike, it's not nice to divert other's post... your questions has nothing to do with OP's subject... - I would suggest you to start your own thread... (you can try two kits if you want, but may have to work hard to get them work... getting a single 32GB kit is much easier)

yikes. thanks for the tip. new but learning!

will look into a 32g kit...

thanx Z
Cooling Corsair H100
GPU Sapphire HD 7970 x2

Zka17
Level 16
No problem, mate! 🙂

Just to add, why not start a thread over in the "Build Advice" subforum. That is were all the desktop gurus hang out and answer questions. This forum is for notebooks. If you have a 3930k in a notebook, then post here...and tell us where you got that lappy. :cool:
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

I would bet it would run 4 x 8 GB sticks, as the gentlemen who first replied has that running on his g74. I don't think 2x 16GB would work, maybe ... according to asus each slot can hold a max of a 4GB. Not sure if he had to change anything using some utility or in the BIOS to get it to recognize all 32 GB.
G75VW - i7 3rd gen 2.3 - 3.3 GHz, 16GB 1600 MHz RAM, 1 TB SATA drive, 256 Solid State drive, Geforece 660 GTX 2 GB dedicated RAM

Software Engineer since 1997. Specialty areas - embedded system control, GUIs, realtime, multi-threaded, client/server & hardware controlling sytems. Domains: Satellite communications, medical defibrillators, signal processing (DSP), FPGA to CPU comms.