cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74Sx hardware/software issues?

Kyalaen
Level 7
Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum.

I have a G74Sx which used to perform flawlessly. As of late though, it's been starting to act up.

When I use software like Adobe Soundbooth, Unreal Development Kit, Visual Studio and games like Dota 2, Call of Juarez the laptop stutters. It has become a real nusiance, and I'm starting to get frustrated. I've even formatted the laptop. The game/software freezes for about 1-3 econds and then jumps ahead. I got the newest nvidia drivers as well. I don't know what more I can do. I've checked the temps, GPU never exceeded 75 degrees.

If anyone here has had a similar problem, or know what could be the problem, please reply.
8 REPLIES 8

Muratus
Level 10
Have you checked your temperatures? Download speedfan and make sure your not running hot, which it kinda sounds like.
Asus G73M (Used to be G73SW-BST6 now renamed to M for the Muratus edition)

• Intel Core i7-2630QM
  • 1080p (1920x1080) LCD (upgraded)
  • Samsung pm830 256GB SSD
  • Sansung 750GB 7200rmp 2nd HD
  • Bluetooth ( added )
  • Blu-ray/DVD ( upgraded )
  • Windows 8 Pro 64bit

Mods:

dstrakele
Level 14
1) Does your laptop have a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid HDD? If so, check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?31091-Asus-G73jw-random-freezes. When the SSD caching on this hybrid drive fails, the mini-freezes or video stuttering you report will occur.

2) If not, use DPC Latency Checker to troubleshoot for drivers causing latency in your system.

3) Antivirus or AntiMalware software are common suspects in performance issues. Selectively uninstall them and reboot to unload their drivers to confirm they are not contributing to the problem.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
1) Does your laptop have a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid HDD? If so, check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?31091-Asus-G73jw-random-freezes. When the SSD caching on this hybrid drive fails, the mini-freezes or video stuttering you report will occur.

2) If not, use DPC Latency Checker to troubleshoot for drivers causing latency in your system.

3) Antivirus or AntiMalware software are common suspects in performance issues. Selectively uninstall them and reboot to unload their drivers to confirm they are not contributing to the problem.

I see a lot of people having problems with this harddrive. I'm guessing the firmware might be the issue. Do you recommend installing the SD28 or SD26?

dstrakele
Level 14
I'm assuming you've confirmed you actually have Windows installed on a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid HDD in your G74SX.

From my understanding, the SD26 firmware disables the SSD caching. While this would eliminate your video stuttering, it does so by reducing the hybrid drive performance to that of a standard HDD.

If I were in your situation, I would upgrade the firmware to SD28. If that failed to resolve your video stuttering, and troubleshooting with DPC Latency Checker as well as selectively uninstalling Antivirus)/AntiMalware failed to resolve the problem, I'd see if Seagate would replace the drive. If not, I'd backrev the firmware to SD26 and use it as a standard HDD, perhaps using the Fancy Cache utility to boost HDD performance.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Muratus
Level 10
All great advice, but a bit advance at this point. I still say install speedfan, check your temps and S.M.A.R.T data. Lets rule out the basics first. You be surprised how many times it's just the basics that are causing the troubles. The G74's are getting a bit of age under their belts now, very well possible the fans/heatsinks are clogged and not cooling proplerly, which would cause shuttering.
Asus G73M (Used to be G73SW-BST6 now renamed to M for the Muratus edition)

• Intel Core i7-2630QM
  • 1080p (1920x1080) LCD (upgraded)
  • Samsung pm830 256GB SSD
  • Sansung 750GB 7200rmp 2nd HD
  • Bluetooth ( added )
  • Blu-ray/DVD ( upgraded )
  • Windows 8 Pro 64bit

Mods:

Kyalaen
Level 7
Updating the firmware for the harddrive to SD28 seems to have done the trick! Thanks to dstrakele leading me in the right direction. Really appreciate it. It's been a thorn in my side for quite some time!

Symho
Level 7
I'm at my 4th RMA, ASUS has sent to me a Buy Back modules to return 60% of price. So my ROG experiance is over... Do you recommend buying a new Shortcut or better abandon ASUS? Thx!
P.s. My g74sx I will be returned anyway?
ASUS G750JZ - T4044H with GX1000 black

Symho wrote:
I'm at my 4th RMA, ASUS has sent to me a Buy Back modules to return 60% of price. So my ROG experiance is over... Do you recommend buying a new Shortcut or better abandon ASUS? Thx!
P.s. My g74sx I will be returned anyway?

I've not accepted the offer of ASUS. I'm waiting for a new offer these days! Seriousness equal to 0.
ASUS G750JZ - T4044H with GX1000 black