cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1984 or 2013?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Am I seeing a very worrying trend in gaming? Things like this.... http://www.techspot.com/review/682-gunpoint/ being eulogized and pushed pretty hard...

I have been seeing a whole load of these dreadful games that look straight from the Spectrum plus, being pushed as the next best thing since sliced bread. Is this the future of gaming....we're to be sold touchscreen pads only..... with windows 8 or android and since they have all the processing power of a banana milk shake the games I'm to be sold with them are 1984 platform copies?

Am I now supposed to think Angry birds is the pinnacle of gaming instead of a wear-off novelty for smartphones?

Seems like the gaming world has gone mad....either no story whatsoever and play time of a few hours but with, apparently, whiz bang graphics for pixel peepers....or no story and no graphics Donkey Kong remakes that need no thought process, simply the will to let yourself be trained like a chimpanzee into pushing buttons in the right sequence at the right time.

Hope Kickstarter gets off the ground in a big way because the gaming world seems to be intent on selling me the 1980s in the 2010s like it never happened before simply because they are pushing a platform that can't handle much more than that...

End of rant.........:D
11 REPLIES 11

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hmm not had our afternoon nap I see. 🙂

Seriously must just be a slow news day, or at least I hope so.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I can understand that rant, since that does seem to be the direction. I don't have as much of a problem with lack of impressive graphics if the story is wonderful. I am thinking of Myst and King's Quest VII. Both are wonderful examples of adventure games, games that are timeless, even though the graphics aren't that great. One thing that I have noticed about the Myst remakes is that they are true to the original story.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

HiVizMan wrote:
Hmm not had our afternoon nap I see. 🙂

LOL....I don't do siesta.....maybe I should start right?:rolleyes:

@Zygomorphic....yep. I actually find it weird that games are so story poor in general.....I am still waiting for say a combination of Borderlands style graphics (which I loved) and a decent involved story line and character development to come along...waiting for a graphic novel fps rpg space shooter hybrid or something like that......

@turtle...hope more pc gamers are in the pipeline now that the consoles have utterly surrendered 😉

@BOUJI...that game completely passed me by...will give it a look in. Guess I must have done it the injustice of overlooking it as, as you say, a clone of the COD franchise.....

Seriously starting to mistrust the industry reviews......

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

@turtle...hope more pc gamers are in the pipeline now that the consoles have utterly surrendered 😉

QUOTE]

Amen to that. Not only did it piss me off - I have both consoles - as most of my friends went to them after having children (and the wife that comes with them...the wife that just doesn't understand WHY you need a PC and a console) - and the latest offering makes no sense at all to me.

I have two TV's, three surround decoders, two consoles, a pc, laptop, NAS, a three or four Blu Ray players that will do the multimedia aspect of the consoles. Why on earth do I want another widget that does this?

I don't understand why they didn't make the console upgradeable. Have the GPU, CPU, and HDD slot in like the external hard drives do on the 360.

They have another revenue stream for the future that way.

Also, they bowed to the studios...I mean just caved. Backwards compatability, etc....well you know.

Turtle
Level 7
Ahhh Myst....I got busted soooo many times playing that in the control room when it first cam out. Course then, the graphics were considered game changing.

I think that it is the continuing in flux of casual gamers. Before, you had a choice - donkey kong on a console, or a real game on a PC.

Now, a console can do a decent job with a game (as long as you are excluding graphics and liking a controller), so in order to get the most sales, the lowest common denominator is served.

Also, the pool of PC players gets smaller. Hopefully this will reverse when people realize that you dont need $3000 to build a decent rig now.

I know that that is exactly what brought me back into the fold.

More PC gamers = better games has always been the rule.

B0UJI
Level 7
Yeah I see it as a bit too far on the "Games as Art" angle where they think anything that does something different needs to be praised. Granted some games are fantastic and graphics are not a defining factor. But they need to start being a bit more cluey on these things. Just because it's not trying to be the next COD doesn't means it's immediately an amazing piece of subjective art. And just because it does look like a COD knockoff doesn't mean it's not actually a very good game (case in point: Spec Ops: The Line - surprised the **** out of them all).

Pratham
Level 10
@ Arne-You must be Mass Effect fan..RPG SPACE SHOOTER HYBRID...character development wise Mass effect comes no. 1 in my list..lots of possibilities in the story...even though their ending sucked I could not think the better end.
@ Zygo- I still play Assassin's creed1 , NFS most wanted, age of empire..These games are timeless IMO...doesn't matter how bad their graphics are.I liked the new NFSMW too! they did good job remaking the game.

Pratham wrote:
@ Arne-You must be Mass Effect fan..

Yep absolutely, especially ME1...count that as a classic. NOLF is a favorite and DAO...Freelancer...things like that...

Mankz....that's true....Max Payne 2 was a pretty good game too...

Mankz
Level 10
Max Payne 2 is still one of my favourite games because it managed to blend a story with the gameplay so damn well.

.... and bullet time.

:eek: