cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 Rubrerized Palm Rest Issues.

Bran187
Level 9
So today I noticed that the front edge of the palm rest on my G55 is slightly separating from the chassis. Its only about a two inch section slightly to the right of the card reader slot. I just noticed it today. I don't know if its always been like this or if this is new.

I treat my G55 like a baby which is why im a bit concerned.

Has anyone had any similar issues or ever heard of anything like this happening?

I will post a picture later today when I get a chance.
12 REPLIES 12

finalhour
Level 11
my g75 does too...well it creaks when I rest my hand on it...
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

The same thing is on my G55, but it appeared not from "the box" state, but because of disassemble I made to install my mSata SSD drive! Yes, it's a little bit irritative, but it does not affect my gaming or surfing process! It appeared because in process of disassembling I broke some of keyboard panel's hooks a little bit! So for that reason it is always necessary to disassemle your notebook with great care!
ASUS G55VW-S1061V, BIOS #206, CPU Intel i7-3610M (2,3GHz@3,3GHZ in boost), RAM DDR3-1600 4x4Gb Corsair Vegneance (9-9-9-24, 1T), GPU nVidia GeForce GTX 660M (2Gb GDDR5), mSata SSD OCZ NOCTI 120Gb (Sata2), SSD OCZ Agility 4 256Gb (Sata3, HDD bay), HDD 2,5" Hitachi 1Tb (Sata2, ODD bay), Windows 7 x64 SP1 (7,3 points)...

See that's the thing. I haven't done any disassembly (except for the swapping out the screen, but that's a completely different section of the laptop).

Huh. I guess its not really a big deal. I just wish I knew what caused it so I could prevent it from getting any worse.

P.S. thanks for the replies guys. 🙂

Bran187 wrote:
See that's the thing. I haven't done any disassembly (except for the swapping out the screen, but that's a completely different section of the laptop).

Huh. I guess its not really a big deal. I just wish I knew what caused it so I could prevent it from getting any worse.

P.S. thanks for the replies guys. 🙂

I also have a G55 and I don't see any problems with the rubberized palm rest. I wonder with the "except for the swapping out the screen" part. Did you bring your lappy to someone for a screen swap? Maybe When they were disassembling the screen, they accidentally scratched or damaged that specific part of your lappy with their tools or whatsoever they used during the process.

The only problem I got with my G55 is the sticker that comes with it (with some general specs written on it). It has a small bubbly part near its lower right edge (but it's almost unnoticeable). I also remember one time, a part of the sticker easily peeled off when I cleaned it with a cloth. But it's just easy to re-stick it so there's no problem about it.

Oh and there's one more thing that I have observed: The gaming mouse that comes with the G55VW-DS71, the "Republic of Gamers" part of it where your palm would rest is now fading and i have observed that there are these very tiny bubles inside of it. Maybe it is because of my sweaty hands. My point is, there is this part on the right most part of the part rest of G55 that has the same-looking ROG logo and I believe they are made with the same material so don't put your sweaty hands on it if you don't want it to fade or get removed.

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
Hi, could you provide photo for us?

Yeah I will upload a pic in just a second. Sorry for the delay, work has been nuts past few days and didn't get a chance to do it when i origionally had intended.

hlorenzl wrote:
I also have a G55 and I don't see any problems with the rubberized palm rest. I wonder with the "except for the swapping out the screen" part. Did you bring your lappy to someone for a screen swap? Maybe When they were disassembling the screen, they accidentally scratched or damaged that specific part of your lappy with their tools or whatsoever they used during the process.

The only problem I got with my G55 is the sticker that comes with it (with some general specs written on it). It has a small bubbly part near its lower right edge (but it's almost unnoticeable). I also remember one time, a part of the sticker easily peeled off when I cleaned it with a cloth. But it's just easy to re-stick it so there's no problem about it.

Nope did it myself. (Only person I trust for the job lol) And like I say its a completly different part of the laptop.

Lol That sticker came with a giant bubble/wrinkle down the middle of it. I tired but failed multiple times to smoothe it out, but eventually I got annoyed and just took it off. I normally leave all those stickers on but that one made my OCD go nuts. lol

Here they are.

For some reason these pictures make it look alot more dramatic then it is in real life. It really is just a 1 1/2 to 2 inch section of the palm rest and it is just barely separating. Its enough for me to notice obviously but these pictures really do make it look worse then it is.

Like I said other then the screen swap, which was a completely different part of the laptop (not to mention I did it right after I recieved the laptop back in July), I havent done anything else to her.

Thanks again guys and sorry for the bad flash in the pics. Its pretty late at night here.

Pitcher1
Level 9
Hi, could you provide photo for us?

ggBanks
Level 10
It looks like a screw hasn't been tightened correctly. Open up the HDD panel and right on the spot you experience the separating there should be a screw. Try to tighten it and come back with the results.

ggBanks wrote:
It looks like a screw hasn't been tightened correctly. Open up the HDD panel and right on the spot you experience the separating there should be a screw. Try to tighten it and come back with the results.

If it is a screw, its directly under the HDD. How big of a deal is it to pop these guys in and out?