cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G53JW-A1 Battery Questions

Bhavya
Level 7
Hey guys,

Before starting my first post, just quickly wanted to state how lovely this community is! Y'all discuss problems together and work with each other to get stuff done. Only thing that makes me feel odd about myself while being here, is when people talk about opening computers up and fiddling with preset settings. I feel less manly 😧

Onto my main question:

I was following a thread about several people breaking their G53JW power pins, as I'd broken mine a few days ago. I took it into Tech Master/Tech Central in Auckland, New Zealand and funnily enough, they accepted it, no questions asked! While I was there, I asked them if they sold batteries for the same laptop, response being $120 NZD for ASUS batteries. To me, this was quite costly as I'm under the impression that buying from the USA is cheaper. I couldn't get a proper number on the manufacturer batteries except when you're on GentechPC's laptop customisation page prior to buying.. you're given an option to include an extra battery for $119 USD.

Should I buy ASUS manufactured batteries over the batteries they sell at ebay? Some do sell the original ones for $70 USD, but are the 3rd party ones bad? Do they cause performance problems for your computer? Anything I should watch out for?

Lastly, what are your opinions on getting one of these. They don't say if it's compatible with Asus ROG laptops, but do any of the connector plug tips shown in the images fit the ASUS G53JW? Sorry, I can't tell as I know nothing about my laptop or the tip types.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Do not buy 3rd party batteries - especially not from eBay. The authentic batteries are probably used, so their performance will be less than that of a new battery. The 3rd party batteries may (and likely are) poorly made, which will definitely give bad battery life at best, and toast your computer at worst. Contact ASUS and see if you can order over-seas.

Actually, the 120 NZD ~= 96.9 USD would likely equate when shipping is factored in. Still, worth asking around. The price is worth paying when you consider that if a 3rd party battery damages your computer, you pay the repair, as opposed to ASUS.

Just my 2 US cents. 😉
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
Do not buy 3rd party batteries - especially not from eBay. The authentic batteries are probably used, so their performance will be less than that of a new battery. The 3rd party batteries may (and likely are) poorly made, which will definitely give bad battery life at best, and toast your computer at worst. Contact ASUS and see if you can order over-seas.

Actually, the 120 NZD ~= 96.9 USD would likely equate when shipping is factored in. Still, worth asking around. The price is worth paying when you consider that if a 3rd party battery damages your computer, you pay the repair, as opposed to ASUS.

Just my 2 US cents. 😉

Thanks for your quick reply, Zygomorphic!

I was initially leaning towards getting third party ones because I feel that my usage of the laptop is horrible. I tend to keep my laptop connected to the power for hours together, and only shut down when software's acting up or the computer's lagging when I'm just trying to move my mouse (approx ~243 hours uptime). So I thought its better to get a crappy battery and go through those few times rather than buying original and having to spend $120 over and over again. I understand the point you're trying to get across though!

Additionally, I really need to learn how to maintain my batteries. It's embarrassing when people show off their MacBook battery lives in class 😞