cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need your help Purchasing G75VW-Excited but need some feedback

Samusfury
Level 7
Hello everyone, I really like the ASUS design and price point of the G75VW.
I plan to purchase one tomorrow, and I need your help in deciding between 2 models. Specific feedback of any type is very much appreciated. I am a PC gamer, so the laptop is for just that. I play WOW, SWTOR, Diablo 3, borderlands 2, AC3 etc. Here are the two options I have available

3630QM 2.4ghz /w Windows 8
12 GB Ram
750GB HDD (7200RPM)
Blu-Ray
660m
1600X900 display -> anyone with this display VERY interested in feedback on it vs. 1920x1080 is it much worse?

Option 2
3610QM 2.3ghz /w Windows 7
8GB Ram
750GB HDD (7200RPM)
DVD Drive
GTX 670m
1920x1080 Disply

Price points are identical. The key difference is trading a slight processor lift, 4gb of ram and blu-ray worth getting the 670m chip? I want to be able to play my games and HDMI them to my TV a lot of time as well which is a 60" 1080P HDTV.

I like the 660m unit overall, but am nervous about 2 things, the display resolution and quality, vs 1080p display, and is the 660m going to be enough for my gaming desires at 1080p? With the 670m model, will it make enough of a difference? I have read 670 is about 15-20% better FPS, can anyone here confirm this? Also with the Windows 7 UNIT, is it possible to put Windows 8 on it? and if so how would I do that? Purcahse a straight up upgrade package seperatley like a normal Desktop?

This is a big purchase for me and I want it to last a good 2 years, all feedback is appreciated,
Thanks so much :cool:
16 REPLIES 16

mrwolf
Level 10
Hey Samufury, welcome to the forum

By looking at your options, i dont know exactly what the 1600x900 display is like but the 670M would be a fair advantage over the 660M. However the 660M is kepler based and runs alot cooler than the 670's. Which means you can highly overclock it to reach 670M levels. Then again the 670M can easily surpass the 675M in terms of performance when overclocked also.

I would recommend you go with the more beefy 670M.

But since this is a big purchase for you and you want it to last i would highly suggest you look into the G75-VX. I believe this comes with 670MX which is kepler based and has alott more cuda cores than the current 670M.

DirtyCodingHabi
Level 9
I think you should wait just a bit longer and get G75VX, imo. You'll get better CPU, GPU and other new stuff.

Performance for 600 series GPU's (Notebook)

Unfortunatly this is a Holiday Gift from my wife and I need to make a call, baby coming in March so I want to have this purchase out of the way:) Also i am in Canada, and model options available are limited to the 660M/670M. Ahh this is a stressful decision for me.

Adyghost
Level 8
Somebody said the G75VX was just made available in Canada. Check out some retailers and look at the options.

Looking at your options it's a tough call to make. At this point there really shouldn't even be a 1600x900 screen option in a 17" gaming laptop, 1920x1080 is the way to go. However, the 660M is built on a better, more efficient technology, although it runs slightly behind the 670M. The other considerations are left to choice, not to mention you can upgrade RAM and hard drive yourself.

Adyghost
Level 8
Somebody said the G75VX was just made available in Canada. Check out some retailers and look at the options.

Looking at your options it's a tough call to make. At this point there really shouldn't even be a 1600x900 screen option in a 17" gaming laptop, 1920x1080 is the way to go. However, the 660M is built on a better, more efficient technology, although it runs slightly behind the 670M. The other considerations are left to choice, not to mention you can upgrade RAM and hard drive yourself.

Samusfury
Level 7
Thank you and I appreciate your feedback, and look forward to hearing more from all of you experienced owners! No sign of the 670MX unit being available in Canada. Anyone have the 1600x900 panel? how is it?
670M vs. 660M is the real question here I suppose.

BUMP - Any feedback from owners, on the 660m vs. 670m Performance, and the 1600x900 vs. 1920x1080 display would be greatly appreciated. When I viewed the 1600x900 in-store I was a little underwhelmed.
Help me make this decision, I want to buy tomorrow! 🙂
Thanks again

AverageK
Level 7
Hey buddy, welcome to the ROG forums 🙂 I don't mean to scare you off, but it's worth keeping in mind that a good number of people are facing problems with their screens, and a lot of them, myself included, did not start noticing this problem until after a while of owning the laptop. Check out these threads for more info:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23509-Horizontal-Lines-plague-all-BBK5&country=&status=

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23419-I-m-the-only-one-left-annoyed-with-flicker-amp-black-...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20249-Weird-faint-screen-lines-over-everything-on-G75WV-BBK...

My advice is to download a few of the pics that people have reported seeing the problem on, put them on a usb stick, and then try them out on the display model in the store or on the laptop itself before taking it out of the store! As far as I know, the problem is prevalent on the 1920x1080 screen models.

Ask the store for their return and exchange policies, in case this problem arises, or in case you're not 100% satisfied with the purchase.

I bought mine around the end of May, and apart from this very annoying problem, I've been really impressed with the performance of this laptop! It runs almost every game I want, and you usually don't have to sacrifice graphics for performance (I choose to turn off a couple options here and there in exchange for a solid 60fps in some games). I have the 670m btw, and it's awesome. I know it doesn't run as cool as the 660m, but you probably won't notice much since the cooling system is so good! This is, ironically, the only laptop that I've been able to consistently use while it's on my lap, even while gaming!

Anyway, weigh your options well, and good luck! Let us know how it goes and feel free to ask more questions 🙂

Adyghost
Level 8
I'm sorry you can't wait more, if you buy tomorrow you'll be settling... Amazon.ca has only one G75VX model in stock, might not be your price level though.