cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73JH RMA - My experience

Keith_Smith
Level 8
First off I use my laptop every single day whether its for gaming or just browsing I have it on. I play steam games a few times a week and java games other times. When I play on steam I have it on the highest setting I can play without lag. Also I bought this laptop in February of 2010 as a new unit.

So just before thanksgiving I was playing one night and turned it off as normal. The next morning I turned it on and got nothing on screen. The laptop appeared to be booting as normal with the exception of no on screen display.I rebooted a few times and nothing. So i decided to see if it was the screen it self, maybe the screen magnet sensor, or the video card by plugging it into my Hdmi monitor. Hooked the hdmi up and got nothing. So i decided to try to try to repaste the gpu since i was out of warranty by almost a year. I got it apart until i had to take the keyboard out. It had some kind of adhesive holding it down and I ended up bending the keyboard and the backing came partly off. So i gave up and decided to RMA it asap.

I called Asus and spoke to an english speaking rep who was very helpful and sent the rma form to my email asap. I printed the form and filled it out with the problems I was having. I didn't mention the keyboard as I was hoping I hadn't actually broke it. I specifically said not to format the hdd also. I had it boxed up and ready to the next day. I used the cheapest shipping USPS had which came to just under $18. I shipped it on the 11th of November and I received an email from the techs on November 20th with the charges for the repairs to take place.

Cost of repairs (all amounts are USD) – enter amounts on credit card form: Parts - $119.00 (Video Graphics Card- $109.00 & Heat Sink- $10.00) Labor - $65.00 + Shipping.

I used the $30 Overnight shipping. I actually didn't know they had sent the email on the 20th until the 26th. So I made my payment via credit card form through fax the next day. The charges in my opinion were very reasonable and cheaper than I had expected.

So I was told it would be 3-5 business days after the payment was processed to fix and ship the unit. I received the unit back today, November 30th.

Plugged it in ASAP and booted it up. Everything was perfect and my hdd was as I had left it. They even replaced the keyboard at no charge!

So I'm VERY satisfied with the service I received as an out of warranty repair customer. Also my unit went to the Biz Com repair center in Milpitas, CA incase anyone is wondering. The rma number began with USG also. I hope this helps anyone in the same situation feel better about RMA there laptop.

Good luck everyone! I will be testing my unit with gaming tonight and let you all know of anything changes!
ASUS G73JH
2 REPLIES 2

Shawnnepc
Level 13
Keith Smith wrote:
First off I use my laptop every single day whether its for gaming or just browsing I have it on. I play steam games a few times a week and java games other times. When I play on steam I have it on the highest setting I can play without lag. Also I bought this laptop in February of 2010 as a new unit.

So just before thanksgiving I was playing one night and turned it off as normal. The next morning I turned it on and got nothing on screen. The laptop appeared to be booting as normal with the exception of no on screen display.I rebooted a few times and nothing. So i decided to see if it was the screen it self, maybe the screen magnet sensor, or the video card by plugging it into my Hdmi monitor. Hooked the hdmi up and got nothing. So i decided to try to try to repaste the gpu since i was out of warranty by almost a year. I got it apart until i had to take the keyboard out. It had some kind of adhesive holding it down and I ended up bending the keyboard and the backing came partly off. So i gave up and decided to RMA it asap.

I called Asus and spoke to an english speaking rep who was very helpful and sent the rma form to my email asap. I printed the form and filled it out with the problems I was having. I didn't mention the keyboard as I was hoping I hadn't actually broke it. I specifically said not to format the hdd also. I had it boxed up and ready to the next day. I used the cheapest shipping USPS had which came to just under $18. I shipped it on the 11th of November and I received an email from the techs on November 20th with the charges for the repairs to take place.

Cost of repairs (all amounts are USD) – enter amounts on credit card form: Parts - $119.00 (Video Graphics Card- $109.00 & Heat Sink- $10.00) Labor - $65.00 + Shipping.

I used the $30 Overnight shipping. I actually didn't know they had sent the email on the 20th until the 26th. So I made my payment via credit card form through fax the next day. The charges in my opinion were very reasonable and cheaper than I had expected.

So I was told it would be 3-5 business days after the payment was processed to fix and ship the unit. I received the unit back today, November 30th.

Plugged it in ASAP and booted it up. Everything was perfect and my hdd was as I had left it. They even replaced the keyboard at no charge!

So I'm VERY satisfied with the service I received as an out of warranty repair customer. Also my unit went to the Biz Com repair center in Milpitas, CA incase anyone is wondering. The rma number began with USG also. I hope this helps anyone in the same situation feel better about RMA there laptop.

Good luck everyone! I will be testing my unit with gaming tonight and let you all know of anything changes!

Awesome!

Glad to hear that everything worked out 😄
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

kb0sdq
Level 10
That is so cool,Glad it worked out for ya.We normally hear about all the nightmares folks went thru trying to get their machines fixed.I have the G73jh also I bought it from Bestbuy I still have it under the geek squad warranty. Luckily all I have had to do is get a new battery (free) since I bought it a few years ago.I did a clean install of windows,I feel that has helped it last.Also I was folding on this machine while gaming.
Enjot your lappy.
Happy ROG_n
Doug