cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW Nvidia Driver Upgrade Bricks Laptop

Dane_Henson
Level 7
So In Januaury got an Asus g46 from my local Best Buy. I noticed that the Nvidia driver was still at 306 which would seriously need an upgrade since im playing a lot of new games that needed the optimization. MY first instinct was to install the newest
WHQL driver and install it, so I did. After install itemmediatly bricked my system and would not let me do anything on my laptop,luckily, I was able to use the Windows 8 reset feature and return my laptop to factory settings. So I have been waiting now for myNvidia control panel to give me the clear to install new drivers, and sure enough, the other day the notification popped up and
prompted me to upgrade to 314 Beta drivers. I did it and once again it bricked my system, forcing me to do another system
restore. So are there no working driver upgrades for this laptop? Should I install the 314 WHQL? Im I doing something terribly
wrong? Help me out my fellow gamers!
15 REPLIES 15

JwPwns
Level 10
Well, mine's working fine and i installed the update the day they released it.. but then i'm using window 7 and bio 209 did you up your bios?

here's a screenshot, I honestly can't help you much other than saying it works on mine lol

Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

Shawnnepc
Level 13
Dane Henson wrote:
So In Januaury got an Asus g46 from my local Best Buy. I noticed that the Nvidia driver was still at 306 which would seriously need an upgrade since im playing a lot of new games that needed the optimization. MY first instinct was to install the newest
WHQL driver and install it, so I did. After install itemmediatly bricked my system and would not let me do anything on my laptop,luckily, I was able to use the Windows 8 reset feature and return my laptop to factory settings. So I have been waiting now for myNvidia control panel to give me the clear to install new drivers, and sure enough, the other day the notification popped up and
prompted me to upgrade to 314 Beta drivers. I did it and once again it bricked my system, forcing me to do another system
restore. So are there no working driver upgrades for this laptop? Should I install the 314 WHQL? Im I doing something terribly

What do you mean by 'Bricked' ?
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Dane Henson wrote:

I think you're using the wrong word there. Perhaps you don't know what bricked means.

Shawnnepc wrote:
What do you mean by 'Bricked' ?

Yeah...

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hopefully someone can help you get the drivers from the nVidia downloads working, but just wanted to mention there are unapproved vga drivers from ASUS as well that you may want to consider trying later from this link.

You need to filter out the nVIdia drivers from the others, but for Win8 64-bit V9.18.13.1127 (311.27?) was posted on 3/25/13 and V9.18.13.1100.02 was posted 2/20/13.

KiwiG75
Level 7
Bricking is when your laptop turns into a brick. You cannot turn it on. No keys work. It just sits there and you have no use for it.

Apexing
Level 9
Like the others have said, your laptop is not bricked.
And as one has show he runs a newer version and it works.

So if I were you, I would uninstall the gpu driver, then use driversweep and remove other left over gpu drivers. then reboot. then go to nvidia page and do the driver scan thing and get the one it suggests. this should in no way brick your laptop, neither should you have a reason to upgrade bios for these drivers to work.

Clintlgm
Level 14
Also you might try with any version of Nvidia drives to use the custom install and then clean install, this will uninstall the version you have then install the next version. From what your posting is sounds like your having a serious driver conflict. And it might take uninstalling the original drivers, installing the windows VGA Driver. And rebooting a couple of times to make sure you don't have any video drivers running then install the latest Nvidia drivers.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Ah someone with the same issue as me. I have bought multiple G46's and have gotten the same problem. I'm going to start a clean install next, but I certainly hope that works because i'm quite tired of resetting using the windows 8 feature. Takes a long time to redownload everything.

I'm surprised Nvidia hasn't said anything about this?

I don't think this is a big NVidia problem, we haven't seen many complaints here. You could save yourself some aggravation if you make a few Images of your drives and partitions. You would only loose data added after the images are made, which you would restore from the back ups you are making. and restoring an image only takes a few minutes. I thinks Win 8 comes with a Windows native driver, you would do good to uninstall that driver, and setting back to the standard VGA driver before trying to install a straight up NVidia driver set.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro