cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading to an ssd

kaelrysh
Level 7
hi guys,

it looks like my wife might be treating me to an ssd for christmas. woot!! thought it was too much of a not needed gimmick until i just bought my wife a zenbook with a ssd. now i stand corrected and feel the need for the speed.

but i am wondering a few things, as i am still a bit of a noob. i looked on the forums etc but couldnt find what i needed for the sw, just the older jw models. so my questions.

1. whether or not my g73sw is able to run a ssd or does it need a bios update? currently using whatever came with it.
particularly i want a sata 3 6gbs drive. but will the g73 run sata 3 or just 2?

2. this will mean a clean/fresh windows install. but where to get the g73 drivers from? whilst i notice this site has various drivers for the g53 [not the 73] they all appear quite old. do i get those, or do the drivers from the g74 work? or even the g75?

there was a third question, but i cant remember it now.
appreciate the help.

current system. g73sw, i72630qm, 2x 500gb hdds, 16gb ram. gtx460m. 3D panel.
4 REPLIES 4

Pitcher1
Level 9
1. please update BIOS form ASUS support site with 205 version, i think SATA 3 or 2 are able to use.
2. you can press F9 to restort your OS or install your OS image and downliad all driver and utility for Win7 on ASUS support site.

A_Guy
Level 9
You don't have to reinstall Windows. I know that folks say it's best practice, but it's a pain.

Here is how I installed my SSD without reinstalling Windows.

Part 1.
1. Partition the HD. Label the first one OS and the second one DATA
2. Create a new user with admin rights. Logging in with that user MOVE (not COPY) large chunks of the other user IDs data from C:\Users to D:\Users
3. You may have to resize the partitions as the contents of C: decreases and 😧 starts to fill up.
4. Reboot in safe mode. Delete C:\Users and create a junction from C:\Users to D:\Users
5. Reboot as normal. It just works.

I ran like this for several days before I bought my SSD just to make sure that it all worked.

Part 2.
1. Verify that your latest backup is good (you already do regular backups right?)
2. Move the HD to the secondary drive slot
3. Install the SSD
4. Restore from your C:\ backup to the SSD
5. Disable the OS partition of your HD (you can recover from fails simply by removing the SSD and re-enable the OS partition)

I ran like this until I was satisfied that it was stable.

Part 3
1. Verify that your latest backup is good
2. Wipe the HD and recreate it with one single partition
3. Restore your D:\ backup to the HD

Done. No reinstall needed. Your settings are all exactly like they were before.

I've been running on my SSD for months.

One unexpected thing. With a 16GB machine, it now cold boots faster than it wakes from hibernate. My Windows Experience Index was hovering around 5.8 or 5.9 because of the HD. With the SSD I now have an aggregate 7.2 - because the graphics are now the slowest thing in the case. The SSD registers in at 7.8 - in the list, it's the highest rated piece of hardware.

I did poke around reading websites that talked about tweaking this or that in the registry and I did, but later on I found other websites that said exactly the opposite and sounded just as authoritative. I just have to resist the urge to click "Defrag" when I see that my C:\ is 55% fragmented. Because it almost doesn't matter now. It would help a little (very little), but I'm not sure it would actually defrag, and if it did, it would be needless write cycles.

Enjoy your new SSD whether you reinstall or not!

I'm on the G74S, but that ought to be an irrelevant difference for this process.

GA502IV, AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS 2.9GHz with Radeon Graphics
16GB DDR3 RAM
Boot Drive: SSD NVMe PC SN530 (1 TB)
Data Drive: WD BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD (1 TB)
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6.0 GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz (It just won't die!)
12GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
Boot Drive: Samsung 860 EVO (1 TB)
Data Drive: Samsung 850 EVO (500 GB)
GTX560M 3GB DDR5
BIOS 203
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

kaelrysh
Level 7
thanks guys very helpful.

i did remember what that third question was. though not directly related to the other two.

ive got a usb 3.0 dvd burner [for my wifes zenbook], and testing on my g73 it says that, it would work faster if it is plugged into a high speed usb 3 port. and thats the one its plugged into.
searching the web i found a site saying to go into bios and the usb 3.0 section and then enable it at high speed or something. but the g73 bios, and the zenbook bios both have no such option. doesnt help that i am working in japanese windows on them both.
noting that the usb 3.0 external hdd i have works on the g73 at least, i had assumed the usb port was working. but now i am wondering whether it is or not [the speed that i got with hte hdd seemed much faster than usb 2.0]. if i cant work it out soon i will take the burner back to the shop and try a different one i guess. but if it works it would be great.
i wondered whether it means the usb 3 port isnt putting out enough power [it did initially recognise it for long enough to show up in explorer, before making the usb disconnect sound a dozen times and then saying its not installed properly] and or should be installed in a high speed port [and still not showing in explorer].
whilst the dvd drive has an option for a power adaptor [dc5v] it didnt come with one.

any thoughts from those more knowledgeable than i??

kaelrysh
Level 7
@mike_lu tracked down that 205 bios, and noticed theres also a 209. is it still better to get the 205 or is the 209 a better jump? also noticing that the 209 has an upgrade for the usb 3 which may or may not affect the 3rd question [previous post].
and is there a guide on how to update the g73 bios properly/safely? i notice that there seems to be lots of people out there saying dont flash the bios it might brick the machine. and i dont want a brick right now.