cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of buying a new Asus G75VW (or VX if it comes out in time). Need Advice!

arrow2pwnu
Level 7
Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum, and have done a little searching around and determined that this would be the best place to post this thread, if not, would a moderator please move it? I apologize. Anyways, on to the main topic.

I am looking to buy a new laptop, and for the past few weeks have been doing a LOT of research as to which would be the best bang for the buck, and have determined that ASUS would give me the best performance in my price range (<$2000). Now, I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask before I actually go ahead and make my investment into a brand spanking new gaming laptop.

First of all, I am aware of the fact that the new ASUS G75VX will be released soon, so if it is released in my budget and is worth it, I will buy that, so replace the model of the laptop that I state with that. Anyways, I am looking at the ASUS G75VW - DS72. One question I have is that it says it has an Nvidia GTX 670m included inside. I have looked for hours and have determined that the clock speeds are REALLY low compared to the 660m. I know I can overclock etc, but I will never reach the 800+ clock that the 660m has as its stock without having any heat problems. I would like to know if this will impact my performance in games? Or will the extra 1GB ram that the gfx card has be enough to make my games the same fps. Also, will this higher ram boost the performance, or is it there just to balance out the lower clocks?

Secondly, almost any gaming laptop has heat issues that come with it, and if I were to overclock the video card with the 670m, it would induce more problems. Does the laptop come with a good enough heatsink and fan that I can overclock a little and have almost no heat problems?

Finally, my current laptop (the ASUS U46E Bal-6) had 2 problems. One of which is the reason why I'm buying a new laptop. I always take care of my electronic devices. I had a laptop sleve that I put my U46E into before I took it anywhere. The sleeve was about 1 inch thick on all sides. On top of this, I put it in my backpack and into a protected pocket that my backpack has for laptops. I never throw around my backpack and I make sure to keep it extra safe with my laptop inside. Despite these facts, I noticed that after 9 months of having it, the hinges that help open the screen were starting to make a large cracking sound whenever I opened the lid. After around a month of having this problem, one of the hinges broke off completely. This could've been a flaw with just my laptop, but my friend who has the Bal-7 version says his did this too and he had to get it RMAd because it had happened to him within the first month of him having the laptop. Has this problem been sighted in the G75VW or was it just our model that happened to have this problem.

My FINAL question (Yeah I know I have a lot, I just want to know what I'm getting into), is that my U46E's mouse was REALLY sensitive. I would start typing an essay and realize halfway through my sentence that my cursor would've been clicked and I was typing in the middle of my paragraph. I was barely touching the touchpad and it would register me as clicking. I've never had this problem on any laptop before (maybe it could have been another defect with mine). Is this problem apparent in the G75VW too? Or again was it just my laptop model.

Thanks guys and sorry for asking so many questions. I hope someone could answer at least one for me, and I'd be very happy. Thanks - Arrow2pwnu
2 REPLIES 2

Shawnnepc
Level 13
WELCOME TO THE ROG COMMUNITY!

Never say sorry for asking questions 😄

Knowledge is power 🙂

The newer GPU will outperform the older GPU, but since it hasn't been released yet we don't know how much of a difference it will make.

The 670m beats out the 660m by a decent amount and as long as your budget allows it, i'd totally stick with that.

Not big on overclocking laptops, the risk usually outweighs the benefits. It will also void your warranty.

The G75 series has one of the best cooling systems in a laptop that i've seen. It's simply a fantastic laptop

Hinge design on the G series is significantly different compared to the other series. You shouldn't have that issue on any of the newer high end ASUS models (Z/X, K, A and B have some hinge issues)

ASUS trackpads are pretty sensitive compared to the other vendors and the G series is no different. If it causes a issue let us know, there's lots of tweaks that can help

arrow2pwnu wrote:
Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum, and have done a little searching around and determined that this would be the best place to post this thread, if not, would a moderator please move it? I apologize. Anyways, on to the main topic.

I am looking to buy a new laptop, and for the past few weeks have been doing a LOT of research as to which would be the best bang for the buck, and have determined that ASUS would give me the best performance in my price range (<$2000). Now, I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask before I actually go ahead and make my investment into a brand spanking new gaming laptop.

First of all, I am aware of the fact that the new ASUS G75VX will be released soon, so if it is released in my budget and is worth it, I will buy that, so replace the model of the laptop that I state with that. Anyways, I am looking at the ASUS G75VW - DS72. One question I have is that it says it has an Nvidia GTX 670m included inside. I have looked for hours and have determined that the clock speeds are REALLY low compared to the 660m. I know I can overclock etc, but I will never reach the 800+ clock that the 660m has as its stock without having any heat problems. I would like to know if this will impact my performance in games? Or will the extra 1GB ram that the gfx card has be enough to make my games the same fps. Also, will this higher ram boost the performance, or is it there just to balance out the lower clocks?

Secondly, almost any gaming laptop has heat issues that come with it, and if I were to overclock the video card with the 670m, it would induce more problems. Does the laptop come with a good enough heatsink and fan that I can overclock a little and have almost no heat problems?

Finally, my current laptop (the ASUS U46E Bal-6) had 2 problems. One of which is the reason why I'm buying a new laptop. I always take care of my electronic devices. I had a laptop sleve that I put my U46E into before I took it anywhere. The sleeve was about 1 inch thick on all sides. On top of this, I put it in my backpack and into a protected pocket that my backpack has for laptops. I never throw around my backpack and I make sure to keep it extra safe with my laptop inside. Despite these facts, I noticed that after 9 months of having it, the hinges that help open the screen were starting to make a large cracking sound whenever I opened the lid. After around a month of having this problem, one of the hinges broke off completely. This could've been a flaw with just my laptop, but my friend who has the Bal-7 version says his did this too and he had to get it RMAd because it had happened to him within the first month of him having the laptop. Has this problem been sighted in the G75VW or was it just our model that happened to have this problem.

My FINAL question (Yeah I know I have a lot, I just want to know what I'm getting into), is that my U46E's mouse was REALLY sensitive. I would start typing an essay and realize halfway through my sentence that my cursor would've been clicked and I was typing in the middle of my paragraph. I was barely touching the touchpad and it would register me as clicking. I've never had this problem on any laptop before (maybe it could have been another defect with mine). Is this problem apparent in the G75VW too? Or again was it just my laptop model.

Thanks guys and sorry for asking so many questions. I hope someone could answer at least one for me, and I'd be very happy. Thanks - Arrow2pwnu
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Here is a link to another thread, click on >>> Coming-Soon-G75VX
I hope this will shine some light on some of your questions?
Click this>>> GTX-670mx/specifications

Yes, and Welcome to ROG!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar