cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus V Extreme + 3 Video cards

daehkcarc
Level 7
I'm having a wee problem I am hoping someone can help me with. I currently have the above mentioned motherboard. I also have 3 video cards, 1 nvidia and 2 radeons. I am trying to get the two radeons installed for bitcoin mining. If I install the two radeons side by side in the box 1 of them tends to overheat causing my computer to crash. I had removed the second radeon for a while and then noticed that the MOBO has a pcie slot such that it would leave space between the cards if I installed it there. That is the black pcie slot (aka PCI_X8_2B). If I have my nvidia (which is the one I actually use for video) installed (in the top slot) along with one radeon in the black slot both are recognized. As soon as I install the second radeon in the bottom slot the card in the black slot no longer works.

Is there a setting somewhere to allow all these slots to work at the same time or is the setup I am attempting impossible?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey daehkcarc! 🙂 Unfortunately, from the manual 😉 it looks like that will not be possible...

Maybe the incentive to watercool the cards! extended work like that would probably benefit ....

Thanks for the information Arne! I think I actually looked at that in the manual at one point but maybe it didn't completely sink in. Unfortunately I think the price to watercool a mining video card would be a bit too much for the profit potential. In fact, if I went with water cooling video cards I think it would be about the same price as buying a new setup for a dedicated mining computer... which I may do at some point.

Again, thanks for the help!