cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless internet drops randomly

Synned
Level 7
Background:
I have purchased the G75VW with 1TB hard drive.
It has the Athros wireless card.
it will randomly disconnect me from the internet which has become a great inconvenience.

The issue:
While playing games my internet will drop and require me to go to my internet connection at the bottom right to right click and troubleshoot it. After that it will detect a problem and fix it by resetting my settings. It will work for a bit but do it again.
Lately it just disconnects and says it cannot connect to the hidden network. My network broadcasts the SSID and I have a WPA2 Personal password on it but all other wireless devices do not have this problem.

If you need more information please just tell me what to do and I will gladly reply.
23 REPLIES 23

dstrakele
Level 14
Hi @Synned - What version Atheros driver are you running?

Do the disconnections occur only during games?

What Antivirus software are you using? McAfee is reported to cause DPC Latency spikes that may result in network disconnections.

There may also be other drivers that may cause DPC Latency on your system. I recommend you troubleshoot with DPC Latency Checker.

If you connect to a friend's router, do you still experience disconnections?

It looks like others are experiencing this issue on Windows 7 (see http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fanswers.microsoft.com%...).
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I would also check your power settings.

Under Control Panel, Power Options, In whatever power plan you are using, click Change Plan Settings, then click on advanced power settings, scroll down the list to Wireless Adapter Settings, then down to Power Saving Mode. Set everything to Maximum performance. Do this for all power profiles. This helped me at a favorite public WiFi spot where connections would drop all the time.

I had the same problem as you.

• I called ASUS Customer Support.
  • I called the shop that sold me the laptop.
  • I asked on this forum.

None of the answers did any good, except one thing, changing WPA2 to WPA, then it worked.

I have no idea, why. But it works, so the question here is why does it work with WPA and not WPA2?

Why is it stable on WPA but not WPA2? I wonder.

(By the way, I didn't try to remove the drivers completely and re-install them, try that, maybe that works)
If not, then I have tried everything else that didn't comprimize my warranty).

But honestly, I am very curious if anyone can come up why my G75V wireless network random drops\disconnects, just as same as you described happens only if I have it on WPA2 and not WPA.

If you find the answer to that, then you find the real problem in this.

dstrakele
Level 14
Did you try @Yellow11's recommendation in the post immediately above yours?

dstrakele wrote:
Did you try @Yellow11's recommendation in the post immediately above yours?

Yes, it's one of the suggestions the ASUS Customer Support gave me. It won't fix the problem.

But why do everyone ignore my question with why a wireless network card in G75V works with WPA but not with WPA2 as it just continues to have random disconnects only with WPA2?

If you knew the answer to that, then we would know what is the problem.
Bad hardware?

dstrakele
Level 14
I've seen switching router Security and Encryption recommended in other articles, but they all say switch from WEP to WPA2 to resolve the disconnections.

Perhaps it's an Atheros driver issue, I know that early version Atheros drivers had bad DPC Latency on G74SX systems. This resulted in many performance issues with that model. They were resolved with driver version 9.2.1.470, which eliminated the latency. Unfortunately, it doesn't support the WiFi card in your laptop.

Well, I have heard people complain about the crappy Atheros cards in this machine. I think there is a thread about it here someplace.

What I would do is first try a different driver, after that I would put an Intel N-6235 card in it. However you need to take the machine apart to do it. You might not want to do that for warranty reasons.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6235.html

Yellow44 wrote:
Well, I have heard people complain about the crappy Atheros cards in this machine. I think there is a thread about it here someplace.

What I would do is first try a different driver, after that I would put an Intel N-6235 card in it. However you need to take the machine apart to do it. You might not want to do that for warranty reasons.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6235.html

I suggest anyone that has problem with G75V wireless, where you get randomly dropped (disconnected)
to set up a strong WPA password, change it regulary. Turn off the SSID broadcast.

Sure people that want to crack things, can do so.
But how many want to crack your wireless network? I assume most people have internet these days (at least around where I live).

I think for now, this is the only solution you will find that won't break any warranty, at least untill there will be some new drivers that fixes this problem.

rewben
Level 13
i use Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter (although i have g55, not g75). i have never had issues described here. i am using hidden/published ssid and wpa2-personal. the connection is fast enough, and i never get disconnected (unless i do it myself).

btw, i run on fresh windows install; use microsoft security essentials; also use latest driver from the web. the thing is, i had no problem with wireless when i used previous stock windows with stock drivers.