cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO GUIDE: Cable manage your ROG PC

Retired
Not applicable
In another thread, I posted a HOW TO GUIDE: Building an ROG PC. The result ended in this messy rig:

I'll go over some tips and tricks on cleaning this mess up and making it somewhat presentable. Now I am in no means a professional, but this is something people can accomplish in about an hour or less. Remember, be creative, and try different things to see what works and what doesn't. If i can do it, you can do it! For the purpose of this guide, we will be using a CoolerMaster HAF X.

Tools needed:

• Philips Screw driver
  • Zip Tie, preferably small ones.

Step 1: Reroute power cables and connect front panel cables.

• Now that you know where all the cables go into, take them all out. We are about to rearrange where they go in. There is an opening near the power supply where you can route all of your power cables to the back of the case.
  • Rerouting your front panel connectors, I found a small hole where the cables were able to fit through, 1 by 1. Result, you get a clean entry straight to the front panel header.
  • You can also route your front panel USB and AUDIO cables through the opening behind the power supply.

Step 2: Reroute your fan cables.

• For the CPU, I looped the fan cable underneath the shroud to give off the effect of not being able to see the cable. It follows the red line I have in the picture below.
  • For the rear case fan, I unscrewed the 4 screws holding the fan in place and turned it 90 degrees so that the fan cable would be closer to the upper section of the case. I unscrewed the mounting screws on the top section of the board, slightly pulled it back and made sure the fan cables were tucked under the stand off.
  • For the top and front case fans, I looped them to the back of the case from whatever opening I can find and brought them through one of the rubber holes along with the 24pin power connector. I separated some of the 24pin wires to fit the fan cables through. This way when you plug everything up and fan cables are hidden and not running off through the sides.

Step 3: PCI-E Power for your graphics card.

• These Cables were routed to the back of the case and through the side rubber hole.
  • I like to Zip Tie any unused cables/pins away, and prevent it from flapping out. In this case, we only need a 6pin connector to power a GTX560Ti so we can Zip Tie the unused 2pin back.
  • Once plugged in, you can also Zip Tie the 2 power cables together.
  • I was able to fit a small Zip Tie through an open hole on the graphics card and strap it onto the PCI-E cable. This allows the cable to flow alongside the card and prevent it from protruding out.
  • For Card 2, I didn't have enough slack so I just Zip Tied it together with the PCI-E cables from card 1.

21 REPLIES 21

Retired
Not applicable
Step 4: CPU Power

• I was able to squeeze the CPU power 8pin connector through a small opening at the top of the case. This was kind of tight squeeze and may need to loosen the mounting screws on your board to fit this through.

Step 5: Hooking up your Storage and Optical drive power/data cables

• Since we used the HotSwap bay in our last build, we will plug in our Molex Power and SATA cables.
  • Some power supplies will have unnecessary floppy drive power connectors. You can Zip Tie this back.
  • You can route the Molex and SATA cable through a hole near the storage trays.

• There is a opening where your front panel cables run through the back of the case. You can run your SATA power and SATA cable through this when plugging into your optical drive.

• You can route your SATA cables through the rubber holes and plug them into the proper SATA ports. This includes your front E-SATA cable in red.

Step 6: Clean up the rear

• Its a mess in the back. Try and group up what you can and Zip Tie them through the loops provided on the back of the case.
  • Then fit your side panel on. Some cases may be tougher than others because you may have to squash your cables flat in order to make the side panel fit. Luckily CoolerMaster made additional room for cables to fit while still looking cool.
  • One thing I forgot to point out is the front panel USB3.0 cables. These were also routed to the back near the CPU Power cable and put through the rubber holes.

Retired
Not applicable
And finally, here is the complete system. CoolerMaster also includes a PSU cable cover for your messy cables. You can choose to use it or not.

704 VS 706705707

Kipper
Level 10
Nicely done some great tips also, thanks

Night_Prowler
Level 7
Yeah on my first build, I am still making adjustments with my case. I think I am done. As of right now it looks pretty much like Brian has his. I been looking at this site before I joined up, just wanted to say thanks as well.
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced, Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200w PSU, Asus Crosshair IV Extreme, AMD Phenom II 1100T Black Edition Six Core, Corsair CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 XMS3 8GB DDR3 PC16000 2000MHz, DUAL XFX Radeon HD 6950 2 Gig Video Cards, 2-1 Terabyte Hard Drives, 2 DVD/RW Optical Drives

Night Prowler wrote:
Yeah on my first build, I am still making adjustments with my case. I think I am done. As of right now it looks pretty much like Brian has his. I been looking at this site before I joined up, just wanted to say thanks as well.

Nice specs for first build. Welcome to the forums!

Retired
Not applicable
Wow the HAF X looks like it has far superior cable management compared to the HAF 932. I built my rig last summer with a HAF 932, Rampage III Extreme, i7 980X, 2x ENGTX480s in SLI, and 12GB Corsair Dominator GT @1866MHz. It looks a lot like your final pictures, but I gotta say, it's a struggle to fit on the back panel. If I was smaller, I'd need another person to help me close the damned thing. I'm looking to buy the HAF X Nvidia edition. Probably one of the coolest looking cases out there, though it's a little pricey so I've gotta wait.

Regardless, great guide!

ottoyu34 wrote:
Nice specs for first build. Welcome to the forums!

Thanks ottoyu34! Sorry I changed my nic, first account I was in a hurry. LOL, should have used my game name like I wanted.
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced, Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200w PSU, Asus Crosshair IV Extreme, AMD Phenom II 1100T Black Edition Six Core, Corsair CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 XMS3 8GB DDR3 PC16000 2000MHz, DUAL XFX Radeon HD 6950 2 Gig Video Cards, 2-1 Terabyte Hard Drives, 2 DVD/RW Optical Drives

frisianbear2002
Level 9
Thx for the usefull info , tips and tricks.:cool:
l Asus Rampage 4 Extreme l intel 3930X@ 4800Mhz (1.45volt) 24/7 l Asus matrix GTX 580 l
16GB Team Xtreem DDR3 PC3-20800 2600MHz (11-11-11-28-1)
l Coolermaster Silentpro 1000w PSU l Revodrive3 ssd l WD Raptor 150Gb (10000rpm) l Corsair H100 wc with 4 Cougar Vortex fans l CM HAF 932 Avanced case l Acer X243H 24'' l Asus RT N66U Dark Knight l Logitech Z2300 speakers

In progress the custom build PC Samurai Warrior ''Miyamoto Musashi'' in Japanese ''宮本 武蔵'' made by Pascal

Thanks for the tutorials. Great stuff. Much appreciated.