cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 - Was it a mistake? (Or why Asus has no idea what they do)

kambanka
Level 7
OK, so, after a lot of surfing, comparing and checking I made the tough decision between G55, Lenovo Y580 and Alienware 14. The Lenovo was off because of potential heating problems, while the Alienware was in the upper region of price and a bit lower specs amongst the three. I got a clean G55, installed Windows 8 Preview on it and then made clean install of Windows 8 Pro. I discovered that obviously Asus makes me stay in forums for problem solving more than playing games or using the laptop.

Before jumping on me, tell me, how many of you - almost all - have some of those problems. I see tons and tons of same posts for all ROG laptops (actually some are ASUS-wide). Please, read the whole story! I love latest drivers and as a result I have the latest NVidia 310, latest VIA Drivers from ROG site (tried VIA Arena, too). And those problems are repeatable on two separate clean installs of Win 8. For each of them I have written to ASUS - though I doubt it will be of any use.

What is wrong? Well:

(Both Preview and Pro installs)
- Squeaking sound from the space bar when typing. WTF?
- Defective VIA drivers that put the subwoofer to whatever they like. I tried the VIA Arena drivers (10050) just to discover that subwoofer volume is kinda tied to the main volume bar - it moves but not always and not in even steps
- "Subwoofer" - on that point alone Asus needs to go to court - what sub is that when it plays everything? Let alone the audible click static noise when the volume is low and the "sub" is trying to play a Windows notification. Some audio engineering student is mocking with us, guys!
- Brightness resets to 100% when starting/stopping games or even when I open ASUS Smart Gesture
- ASUS Smart Gesture - is this a joke? Inertial scrolling is always on - a slight move and my screen jumps. I cannot control the pad borders and as a result I often toggle Win8 gestures when actually trying to move the mouse

A whole story on its own - BIOS totally sucks. I was at 209 when installing the Preview and it hardly booted from the USB - I had to change some settings in the BIOS to tweak legacy USB in order to get it done. In comparison, my wife's Lenovo G580 that I bought, simply asked me in the boot menu whether I want UEFI or normal boot. The G55 did not even bother showing me the USB boot as an option before changing the default BIOS settings.
I later upgraded to BIOS 220 just to discover that Turbo Boost Disable has disappeared (I just wanted to try the heat levels when processor is capped, but obviously a no go). The configuration of north bridge has gone as well. The legacy USB setting is gone too - I installed the Win8Pro from DVD so that I do no bother with BIOS anymore. So I do not know whether it will boot from USB. "Firmware change" is the only explanation from ASUS while crippling the BIOS.

(Windows 8 Pro install)
- Screen brightness shuts down screen when setting to 0%. So, when I try to lower screen brightness, the screen goes off and then I need to turn it one level up. Niiiice, ASUS!

Well, I cannot ignore the 30% CPU usage when playing The Secret World, nor I can ignore the quiet fans at that load. The look is great. I don't care for the battery since I have a 12 inch Elitebook.

But the screen brightness jumping or shutting down the screen and the squeaking space bar are something that I can only describe using symbols like !@#$%...

For comparison, the aforementioned G580 just worked - from the boot from USB to later using drivers (sound, video, whatever). And, boy, have I met laptops? Right now I have the Lenovo and the Asus next to me. There are also a Dell Inspiron and the Elitebook. And on none of these have I had such problems. Except the Elitebook with its one-of-a-kind-build-attempt-in-"quality" (but that's another story).
15 REPLIES 15

WontonNoodle
Level 8
I have all the issues you listed. The brightness issue is a hair puller. Whenever I open a video it goes to full brightness, and after I lower the brightness, whenever I close the video it goes back to full brightness. The same goes for games. Unacceptable.

But I also have the issue of where fans at idle are ALWAYS on and super loud. Like, I'll be in another room at night and I can hear the fan of my laptop. It is making studying impossible for me.

kambanka
Level 7
Guys, a small note - I love the G55 - it's amazing in looks and capabilities. It's just that the devil is in the details like the mentioned. Just finished the FurMark 15 minutes with 70 degrees Celsius and 1099 score 🙂

I do hope that this thread becomes some kind of a note to Asus to get the small fixes done.

rewben
Level 13
yes, my g55 has one thing you described, too: brightness resets to 100% when starting/stopping games or even when I open ASUS Smart Gesture - yes; i just noticed that after reading this post (i always at 100% brightness).

i don't use touchpad so no comment. i'm using via 6.0.10.1200, it looks fine to me.

as for bios; i'm still running 209. my experience with bios is somewhat different from you; it boots nicely for usb (i always do usb fresh installs). i used default settings (just press esc key during post and select from menu). yeah it's somewhat cryptic, but that's fine for me. i don't have the chance to use 214 ad up, yet.they cause frozen power button. but that's fine. my machine running 209 is good enough.

i'm running w8 pro; i installed only a few drivers (intel chipset, rst, via, atk, touchpad, nvidia gfx, atheros lan and wifi; most of them are directly from vendors not ASUS). it's running fine.

maybe i'm relatively more tolerable to things hehe..

kambanka
Level 7
Well, I got a response for the issues that I wrote to Asus. The good thing is that they claim to be working on the VIA drivers. The not so good thing is that they're trying to make my fault the jumping brightness - bad for them it's not me only with the same problem.

Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Service,

I would like to inform you that based on the information you have kindly provided the ASUS Smart Gesture Tray Icon cannot be disabled due to its programming, only through Registry editing, which will eventually lead to software/driver instability.

Making the scroll sections smaller or therefore changing their behavior is not yet supported by the software. At the same time

However, I have forwarded this information to our software/firmware department so as to provide an update which enables the configurability of the ASUS Smart Gesture Touchpad.

As an alternative I would kindly like to ask you to download and install the older Elantech driver which supports some of the settings that you have just mentioned:

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=397&m=G55VW&os=36&ft=10&f_name=Touchpad_Ela...

The Audio Control has been limited to the VIA AUDIO Control Deck due to security issue, but will be reconfigured in the near future to provide further compatibility.

The possibility to disable the Intel Turbo Boost has been has been deactivated so as to be more energy efficient. However, I would like to inform you that I will forward your feedback regarding the BIOS, AUDIO and Smart Gesture so as to improve the configurability of these Modules in the future.

If the Display Backlight settings have functioned flawlessly till now, and after the BIOS Update and Nvidia Software Update to version 310.XX, the Display shuts down completely when set to 0% than I would kindly like to ask you to update the following drivers from our website:

1. Chipset: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=397&m=G55VW&os=36&ft=23&f_name=Chipset_Inte...

2. Nvidia: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=397&m=G55VW&os=36&ft=1&f_name=VGA_nVidia_Wi...

Afterwhich I would kindly like o ask you to access the Power Options Menu and by Turn off the Display, please set the interval to a minimum of 5 Minutes.

WontonNoodle
Level 8
Yes the brightness issue is huge and Asus is ignoring it! I should have known that the G55/75 were directed toward 'casual' gamers, not experience and knowledged individuals. Will never buy a ROG product again!

rewben
Level 13
yeah, it sounded like that to me, too: for casual gamers; not even for light modding 😕

there is one thing i feel sad about my g55: the inaccessible msata port.

i have to admit that in my country, the work quality of most ASUS service centers suck. big time. there were too many cases (with images as proofs) where the users sent their defective units in, and after a few months later got returned, with old problems not fixed, and some new problems as bonus 😕 it's really no fun at all.

yes, relatively ASUS produces better builds compared to other brands. however, what is equally important are still good after-sales/technical supports that make the customers feel confident and stay. where i come from other brands have not-so-good products, they have better supports.

c_man
Level 11
Well, Asus made the G55 and even G75 not friendly at all. I like them as they as very cool, keep up performance very good and that is about it. Might not look like much, but when you get a laptop with some firepower and notice that after a few minutes it will only do base clocks for CPU, you will hammer it even if brightness works well.

Asus has some BIOS problems. Well, even the BIOS itself is not exactly the same on all G55. And the way it was made (some just bricked their laptops doing safe in BIOS updates) is beyond me. Why not use a decent set-up.

USB boot is a pain. So much sometimes I want to smash mine into pieces. After some time I've stopped using it.

On G55 the keyboard sounds are strange since it looks about the some with the G75 (and that one is OK for me). What's different?

The brightness is old news and I think it's more of a system problem.

The screen turning off is from a beta BIOS I've tested some time ago, I wonder how it got to the final version on a user unit.

The speaker system is just a bad hardware design and it will never work. They do try to keep it under control as much as possible.

Asus Smart anything does not work.

c_man wrote:
Well, Asus made the G55 and even G75 not friendly at all. I like them as they as very cool, keep up performance very good and that is about it. Might not look like much, but when you get a laptop with some firepower and notice that after a few minutes it will only do base clocks for CPU, you will hammer it even if brightness works well.

Asus has some BIOS problems. Well, even the BIOS itself is not exactly the same on all G55. And the way it was made (some just bricked their laptops doing safe in BIOS updates) is beyond me. Why not use a decent set-up.

USB boot is a pain. So much sometimes I want to smash mine into pieces. After some time I've stopped using it.

On G55 the keyboard sounds are strange since it looks about the some with the G75 (and that one is OK for me). What's different?

The brightness is old news and I think it's more of a system problem.

The screen turning off is from a beta BIOS I've tested some time ago, I wonder how it got to the final version on a user unit.

The speaker system is just a bad hardware design and it will never work. They do try to keep it under control as much as possible.

Asus Smart anything does not work.

ah.. the usb problem; i forgot about it because i have developed a habit to plug only thumb drives to the port that windows has never shown safe removal icon. i use windows explorer to eject them.

c_man
Level 11