cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hdds not being recognized in bios

Kraivenous
Level 7
I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find an answer to this problem, or thread less than 3 years old for that matter...

I bought a refurbished G73SW from newegg about 2 years ago and have had no prblems whatsoever until a week ago.
I put the laptop in sleep mode per the usual and went to bed, 15 hours later I find it hard frozen and have to hold the power button to reboot.
When I try to boot it up, it gives me the pxe code for the network boot not working and after a while I get in the bios and find my hard drive isn't listed as a boot option.
Obviously my first thought is the hard drive, so I ordered a new one and bought a sata/USB enclosure to try and restore whatever I can.
The enclosure came first and my roommate let me see what was on it. EVERYTHING was there. She has the same laptop as mine so I swapped her hd with mine. Her laptop picked up my hd in bios and booted but mine didn't pick up hers.
Since I'm able to get in the bios my motherboard must not be fried, so could my sata connectors be failing or have a loose wire?

My stats
G73SW-BST6
Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz
8GB DDR3
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
8 REPLIES 8

dstrakele
Level 14
1) What happens if you enter the BIOS and restore the default settings? Has the SATA Configuration changed in your BIOS as compared to your roommate's?

2) Does reinstalling or updating the Intel Chipset driver with the -overall switch to ensure that all Chipset devices are updated resolve the issue? Since the HDD is not recognized in the BIOS, I believe this attempt at a Windows software fix has little chance of success.

3) Booting into a Linux "LiveCD" distribution would be another way to help confirm if the issue is BIOS-related or hardware related, as opposed to Windows software related.

4) How did you end up with a roommate that had had the exact same laptop as you? That was extremely fortunate for troubleshooting...

If the above fails to change behavior, I'd be inclined to accept your diagnosis of a failed SATA Controller or SATA connector.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
dstrakele has covered about everything and I would be sure to try to reload and save the default bios settings if you haven't already because it's so easy to try and might help if you updated your bios at the same time (?).
I wanted to mention a few more things below too ('tag team' with dstrakely and I).

1) Your DVD-ROM should appear in the bios too, so wanted to make sure it's listed. It may not be very likely, but if your DVD drive has gone bad and is causing this problem (not a common problem I'm aware of, but possible in theory? Actually, if both the DVD-ROM or hard drives don't appear in the bios anymore, it may be more likely a problem with the SATA controller/connector.), there is a relatively easy way to unplug the DVD-ROM to see if this helps the hard drives to be detected.

2) Not sure if your notebook has 2 hard drive bays as in the screenshot below (some if not all G73SW notebooks will), but if you haven't already tried it, connect your hard drive to the other hard drive connector if available to see if it works).

3) Although I wouldn't want to spend too much money on an older out-of-warranty notebook if possible (I would rather save the money for a newer notebook with warranty if you can afford it), check this link for contact information if you would like to send in the notebook to ASUS USA for out-of-warranty service.

dstrakele wrote:
1) What happens if you enter the BIOS and restore the default settings? Has the SATA Configuration changed in your BIOS as compared to your roommate's?

2) Does reinstalling or updating the Intel Chipset driver with the -overall switch to ensure that all Chipset devices are updated resolve the issue? Since the HDD is not recognized in the BIOS, I believe this attempt at a Windows software fix has little chance of success.

3) Booting into a Linux "LiveCD" distribution would be another way to help confirm if the issue is BIOS-related or hardware related, as opposed to Windows software related.

4) How did you end up with a roommate that had had the exact same laptop as you? That was extremely fortunate for troubleshooting...

If the above fails to change behavior, I'd be inclined to accept your diagnosis of a failed SATA Controller or SATA connector.

dstrakele wrote:

1) When I restore to default settings, it doesn't do anything different. and our BIOS are identical, sans the hardrive option missing.
2) I'm not sure how to do that, but would it work if it's not picking up the HDD?
3) How would I go about doing that?
4) we got them at the same time lol

cl-Albert wrote:
dstrakele has covered about everything and I would be sure to try to reload and save the default bios settings if you haven't already because it's so easy to try and might help if you updated your bios at the same time (?).
I wanted to mention a few more things below too ('tag team' with dstrakely and I).

1) Your DVD-ROM should appear in the bios too, so wanted to make sure it's listed. It may not be very likely, but if your DVD drive has gone bad and is causing this problem (not a common problem I'm aware of, but possible in theory? Actually, if both the DVD-ROM or hard drives don't appear in the bios anymore, it may be more likely a problem with the SATA controller/connector.), there is a relatively easy way to unplug the DVD-ROM to see if this helps the hard drives to be detected.

2) Not sure if your notebook has 2 hard drive bays as in the screenshot below (some if not all G73SW notebooks will), but if you haven't already tried it, connect your hard drive to the other hard drive connector if available to see if it works).

3) Although I wouldn't want to spend too much money on an older out-of-warranty notebook if possible (I would rather save the money for a newer notebook with warranty if you can afford it), check this link for contact information if you would like to send in the notebook to ASUS USA for out-of-warranty service.

1) Both my DVD-ROM and Network options appear in the BIOS.
2) Mine does have to hard drive bays and I tried that first lol.
3) I guess I'll have to look into that and see if it's worth it

Pitcher1
Level 9
is your roommat HDD able to detect on your laptop? if also can not, i think it is hdd bay damage, you will send back to RMA to check it.

billyray520
Level 10
Do you have BIOS 205?
What does it say in Bios/advanced/PCI/Sata ports? Port 0=? Port 1=? Port 2 should be your DVD
Under Boot options, do you have IDE or ACHI?
Do you have UEFI disabled?
Have any of the boot options been Deleted (last choice) by accident?
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

grungeboy2
Level 10
i'll tell you a tip i picked up, somewhere along the way. i installed a secondary hard drive into my G51vx. long story short, i had some issues getting it to recognize in the bios.

the solution was this:
go into bios
select restore factory default settings
save changes and exit bios
when the computer reboots, immediately go into bios
select restore factory default settings, again
save changes and exit bios

try this and see if it helps.

So, I read something when my problem first started and someone said they pulled their first RAM stick out and it fixed their problem.

I just did it and it's working now...

Wut...?

grungeboy2
Level 10
might have reset the bios by doing that.

there's some kind of bug in it that sometimes gets tripped. for some reason setting it to default, twice, seemed to clear the bug for me.