cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone get this with the Asus Rog Xonar phoebus ?

Help05
Level 7
First one is when you first start your computer windows 7 says no sound device detected and the only way to get the sound working is to restart the computer then its works fine.

The other one is people tell me that I sound really bad on Teamspeak like I'm talking from a tin can I have had 4 mics that I tested it with and all of them sound bad I also used the mic you get with the card by its self with nothing plugged in to it and it sounds bad as well.

also I have re-installed the driver many times and that does not seem to make any difference.
I know this will probably be just a driver issue and just have to wait for a new driver.

Audio Driver is 7.0.1.20
OS as mentioned above Windows 7 64bit
13 REPLIES 13

KILLER_K
Level 10
Have you tried another pci-express slot? Make sure you uninstall the drivers before moving it. Also remove the built in sound card drivers for the board as well as disabling it in the bios.

Most games have a mic feedback command. When you talk you will be able to hear yourself. Other then that perhaps a sound setting in the control panel maybe. As that many mics and still having a issue, sounds like a setting in the asus control panel or the windows sound settings.

Thanks mate. ..... Yeah I have changed PCIE slots and the problem is still there. I have also done a full uninstall and the bios has on-board sound disabled I have also tried everything in the phoebus console and nothing seems to work. Also Teamspeak seems to be crashing a lot now to. I just hope it is the driver and not a faulty sound card and can get this fixed so I can talk to my mates with out them saying dude your mic is broken. I was using a creative titanium before this and people never told me my mic was broken. With the mic I also tried to set it to the most basic settings to see if that fixed the problem and all my mates say its still very bad. Some mates on Teamspeak say its like I'm very far away and then I slowly get louder and distorted others says its like I'm talking in to a tin can or I have mic effects turned on or I'm talking on the toilet. As for the no sound device detected that still happens on any PCIE slot but does seem to fix after restarting the computer. I don't know might be teamspeak as well that is the problem.

Also when you have Battlefield 3 and TeamSpeak 3 opened with dolby home theater V4 enabled it stops battlefield 3 sounds so the only sound is coming from teamspeak

KILLER_K
Level 10
Just for kicks and giggles have you tried the windows 8 Version 8.0.1.22 driver?
http://www.asus.com/ROG/ROG_Xonar_Phoebus/#support_Download_36

KILLER_K : Just for kicks and giggles have you tried the windows 8 Version 8.0.1.22 driver?
http://www.asus.com/ROG/ROG_Xonar_Ph...rt_Download_36

Thanks mate I will try it.

AVtemp
Level 10
1. Can you test sound in Skype?
Just make call to "Echo/Sound test service".
You`ll have a chance to hear your mic.
2. Is there enough space between your speakers and mic?
Mic can record sound from speakers and it affect the quality via feedback.
3. There is a "Sample rate" in "Mic" section of Phoebus driver.Try to change it.
Some programs works with 44.1KHz only.
4. Set Microphone boost to minimum,it will pickup less noise.
5. Disable ROG Command and Xear.
6. Make sure additional power cable is plugged to soundcard.
7. The problem also can be in internet connection itself,unstable speed can cause sound artifacts.
Test your system with another internet provider,you may take it to your friends if you can.
8. If you have to reboot OS to make sound work,there can be a problem with OS.
Make sure to install all updates.
If you can reinstall Windows,do it as last resort.

Driver still has bugs 😞

@cx-ray : play BF3 and use Teamspeak 3 regularly. I don't experience any mic or sound problems. The noise cancellation works really well in combination with a headset boom mic...not so well with a clip-on though. In the latter case better disable that functionality and rely on TS for noise cancellation. Record yourself on TS for testing.

If you're unable to find a software install issue, I'm afraid your card might be defective or there's some sort of incompatibility issue between it and your other components. Sorry for not being able to offer more help. At least you know now for sure it's not the norm.

I play BF3 and use Teamspeak 3 regularly. I don't experience any mic or sound problems. The noise cancellation works really well in combination with a headset boom mic...not so well with a clip-on though.

Not looking good for me.

disable that functionality and rely on TS for noise cancellation. Record yourself on TS for testing.

Done this and it's still broken.

If you're unable to find a software install issue, I'm afraid your card might be defective or there's some sort of incompatibility issue between it and your other components. Sorry for not being able to offer more help. At least you know now for sure it's not the norm.

I hope it's not defective but it is working for you with teamspeak and battlefield 3 so it seems it's not a driver problem
thanks for your help.

cx-ray
Level 12
I play BF3 and use Teamspeak 3 regularly. I don't experience any mic or sound problems. The noise cancellation works really well in combination with a headset boom mic...not so well with a clip-on though. In the latter case better disable that functionality and rely on TS for noise cancellation. Record yourself on TS for testing.

@AVtemp: 1. Can you test sound in Skype?
3. There is a "Sample rate" in "Mic" section of Phoebus driver.Try to change it.
7. The problem also can be in internet connection itself,unstable speed can cause sound artifacts.
Test your system with another internet provider,you may take it to your friends if you can.

Driver still has bugs :-(1. Can you test sound in Skype?

Driver still has bugs 😞

1. Can you test sound in Skype?

I downloaded skype and used the Echo/Sound test service and yes I do sound bad on it.

Yes

I have used all sample rates and it goes from bad to worst but never better.

4. Set Microphone boost to minimum,it will pickup less noise

Yes I have done this as well but setting it to minimum people say they can not hear me. Setting the boost just a bit higher they say I'm louder but muffled and distorted with some kind of echo effect on even though its disabled.

Tested on and off people on teamspeak say it's a bit better with ROG Command on Xear is disabled.

Checked this mate all is good.

Ill keep this in mind.

When I got the sound card the first thing I did was install it to a new clean os

Thanks for your help

AVtemp
Level 10
1.Disconnect Remote control box and try to connect your mic and speakers directly to Phoebus.

2.Try another driver: Beta version 3.08 (v7.0.1.25)
http://www.mediafire.com/?7q0f7j7rv96f557

3.Also you may try to use your motherboards soundcard for mic connection.
But in this case you have to enable it in BIOS, install motherboards sound driver and connect mic to motherboard.
Also choose appropriate settings in programms.
It`s OK to use both of soundcards in the same time.
Phoebus-to play,motherboard sound-to record mic.
If this will resolve your mic problem,then your internet is fine.
Also it will indicate that Phoebus may be broken.

4.If there is a chance to test Phoebus in another PC,do that,to be sure the card is not broken.

I use Windows 7 x64,and never experienced any problems with Skype.
I tried "Team speak 3" yesterday and sound quality was not very good,voice was digitalized.
But i guess its because of "Team Speak" settings (Speex Ultra-Wideband 32KHz,codec quality 7).