cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q code 55 when any memory is install in Slot A1 or B1

Chef_Magnus
Level 7
Hi there

We got the replacement MoBo today and when we install memory into Slot A1 or B1 we get a system halt and Q code 55. If memory is install in slot A2 and/0r B2 it will boot. I have tried moving the sticks of memory around and have tried Corsair Dominator Platinum, Corsair Vengence, and Patriot memory modules.

Any help would be great. I also have tried clearing the CMOS and MEM/OK
Sys 1:
RIVE \ Intel Core i7-3970X \ Corsair H100i \ GTXTitan 6BG 2xSLI \ 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum \ Samdung 840 Pro 512GBSSDs R0 2x \ WD Black 2TBHDD R5 4x \ Corsair AX1200i \ Corsair 900D

Sys 2:
MVF*(UPGRD to MVE in May) \ Intel i7 3770K \ Corsair H100i \ Asus GTX670 2xSLI \ 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum\ Samsung 840 Pro 256GBSSD R0 2x \ Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GBSSD \ WD Blk 2TB R1 HDD 2x \ Corsair AX1200i PSU \ Corsair 650D
13 REPLIES 13

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey Chef if people haven't read your other thread they wont know what mother board 😛 MVF right?

Also if you read the manual it says that the slots to populate first are A2 1 stick A2+B2 two sticks.....

Or do you mean that when you have four sticks in, it wont boot?

Chef_Magnus
Level 7
If I put sticks in the two slots nearest the CPU it will not boot. I have tried swapping the ram with different types, exchanging the cpu, swapping the cooler. This is the same error that the board that I RMA'ed on Wednesday had. I can't believe that two boards have the exact sam problem. This one is brand new sealed from ASUS in Indiana. I hope that they have answers on Monday. I was wanting to get the Formula for the on board sound but may have to go to the Extreme if I can not get the problem figured out. Today we just did bench builds and got a lot of work done.

Corsair H100i is a beast of a cooler for CPUs. I have it on my Rampage IV Extreme as well as the MVF system. My home theater PC has a P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt with i7 2700 and H80i with quiet fans. It is in a Sonata IV. So wish me luck come Monday when I talk to the techs at ASUS.

Chef
Sys 1:
RIVE \ Intel Core i7-3970X \ Corsair H100i \ GTXTitan 6BG 2xSLI \ 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum \ Samdung 840 Pro 512GBSSDs R0 2x \ WD Black 2TBHDD R5 4x \ Corsair AX1200i \ Corsair 900D

Sys 2:
MVF*(UPGRD to MVE in May) \ Intel i7 3770K \ Corsair H100i \ Asus GTX670 2xSLI \ 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum\ Samsung 840 Pro 256GBSSD R0 2x \ Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GBSSD \ WD Blk 2TB R1 HDD 2x \ Corsair AX1200i PSU \ Corsair 650D

Chef Magnus wrote:
If I put sticks in the two slots nearest the CPU it will not boot.

Chef Magnus wrote:
If memory is install in slot A2 and/0r B2 it will boot

Hey Chef....something is not adding up for me here. the slots closest to the CPU are A2 and B1 and you said A2 boots with B2 (which is how it should be for two sticks) A2 B1 is not a good combo for two sticks. Just to check....

Or do you mean black slots are not working? .... in which case I would check the contacts in the CPU socket (look closely for bent pins) and on the CPU...

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is all about how you tightened the cooler up. You might find you are going to have to remove the CPU to get those two slots to come back thought. Pain in the behind. If you do not get any joy then RMA the board.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Chef_Magnus
Level 7
I miss named the Slots that are not working. They are the A1 and A2. The B1 and B2 slots are working...I have tested the memory in my P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt board and my RIVE board. It works faultless in the other boards.

Chef
Sys 1:

Sys 2:

HiVizMan
Level 40
RMA your motherboard in that case
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Crumbs that's two lemons on the trot! wish you much better luck with the next one...

I've been running into the same issue, I had a Cooler Master V8 and all 4 slots worked but now with a CM Seidon 240M it wont but with the block attached to the CPU when memory is in the two slots nearest the CPU. Trying to figure out what is going on with that as well. You might check and see maybe something is causing a short? That's my only guess and what I'm going to start looking for.
GF's PC: Sunmilo ITX / ST45SF-G / Gigabyte A88XN / AMD A8 7600 / Silverstone AR06w/Noctua 92x14mm / ADATA 2x4g XPG / Sappire R7 370 2GB Compact / Crucial BX100 250g / WD 2.5 1TB HDD
My PC: FT03-T / ST60F-PS / Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus / Intel Q9550 / Intel Liquid Cooling Solution / 2x4g Crucial Tractical Tracer / PNY GTX 550 ti 1GB / Crucial M4 64gb SSD / 2x WD 3.5 1TB HDD / Samsung T260 Display

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Actually I would do a test, both of you, to see if it's cooler pressure like HIVizMan said....maybe get the board out flat on it's box and undo the cooler so it's just sitting on the CPU not tightened down and see if the ghost slots come back....especially if they were working before hand for you IntoxicatedPuma.