cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advised needed for new computer

jl808
Level 7
Hi guys, it’s been a long while since I've done any research or looked into upgrading my PC but its long overdue and I'm looking for some advice. Well I'm not sure which route I want to go down but there are a few options I'm considering. I've been looking at getting a 3930K with RIVE, a 3770k with Maximus V, or maybe even waiting it out a little longer for the IB-E Processor to be release.

It's been around 6 years since building my current PC and a lot has changed since. Currently running a Q6600 oc to 3.3 with a 680i (yes its been that long) with 8gb dominator, two GTX 275, don't remember what power supply I have but its a thermaltake 1200w (not too sure and not willing removing it to check) in a thermaltake armor case. Used to play CS a lot (started at beta 5 stopped shortly after source came out), SC, wow vanilla, and other HL games along with doing some video encoding. Haven't have much time last few years to game so I haven't had the need to upgrade but with some extra time now and some really good looking games coming out I think its time to finally upgrade.

Budget: Don't really have one
Main uses of intended build: Video encoding/rendering & gaming.
Parts required: Building complete new pc from cpu to case.
Previous build information (list details of parts): q6600 with 680i
Monitor resolution: 1920 x 1080
Storage requirements: Not sure, maybe a couple SSD in raid 0 for OS and two 3tb
Will you be overclocking: yes
Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
Extra information about desired system:

I was pretty much set on getting the 3930K with RIVE but also saw good reviews on the 3700k with Maximus V and then again it won't be too long before IB-E is released (would like to upgrade now though). I guess I really just want the best out there so I wouldn't have to upgrade in years again.

As far as other components I like to get
GeForce GTX 690
CORSAIR Hydro Series H100 (CWCH100) as a cpu cooler
A case that will fit the H100, thinking about the Thermaltake Level 10 GT or Corsair Obsidian Series 800D.(Haven't really found a case I like so far)
I'm not too sure on which type of ram and how much ram to get, which SSD to get and Power Supply.

Any advice / recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Tenshi
Level 7
Hi, check the new Corsair H100i, is better than its predecessor.

hsp25
Level 8
Seeings though budget is not a great concern and you wish to do video editing, you may wish to consider a revodrive for os instead of ssd in raid. It will be faster and more stable

hsp25 wrote:
Seeings though budget is not a great concern and you wish to do video editing, you may wish to consider a revodrive for os instead of ssd in raid. It will be faster and more stable

Sounds interesting. Is there a test out there you could link to? I´d like to know how much faster a revo would be, and how much benefit one would gain from it. Thx

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you have your eye on IB-E and you do video encoding then the RIVE and the quad channel RAM will be right up your street. You can put a 3930K in there and update as and when IB-E comes out.

RAM for this platform I would say G.Skill Z series or Corsair Dominator or Platinum. Buy as much as you want in one kit from the outset. 16GB is probably enough for anything but if you want to use some for a RAM disk etc. then a good 32GB single kit. (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide&country=&status=)

The SSDs about now are all going to work great and for real world stuff are going to be identical in performance so just get one based on price per GB and have a look at lifespan in MTBF and write cycles size I would recommend 240GB since they perform best and last longer if they have room spare on them.

The PSU I'd get from Seasonic an 850 X or P-1000 something like that.

The 800D is a nice case but this is personal and there are a whole load of other cases that will fit the H100i (H100i works better than it's predecessor) HAF X, Stormtrooper......

HiVizMan
Level 40
There is a big difference between casual video encoding every now and then, and professional encoding from a build perspective.

The RIVE board (or the formula) would suite the casual, while the Maximus range the Pro.

There are performance implications, with the Maximus being more efficient in single threaded applications and having between 4 and 8 threads available for multi threaded applications. A simply amazing memory controller that allows very high memory frequency with little or no effort, and produces less heat than the X79 processors. The Rampage range has a maximum of 12 threads available, and has quad channel memory. Downside is that the X79 is a whole heap more tricky to get stable, and of course having more cores produces more heat.

VGA performance on both platforms is pretty much the same for single cards, it is only when you go two or three cards that the X79 startst to pull away. My choice right now is the Maximus V Formula. Best gaming and general use ROG board right now.

690 is a peach of a card and I will recommend to anyone who is thinking about getting one.

An SSD set up in RAID 0 for OS is a risk I will no longer take. Yes it is quick but not quick enough to be worth the risk. Further I would only endorse a non Sandforce controller, I do not care that folks say the problems have been fixed, why take a chance. Samsung, Crucial and those Intels who do not use the Sandforce controllers.

Your PSU size wise is perfect, however it is a number of years old, and I would not be comfortable with a 6 year old PSU in my rig. A solid 1000 Watt unit from any of the major respected brands is a win, JG is the one place I would trust a review on PSU's The key thing with PSU's is that they seldom make their own, and it is the same five or six manufactures that will make them for all vendors. OEM makers is what they call it. And one vendor can use two or three OEM builders depending on model.

Case 600T with the H110i is a lovely build. There is an added bonus with Maximus v Rampage and H100 namely the need for VRM cooling on the Rampage boards to prevent CPU throttling. Not needed on t he Maximus.

Memmory, there it is much easier on the Maximus, than on the Rampage. The IMC is so good on the Z77 processors that any thing you stick into the motherboard will work pretty much first time. The price of good quality kits is very good, 32GB on a Z77 board (Maximus) is very doable.

But what ever you decide on you will have a top system that will do the job for you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

jl808
Level 7
Thanks for all the replies. After considering everything I decided to go with the 3930K and RIVE. Here is a list of components I've chosen. Any thing I should get differently?

Intel Core i7-3930K
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
EVGA GeForce GTX690
Corsair AX 1200i
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i
COOLER MASTER HAF X
OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G - SSD for OS

Thanks again for all your input.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

HiVizMan
Level 40
Good to go. One hellava system you are going to have there.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Maybe u could checkout a faster OCZ revodrive or a new OCZ vector if PCI ssd isnt what your looking for...
CPU Intel i7 5960X@ 4.5Ghz
RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 2400mhz
GPU 2 X EVGA GTX 980 in SLI
SSD 2 X Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
HDD 2 X WD RE 4TB
MOBO Asus Rampage V Extreme
PSU Corsair AX 1500i
CASE Corsair 900D
DISPLAY 2 X ROG Swift