cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overview of Clock Skew

Raja
Level 13
Clock Skews

In most situations these won’t need to be changed, unless you are gunning for maximum reference clocks in order to exploit remaining margins on memory or CPU clock frequency.

An integrated clock generator IC located within the PCH (Southbridge) provides reference clock frequencies to all buses named in the BIOS.

Shamino has written up a few guidelines here to help give a few ideas of where to start.

Gross Simplification of Clock Skew

The actual function of the skew mechanism is to shift the start point of the rising edge of a clock signal across the time axis (in our case the offset scale is in picoseconds). The general notion with skew control is that components placed closer to the clock generator may need their clock signal delayed somewhat, while components placed further away may need their clock signal to be advanced. Although this is not always the case as trace capacitance, power supply noise and transient response can interfere with clock generation to some extent - resulting in the need for counter-adjustment in certain scenarios that don’t fit in with the previous statement.

Either way, the reason that adjustment may be required in the first place is that all of these components need to transfer data to one another; hence the rising edge of their respective data lines needs to be within a certain window to ensure reliable data transfer. At higher bus frequencies the alignment tolerance diminishes to such an extent that a manual shift of the reference clock feeding the offending bus may be necessary to ensure data transfer is still possible.

In the example below, the CPU is situated further away from the clock generator than the PCH. As a result of this the reference clock signal for the CPU arrives at the frequency synthesizer a little later than ideal.

Basic diagram for illustrative purposes only - clock distribution network not shown

The outcome of this is that as we increase the CPU frequency multiplier or change BCLK (the CPU reference clock frequency), our margin for reliable data transfer over all related clock domains deteriorates a little quicker than it would if the rising edge were situated closer to the ideal point. In this instance we advance the CPU clock skew by 300ps which shifts the start-up timing for the CPU clock drivers at the clockgen leading to a better time-aligned reference clock arrival at the CPU frequency synthesizer - resulting in an improved margin for overclocking:

Sampling margins increased due to better phase coherency between clock domains

Sure, there may be some write levelling routines built into the platform to de-skew timing mismatches between various data lines, thus the effects of skew adjustment on the Sandy Bridge platform are not large. However, benchmarking fanatics chasing maximum scores should spend a little time experimenting with these values to ensure stability and to extend overclocking headroom.
16 REPLIES 16

xeromist
Does this ever come into play with anything less than phase cooling I wonder? Definitely good to know though.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Does this ever come into play with anything less than phase cooling I wonder? Definitely good to know though.

Some SNB CPUs don't like subzero and scale very well at ambient temps- so phase isn't strictly necessary. However, our boards are setup quite well so most users don't ever need to touch clock skews unless they are benchmarking and want to wring out every MHz. Overall, I wouldn't expect to see more than 1~2 BCLK margin on this platform because of how tightly things are strung together.

xeromist
True. I guess I was just thinking that by the time you get to the point where you'd need to tinker with something like this you would already have graduated to more aggressive cooling, but I haven't moved to SB 😄
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
xeromist wrote:
True. I guess I was just thinking that by the time you get to the point where you'd need to tinker with something like this you would already have graduated to more aggressive cooling, but I haven't moved to SB 😄

The skews actually help my bck when on air or water, On phase my guess is the cold is achieving the same circumstances with my cpu so not needed.

Sandy bridge is weird though, my chip clocks higher on water, loses 20 mhz on phase. So the settings can be very helpful to me when benching on water as i get higher bclk and higher overall frequncies albeit only 20 mhz.

xeromist
Cool, good to know, Chew.

FlanK3r
Level 13
very good to know! Thx Raja, so, now I can from 5410 up to 5430 for validation :-D. Super. every MHz up is good job.
Who knows me, knows me ;)....AMD 3000+, AMD x2 4600+ EE, AMD X4 955 BE C2,2x AMD X4 965 BE C3, AMD X4 970 BE C3, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD x6 1100T BE, 2x AMD FX-8120, 2x AMD FX-8150, FX-6300, FX-8300, FX-8320E, FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370, FX-8370E, FX-9370, FX-9590, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, A8-5600K, A10-5800K, A10-6800K, A10-7850K, A10-7870K, A 5150, Athlon x4 860K, Intel i7-5960X, i7-6700K, Intel i7-4770K, Intel i7-980x, Intel i7 2600k, Intel i7-3770K, i7-3930K.

Raja
Level 13
Glad it helped. 🙂

V2-V3
Level 8
Wow, great post Raja
just came to mind it takes one Uber Oscilloscope to see and correct those waves at LN2 Clocks 🙂

V2-V3 wrote:
Wow, great post Raja
just came to mind it takes one Uber Oscilloscope to see and correct those waves at LN2 Clocks 🙂

Thanks, I thought it would be helpful for people if they actually could visualize what they are attempting to do (especially seeing as people don't have scopes to hand).

Since writing this quick article, I have realised that the skews can come into play for even on air and water cooling with certain memory configurations - so it actually needs an update with some examples to reflect this. For example, in the GSkill 2133 guide I posted on this forum at 4.5GHz, the memory would not pass Memtest without the CPU skew advanced by 100ps, and that was at base of 100BCLK. Makes sense as the Intel stock layout is designed to be within functional tolerance margins up-to the supported memory speed of DDR3-1600 and at stock processor frequency.

For benchmarking scenarios over 5GHz, things become even more critical, and time spent with clock skews can give an edge.

Here's what optimal skew settings can do for Elpida Hyper when the CPU is cold (the setting will vary on a case by case basis):

-Raja