cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm getting annoyed with my G75...

Duskwinter
Level 7
So I bought my G75 from Best Buy and I have had nothing but issues since I have gotten it. I had the G74 and loved it. I wanted to buy another (My girlfriend broke my old one and I broke up with her lol) but they are of course discontinued. Anyways, I have posted before regarding the Atheros' AMAZING ability to continue dropping signal, slow laggy connection, and various other skill sets at plain old sucking.. I received many 'suggestions' for fixes, and even purchased a Dongle, but that just opened new doors to new issues.

New Issues: Regardless of what I have done, the Atheros Wifi card is crap.. If somebody wants to try and trouble shoot it, ask questions and I shall answer gladly. The reason I want the on board card fixed is because of the next new issue.

The Dongle does not work. I am on my fourth one, so it is not the Dongle, I am also on the third router, so not the router cause yes, other machines hooked up with these devices work perfectly. The ASUS G75 USB ports.. only one works. Any other I plug my Linksys N Dual-band Dongle into, does not recognize the device.. Annoying. Any suggestions on how to work around that?

When a company releases a 'new' Model for a computer, shouldn't they aim to make it better then the last? Cause I'm sorry, other then the no num-lock function on the G74 which was fixed simply by Flashing a new ATK packet, I had no issues with it. The G75 is just one thing after another.

Can I switch my G75 out for a G74? I'll do that 9 times out of 10, unless the G74 model is refurbished.
7 REPLIES 7

Shawnnepc
Level 13
Are you sure it isn't the DSL/Cable modem?

Have you installed the latest drivers?
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Pretty sure it is not the cable modem.. All other devices in the house, including my Xbox that I stream Netflix on work perfectly. No lag, no issues. I don't think cable modems make routers have selective signal on what works or not. And yes I have the drivers for the Atheros card updated to the version 10.somethingsomething as I was instructed I should do last time I posted about this issue.

cl-scott
Level 12
It's entirely possible that you just were "lucky" and got one of the few defective cards that will inevitably make it through QA, because otherwise every single unit would have to be tested individually, which is simply not feasible for numerous reasons.

Although I have also seen cases where someone gets a new computer with a new network card that then doesn't play nicely with older routers. Particularly if you have an old router running some draft version of a network spec, like the various Draft 11g and 11n routers that cropped up.

So have you tried using an 11g connection to see if maybe that is a little more stable? If no, then you've probably done more troubleshooting than the average person, and I'd say it's time to consider the possibility of an RMA for a new wireless card. If yes, then you can try updating the firmware for the router, but odds are you'll just need a new router.

dstrakele
Level 14
Duskwinter wrote:
The ASUS G75 USB ports.. only one works. Any other I plug my Linksys N Dual-band Dongle into, does not recognize the device.. Annoying. Any suggestions on how to work around that?

Have you tried installing the latest Intel Chipset driver with -overall switch and the latest Intel USB 3.0 driver?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

theevilisback
Level 7
Try returning it. I had a myriad of problems with my first one, this second one is working pretty damn good (Only odd thing is when I'm on ventrilo, and only a specific server, and playing DotA2. I disconnect from everything for about 20 seconds like... every other day)

Best Buy has amazing customer service when it comes to a large purchase. Worst case, buy the warranty through them for a year. I returned mine after almost 60 days, told them I'm more than willing to get the service package for $150/year, the manager had no problem overriding the fact it only had a 45 day return policy (thanks to Reward Zone Silver).

Wolffie80
Level 10
I had a simular problem. updated my router and installed Atheros Wifi drivers and intel drivers (don`t know if they are relevant) but it sorted all my problems.
I have a clean install of win7 on my g75vw btw..
Asus G75VW-T1031V
Intel Core i7-3610QM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 670M
8 GB 1600mhz
HDD#1 -> SSD OCZ Agility3 240gb
HDD#2 -> 750gb HDD 7200rpm
HDD#3 -> 320gb WD 5200rpm (external drive mounted on back of screen with ducktape! NOT :D)

dstrakele
Level 14
Duskwinter wrote:
So I bought my G75 from Best Buy and I have had nothing but issues since I have gotten it.

I changed my mind and agree with @theevilisback. Don't worry about attempting to update any drivers. Do an ASUS Factory Restore to bring the system back to its out-of-the-box state. If that doesn't resolve your issues, take it back to Best Buy and exchange your defective laptop for a new one. The ASUS Factory Restore will at least have removed any of your personal files from the system.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT