cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show off your old sentimental build

TenBlade
Level 11
Have seen a few pic.s of older setups lately. If you, like I, are having a difficult time getting rid of an old mobo or setup, or just wish to reminisce on an old build that really took you somewhere, or perhaps you´re still using it?! then show it off, and tell us your story.

I´ll start out with my first, and until recently only, ROG-board, the Striker II Extreme. First time modding. Took off the heat-pipe system, unscrewed the NB-waterblock, found out it was glued on as well! Used a hammer and a chisel and knocked the wb off in one clean chop. That got my adrenaline going, I was certain I was going to wreck the whole shabang. Applied thin thermal tape on contact surfaces, and reattached the heat-pipe. Then, after adding the cpu cooler I carefully twisted the heat-pipes in the Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II NB cooler to make it lean away from the cpu cooler (which HAD to be oriented in a fashion that left no room for the NB-cooler).

Had some Corsair 1333 MHz memory sticks. Baked them in the oven, and at exactly 70 C / 158 F took them out to peel off the thin good for hardly anything aluminium cooling plates, and attached some Thermalright High Riser coolers, set voltage to auto and clocked them to 1600. As you can see here, I was going to have the air flow in the same direction, that´s why I couldn´t orient the Zalman cooler the other way. Stuck a piece of paper between the curved pipes and the GPU just to make sure there wouldn´t be any contact.

My GTX 260 got the Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme tri-fan cooler, after X-plane on high settings started cooking my gpu, and it also became very quiet! That mod was some undertaking in itself, I´ll see if I can dig up some pic.s of the process.

Finally assembled, my ugliest build yet, but, man I loved it, like you love an ugly dog :cool:
"Ixnay-on-the-wire-mess-tay!" Yeah, I know my pig-latin sucks, but you get my point 😉

Later I had to get a better and more silent cooler, the big lump up top is that Scythe Mugen II cooler, that I have recommended (@PlaneName 🙂 ) Added an extra rear exhaust fan that almost touches the heat sink, so aaalmost push pull config 😉 But the die hard RAM-sticks had to go 😞 And with the modular PSU it started to look a bit more tidy, and thanks to the diodes, this crude rig looked really pimped in the dark :cool:.

Thanks for watching! Hope to see some of your oldies-but-goodies.
3 REPLIES 3

Area_66
Level 11
First ROG board I purchase, a Maximus Extreme , was on another case before and WC, but now it's still runing in the kitchen,

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Did the wife appreciate baked memory with her bread? :cool: Still, that is an impressive load of work! I can see why you are hanging on to it, @TenBlade.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

TenBlade
Level 11
Mmmh, crunchy Corsair crackers 😛 Well, she didn´t expect my hobby to span all the way into the kitchen, that´s for sure, neither did I... But those were desparate times :rolleyes:
I think I´ll get a used cpu for it, and tuck it all away and wait till my boy grows bigger and "techy", and we´ll have some fun with an old steam engine lol.

And thanks for sharing, Area 66 :cool: