cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIndows 8 Perfomance

siddique305
Level 7
Windows 8 Uses More Graphics Horsepower Than Windows 7 !! In In Windows 7 Windows Experience Index Was 7.4 For 3D Aero And Gaming Graphics And In Windows 8 It Is 7.2 ! Same Results In Gaming Too.... Battlefield 3 - Windows 8 = 30fps And Windows 7 = 50-60fps ! I Hope Nvidia Will update thier Drivers Soon (For Windows 8). By The Way, What Do you Think About Windows 8 ? I Hate It, Trying To Downgrade To Windows 7 !
10 REPLIES 10

Quasimodem
Level 10
siddique305 wrote:
Windows 8 Uses More Graphics Horsepower Than Windows 7 !! In In Windows 7 Windows Experience Index Was 7.4 For 3D Aero And Gaming Graphics And In Windows 8 It Is 7.2 ! Same Results In Gaming Too.... Battlefield 3 - Windows 8 = 30fps And Windows 7 = 50-60fps ! I Hope Nvidia Will update thier Drivers Soon (For Windows 8). By The Way, What Do you Think About Windows 8 ? I Hate It, Trying To Downgrade To Windows 7 !

The performance index in Windows 8 goes up to 9.9 not 7.9
G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi

Adyghost
Level 8
Won't be using Windows 8 for about another year... trying to figure out how to downgrade to 7 on a G75VX seeing as it won't support Windows 7drivers.

Adyghost wrote:
Won't be using Windows 8 for about another year... trying to figure out how to downgrade to 7 on a G75VX seeing as it won't support Windows 7drivers.

Most of the drivers are the 7 versions for G75vw....

PM me your gtalk, or other IM info... I'll assist... too slow in the threads to help...

http://www.google.com/talk
G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi

Adyghost
Level 8
Well I don't even have the VX yet, I'm just anticipating the new drivers, maybe from the mobo and soundcard... Thanks for the help, I'm definitely downgrading to 7 so I'll be in touch 🙂

Adyghost wrote:
Well I don't even have the VX yet, I'm just anticipating the new drivers, maybe from the mobo and soundcard... Thanks for the help, I'm definitely downgrading to 7 so I'll be in touch 🙂

If you go to the support site, you can see that most of them are the same... For the 670mx the 8 driver can be installed on 7... And same for any other drivers you have to use the 8 version... Just hit me up if you need help...

timppu
Level 9
siddique305 wrote:
Windows 8 Uses More Graphics Horsepower Than Windows 7 !! In In Windows 7 Windows Experience Index Was 7.4 For 3D Aero And Gaming Graphics And In Windows 8 It Is 7.2 ! Same Results In Gaming Too.... Battlefield 3 - Windows 8 = 30fps And Windows 7 = 50-60fps ! I

I see some people claiming the opposite, ie. Windows 8 gives better (also gaming) performance than Windows 7. But I don't see either.

I'm currently running both side by side on G75, and I don't see any gaming performance difference between the two. E.g. 3DMark11 gives exactly similar scores on both. I haven't run many in-game benchmark tests, but overall games seem to run with similar performance.

If Battlefield 3 gives 50% less performance in Win8, it is most probably some bug in e.g. the graphics drivers, vsync being forced on or something like that.

Bran187
Level 9
siddique305 wrote:

I have identical performance in 90 percent of my games. And in the other 10 percent some being slightly higher FPS then win 7 and some being slightly lower then win7. In both cases the difference has been like 2-3 fps gain/loss between the two, so in my opinion there is no 'better' or 'worse' OS for gaming. BF3 is one of those games where my performance is identical.

Personally I love windows 8. All programs I have tried have worked without a problem. I love the live tiles, as it makes it super easy to access all my info (email, news feed, social networking, Xbox live, ect) all in one place. Not to mention boot times seem to be WAY faster. Add to the list that windows 8 is better looking and feels so much more fluid and I was sold.

College student and a Modder in my spare time. Have run into 0 complications in either respect with windows 8.

Bran187 wrote:

Not to mention boot times seem to be WAY faster.

I think this is mainly because the Windows 8 "shutdown" is apparently not a proper shutdown, but closer to hibernate mode, ie. it saves at least partly your state, and loads that when you power up your PC again.

I'm still investigating it, but to me it seems this "semi-shutdown" is the reason why some G75 users like me can't get to BIOS setup (F2) when we power up after the shutdown (restart from Win8 may work though), and also it may be the reason Win8 seems to sometimes cause data corruption to the Win7 partition, if you are running Win7 and Win8 side by side.

This "fast boot" feature can be disabled from the power (power button) options in Win8 control panel, and at least for me it fixes the inability to get to BIOS setup on power on, and hopefully it also fixes the Win7 partition data corruption too (still investigating). But if you disable it, the boot times seem to become quite slow again. I'm fine with that though.

timppu wrote:
I think this is mainly because the Windows 8 "shutdown" is apparently not a proper shutdown, but closer to hibernate mode, ie. it saves at least partly your state, and loads that when you power up your PC again.

I'm still investigating it, but to me it seems this "semi-shutdown" is the reason why some G75 users like me can't get to BIOS setup (F2) when we power up after the shutdown (restart from Win8 may work though), and also it may be the reason Win8 seems to sometimes cause data corruption to the Win7 partition, if you are running Win7 and Win8 side by side.

This "fast boot" feature can be disabled from the power (power button) options in Win8 control panel, and at least for me it fixes the inability to get to BIOS setup on power on, and hopefully it also fixes the Win7 partition data corruption too (still investigating). But if you disable it, the boot times seem to become quite slow again. I'm fine with that though.

Here's something related that I found Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8 I think you're right about the fast boot thing.