cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G75 with display and CPU problems, Help!

Flizard
Level 7
Hi there, I have recently purchased a G75VW BBK5 laptop, it is an ex demo model (so they say), and has 3 months warranty. I live in New Zealand.

CPU: i7 3840
GPU: GTX 660m
RAM: 16GB
HDD: 1TB (I have replaced it with a Samsung 830 256GB and a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB in second bay)
Windows 7 Professional

When it arrived it was running nicely and the display looked fantastic.

The thing I was not happy about was the C drive was partitioned into 2 volumes. I was recommended to 'Recover to whole Hard Drive' to remove the partition, and to remove the 750GB drive before doing it. So I did that but after removing the second drive I rebooted and the display has a blue line down the left side, 3-4 pixels wide, and the colours have gone weird. White have a pale yellow cast and colours with previously smooth gradients are now strangely banded. It is hard to describe easily.

If that was not enough, the CPU has now begun playing up. Before the Recovery I had HWINFO running and everything looked stable, the CPU's VID was consistently 0.91V, but after the recovery or more accurately the removal of the 750GB drive, the voltage is constantly varying from 0.91V to ~1.2V.

When I look at the CPU section of Resource Monitor, the cores (the green lines) are not overly active but the blue line (the Kernel?) is permanently at the top of the graph. Event manager has many Errors and Warnings about Processor-Kernel, the most recent being:

Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035

There are a couple of other issues:
2 unexpected shut downs, listed as 'Possible power loss to the Processor-Kernel'.
and one other that seems like a niggle but, even with the Touchpad disabled the buttons occasionally register, mostly the right one...

I will try to attach two jpg's of the screen that I took.

Anyone have any ideas? The technician at the place I bought it from is not a lot of help so far, maybe I will have to send it back, but if it is something easy to fix I would rather get it back to working well and stick with it because I liked it before all the issues sprung up.

Sorry long post, and hope someone can have something useful to suggest.
23 REPLIES 23

dstrakele
Level 14
That screen image doesn't look good. I recommend a) booting up with a Linux "LiveCD" distribution or b) performing an F9 ASUS Factory Restore to return your system to an out-of-the-box state. If the video issue persists, I would return the laptop to the retailer for exchange or a complete refund.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
That screen image doesn't look good. I recommend a) booting up with a Linux "LiveCD" distribution or b) performing an F9 ASUS Factory Restore to return your system to an out-of-the-box state. If the video issue persists, I would return the laptop to the retailer for exchange or a complete refund.

Hi there dstrakele, thanks for the reply.

It doesn't look good does it 😞 Even at the Asus logo bootup screen the blue bar is there. I did the F9 Asus Factory Restore, that was the last step of the process which produced this situation in the first place.

Anyway I have finally convinced the guys at the shop that there is something substantially wrong and am making arrangements to send it back to them and they will pass it on to Asus. How to go from little-boy excitement to old-man tiredness in several drawn out and frustrating steps lol.

I had those lines too, and just got a replacement G75 today, and like I thought would happen, they're back!

Flizard wrote:
Even at the Asus logo bootup screen the blue bar is there.

That is a key observation, Windows is not even loaded at that point, so it must be a hardware problem.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Hi all, awesome to get your feedback, unfortunately I am just about to fly out the door for an appointment so can't reply right now but will get back to you all as soon as I can!

Will try attaching external monitor before I do to see what happens, it's a good suggestion, thanks!

Flizard wrote:
Hi all, awesome to get your feedback, unfortunately I am just about to fly out the door for an appointment so can't reply right now but will get back to you all as soon as I can!

Will try attaching external monitor before I do to see what happens, it's a good suggestion, thanks!

It's pretty likely that it's a bad GPU.

But I did encounter a scenario recently with an Alienware that had a similar issue.

Long story short it was a driver glitch causing the refresh rate on the monitor to go WAY out of bounds and caused a similar artifacting issue.

We were able to resolve the issue by creating a custom resolution in the NVIDIA control panel and setting it to 59Hz.

But back to what Richard(Marshall@ASUS) said...

See if you can exchange it
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

I'm back, for a limited time 🙂

Two interesting results:

I connected another LCD to the laptop via a VGA cable, and rather than bringing the monitor to the laptop I took the laptop to the monitor. I found the external LCD was looking a million dollars (ROG wallpaper looks great!), while the laptop LCD was looking, well, broke...

While I was there I started up HWINFO expecting to see the CPU cores crazily dancing around from green to red incessantly, but apart from some minor activity to begin with, all cores settled down to idle and stayed there! I played around with the VGA cable, nothing, then I thought, maybe it's the power 'brick' causing it, eventually closed the lid of the laptop, opened it up and the cores were dancing again...

What does this all mean? An intermittent short in the connections of the lid? I don't know... Could the poor Quality control (forgotten the TLA for that one) that that indicates also explain why even with the Touchpad disabled, it still registers right clicks, occasionally? I don't know, really. I guess it will have to go back at the end of the day and get patched up, I agree with the person who said I would be lucky to get a total money refund, I will have to soldier on, and I am happy with that really, so long as they can get it working, I love it.

Parallel imports I am guessing is how this BBK came to be in Kiwi-land, they are all the rage down here and these days companies like Asus will take cash where ever they can get it 🙂

Anyway, any feedback on the results of that handy little experiment would be welcomed as this case seems to have touched a chord with one or two other Asus owners out there.

Cheers,
Flizard.

Area_66
Level 11
those are artifacts it's the GPU not the monitor, I have the same $hit on my desktop with a ENGTX 560, I try quite few drivers, I finally install the GPU on another PC, and I have 0 issues since that time.

Then how do you suggest I get rid of these? They're plaguing a ton of G75's and if you had a solution I'd EXTREMELY appreciate it.