cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering picking up G46VW (Current XPS Owner)

Coderedpl
Level 7
Hi there,

I currently have a Dell XPS 15z.

Intel Core i7 - 2640m @ 2.80GHz
8.00gb Memory
64 Bit
720gb hard drive (and I have replaced the optical drive with an SSD)
Nvidia GeForce GT 525M

At this point I'm considering something else. I'm out of warranty on this laptop and figured it's about time to pickup something new. I've had replacement laptops since I bought the first XPS 4 years ago. Each one had its own little issue. Worst comes to worst I can get squaretrade warranty on the Asus.

1. Do you guys think I'll see THAT much of a difference with the G46VW?
2. Is it worth the "upgrade"?
3. Is it possible to add a secondary hard drive?
10 REPLIES 10

ForCeV
Level 10
Coderedpl wrote:
Hi there,

At this point I'm considering something else. I'm out of warranty on this laptop and figured it's about time to pickup something new. I've had replacement laptops since I bought the first XPS 4 years ago. Each one had its own little issue. Worst comes to worst I can get squaretrade warranty on the Asus.

1. I don't think so unless you concern to play the games mainly. The CPU performance is good enough currently.
2. same answer above my word.
3. No you have only one space for 46vw model.

ggBanks
Level 10
Hey buddy. Listen here. If you have the 18 inch XPS and if you buy the G46 then I think you will find it a bit disappointing. First off the XPS is one of the very few laptops that use LED display, and the G46 has LED backlit display which in terms of quality is two even more times worse!

The GPU of the G46 though will give you a massive boost over that 525 you have over there, and yes the G46 has one HDD bay, but if you don't use your DVD drive, you can swap it with a caddy that can hold one more HDD.

About product support I think Dell has much better product support than ASUS concerning their high end products such as the XPS and Alienware series.

My advise to you is get a piece of paper, make a line through the middle from top to bottom, on the left write advantages and disadvantages of your XPS, and on the right the same for the G46. Then for each advantage add a point to the laptop that has this advantage and for each disadvantage take one off. At the end the laptop with more points wins. That's how I chose my G55 over the Toshiba Satellite P850 and the ASUS N76. I hope I was helpful. Cheers and take care 🙂

ggBanks wrote:
Hey buddy. Listen here. If you have the 18 inch XPS and if you buy the G46 then I think you will find it a bit disappointing. First off the XPS is one of the very few laptops that use LED display, and the G46 has LED backlit display which in terms of quality is two even more times worse!

The GPU of the G46 though will give you a massive boost over that 525 you have over there, and yes the G46 has one HDD bay, but if you don't use your DVD drive, you can swap it with a caddy that can hold one more HDD.

About product support I think Dell has much better product support than ASUS concerning their high end products such as the XPS and Alienware series.

My advise to you is get a piece of paper, make a line through the middle from top to bottom, on the left write advantages and disadvantages of your XPS, and on the right the same for the G46. Then for each advantage add a point to the laptop that has this advantage and for each disadvantage take one off. At the end the laptop with more points wins. That's how I chose my G55 over the Toshiba Satellite P850 and the ASUS N76. I hope I was helpful. Cheers and take care 🙂

OP's dell is a 15", so comparison to a really nice 18" is unclear, and the G46 doesn't have an optical drive, so swapping in a HD there doesn't help.

The G46 will be a much faster than your Dell XPS 15z current comp.

The G46, while it only has one HDD slot, DOES HAVE AN MSATA slot. I have asked a number of times, it is as yet unclear (unanswered) how hard it is to access the MSATA and add one yourself. The alienware 14" IS easy to add an msata drive to, but, it is very loud under load, the Asus is much quieter.

ON brands ... I had a DELL XPS 1701 gaming computer, and a Dell / alienware dual GPU M17X R1. While all companies may have issues, I am sure my next computer won't be a Dell, I can't imagine the SYSTEMATIC bugs with these two flagship Dell models could be worse with any other company.

GL on your decision!

finalhour
Level 11
Coderedpl wrote:
Hi there,

I used to think that ASUS was better than DELL. My experience with their lack of any sort of official response to many issues with the G Series has taught me that ASUS is just as bad if not worse. I'd rather get DELL in the future because at least their tech support knows what the hell is going on when you call them, even if they are outsourced to some other country (ASUS seems to be too...)

I would caution against buying that model until it's been out for a few months. If I had waited on my G75 I would have not bought it and would be much happier, with an MSI instead, or perhaps a dell (who knows!). Many issues are not known initially when a new product is launched and it may take weeks and hundreds of users to begin to pick up trends/notice problems that are inherent to a specific model of computer. With that said, I'd trust DELL more than ASUS, to do the right thing by their customers and fix any sort of issues that arise after launch. So haha sorry for the long post but wait for the reviews/reactions of actual users (not CNET or other blogs) to see if it's worth buying, my guess, based on your current rig and the standards you have for support of a machine at that price level, is that you won't like an ASUS G46VW.
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

ggBanks
Level 10
Oops sorry, forgot that the G46 doesn't have an optical 😄 I am used to seeing opticals everywhere except in ultras, so yeah my bad. In that case the G46 is a good choice.

Let's hope my current laptop sells quick.

ggBanks wrote:
Oops sorry, forgot that the G46 doesn't have an optical 😄 I am used to seeing opticals everywhere except in ultras, so yeah my bad. In that case the G46 is a good choice.

Ya, the G46 WANTS to be an ultra so bad .... 🙂 its sort of an "ultra for gaming", but, not quite as ultra as the 11 inch clevos. 🙂

Daylife
Level 9
I will never ever use a DELL/Alienware again.........The worst experience.

Daylife wrote:
I will never ever use a DELL/Alienware again.........The worst experience.

Pretty much this.

As a prior Dell / Alienware reseller it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had.

There's been some support issues brought up on the forum that are legitimate but the majority of support cases are solved to the customers satisfaction.

If there's any issues with support be sure to contact cl-scott on the forums.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com