cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage III Extreme + 3-Way Sli ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 Fat Boys :b ?

Retired
Not applicable
Hi all!

Im glad to find this forum, the public ASUS forum was totally emty... 🙂

Just ordered 2 of the Fat Boys ( 3 slot) ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5
But after some research and the fact that im only playing in Surround (6000*1080) I'll think that a 3rd ASUS ENGTX580 will scale good with a i7 990X and crunch away games in Surround resolution pretty good.

But will the 3rd card fit on the Mobo?
Was thinking about placing them in slot 1, 2, and 4. Will probably have to get a new Case since the last one will hang out/down quite a bit. There is some extra space between slot1 and slot2 so they can be used right?

Anyone tryed this fat boys in 3-way Sli on this mobo, can you share som insight or does someone know about this?

Regards
Andreas
3 REPLIES 3

Retired
Not applicable
The third card will fit, but you must use slots 1,2,3 because of the 3-way connector. With a 990X, you will be able to stretch the performance of 3-way SLI.

Retired
Not applicable
itcrashed wrote:
The third card will fit, but you must use slots 1,2,3 because of the 3-way connector. With a 990X, you will be able to stretch the performance of 3-way SLI.

with dc2 you can only do dual sli. cant fit 3 cards because of the tri slot design i think you are thinking of dual slot of the old asus 580 reference cards

celticguy75
Level 8
I really can't see this working, just because of space. You could probably cram two of those monsters in, but there's no way I can see of fitting anything else, especially another GPU. Unless you water cooled the gpu cards. I've yet to see a photo of the card installed, but I imagine if fitted into slot 1 it'll overlap slot two etc. Anyone have a Rampage III Extreme with one of these cards fitted?

Edited to add - There ARE photos of the matrix card (which is the same size I think) on the ROG forums Click Here to see

Judging by that, two of these cards will take up all the space on a Rampage III Extreme.