cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the hard drive on my new G55?

orlandotommy
Level 7
Before i bought my laptop I read all these threads about the hard drive being difficult to get to, having to remove the keyboard etc... well i got my new laptop yesterday and popped the back cover off to upgrade the RAM and it looks to me that the hard drive is very easily accessible right where the RAM goes? Am i correct here or am i missing something?

Thanks.

:confused:
5 REPLIES 5

Arvinaaaaa
Level 7
you are correct..the hard drive is just two screws away together with the 2 ram slots....
that hard part is trying to access the OTHER TWO NON ACCESSIBLE RAM SLOTS and the MSATA port(buried deep inside the g55) 🙂

rewben
Level 13
a g55 has 2 sata3 ports (one sata port, another is a msata port). the sata port (i.e. your hdd) is user accessible. another one needs to tear the whole laptop down, flip the mobo for installation.

orlandotommy
Level 7
What is the mSATA port for? Why so difficult to access, whats the point of it?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
I'm not the best person to ask about this, but thought I would give it a try since nobody else has replied yet.
If you search the internet, you will find there are such things as mSATA SSD drives (different from your 'normal' 2.5 inch notebook SSD drives), so I'm guessing you could try to plug in that kind of hard drive to your mSATA port if you wanted to although I haven't heard if or how well it works.

orlandotommy wrote:
What is the mSATA port for? Why so difficult to access, whats the point of it?

cl-Albert wrote:
I'm not the best person to ask about this, but thought I would give it a try since nobody else has replied yet.
If you search the internet, you will find there are such things as mSATA SSD drives (different from your 'normal' 2.5 inch notebook SSD drives), so I'm guessing you could try to plug in that kind of hard drive to your mSATA port if you wanted to although I haven't heard if or how well it works.

hi @orlandotommy,

like @cl-Albert stated, in the case of g55, it's another smaller form factor of ssd's (for the purposes of caching, storage). as long as the form factor is right, the msata ssd can be installed and secured nicely with a small screw in a g55.