cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSI 9265 raid controller not compatible with Rampage 3 BE?

Retired
Not applicable
Can't get the raid controller up and running. It post in Bios but won't show up in boot priority list. It did maybe 3 times out of countless attempts but bios would drop it after reboot. I can get into Webbios but the raid card won't recognize any hard drives of any type spinner, ssd, windows boot drives, etc. Also MSM in windows 7 doesn't see any hard drives either. I've used all drivers and firmware for the card with no success. Even clearing cmos and disabling devices in bios didn't help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

RagingCain
Level 7
Hey Brandon,

Do you have any onboard RAID active in addition to the addon card? If you have the Intel RAID ROM active, it won't let you boot from a 3rd Party RAID Device, I had a similar issue with an OCZ RevoDrive X2. Also occurs even when using RAID on the SATA6GB/s, it also prevents a 3rd party device.

Raja mentioned there is simply not enough memory to have multiple controllers to use.

Retired
Not applicable
I don't have onboard raid going. I see that your on xtremesystems also. I thought about posting this there but decided to check with this forum first. It may take a bios update or firmware update from LSI to get it running. Until then I'll have this nice paper weight. Also does anyone have a sata 3 raid controller running on their Black Edition board?

Sorry to hear about the LSI.

Yes we do have the SATA3 (6Gbs) working utilizing the beta BIOS and the edited beta BIOS (the one I use.)

RAJA provided a link for it here:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/rampageiii-black-edition-asus-0001

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks, I'm running the beta 0001 bios as well with no improvement. I'm sorry if my meaning was mistaken about sata3 controllers I was trying to ask if anyone has a Internal raid controller card other than LSI like an Areca 1880 or Adaptec 6805 working on this board.

Retired
Not applicable
Hey guys,

Just want to chime in regarding the compatibility of the LSI 9265 and the Asus Rampage 3 Black Edition board running the shipped bios version 0404 (release bios.)

I, too, read the reviews from folks who were having a hard time getting the R3BE to work with this board - however I was in disbelief, so I bought one. (:

The trick is to disable the SATA3 ports on the board. Once you do this, the RAID controller will pop up in the boot options and you can boot without any trouble at all. Make sure to download the drivers from LSI's website, and make sure to remove your removable media before formatting a boot drive (the flash drive you will likely use will mount as c:\ in almost all configurations.)

JIC I save someone some panic, make sure to keep the installation media for windows in your drive I gave myself a panic attack when I received error 0x80300001 thinking I couldn't install to the RAID I had configured... then realized I had pulled the windows media. LOL - you'd think Microsoft would kindly say "Please insert your media...."

I hope this helps! If you see this post in more than one place, it's because I'm hopping around to the different forums correcting this misconception after successfully getting this to work.

Enjoy!

Retired
Not applicable
Hey guys,

Just want to chime in regarding the compatibility of the LSI 9265 and the Asus Rampage 3 Black Edition board running the shipped bios version 0404 (release bios.)

I, too, read the reviews from folks who were having a hard time getting the R3BE to work with this board - however I was in disbelief, so I bought one. (:

The trick is to disable the SATA3 ports on the board. Once you do this, the RAID controller will pop up in the boot options and you can boot without any trouble at all. Make sure to download the drivers from LSI's website, and make sure to remove your removable media before formatting a boot drive (the flash drive you will likely use will mount as c:\ in almost all configurations.)

JIC I save someone some panic, make sure to keep the installation media for windows in your drive I gave myself a panic attack when I received error 0x80300001 thinking I couldn't install to the RAID I had configured... then realized I had pulled the windows media. LOL - you'd think Microsoft would kindly say "Please insert your media...."

I hope this helps! If you see this post in more than one place, it's because I'm hopping around to the different forums correcting this misconception after successfully getting this to work.

Enjoy!

Retired
Not applicable
Yes! Its working now. The SAS cable was bad. Tried the other one and rebooted and the drives appeared. Initialized through webbios and running my boot drive without a problem. Testing my single ssd has proven that the card delivers faster performance than the onboard controller. Now I've got to buy more ssd's