cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing pre-installed ram

BobbyCannon
Level 9
How do I get to the ram below the plastic bottom? I want to upgrade the machine to a full 32gb but I'm not sure how to get to it.
21 REPLIES 21

Xbcxbc
Level 7
I'd like to know this, too. I tried unscrewing it but the plastic cover seems to be in place very firmly - I'm afraid of damaging it so I don't want to force it. There doesn't seem to be an obvious place where the cover can be lifted and I can only see the one screw.

Be careful with your bottom lid. I broke one of the clip nubs because I pressed down before screwing in the screw. Press in the ones not near the screw but then screw in the screw and finish clicking in the rest.

If I don't get any feedback by Saturday I may go "all in" and try and figure it out myself. I'll post pictures if I do figure it out.

BobbyCannon
Level 9
I have successfully replaced the two 4 GB SO-DIMMs with my Corsair Vengence RAM. It was much easier that I expected. However I cannot add the other two 8 GB sticks because it will not boot with all four 8 GB sticks in. It will boot if I empty the two expansion slot and only have two of the 8 GB cards in. It will also boot with the factory 4 GB sticks in the expansion slots.

If I add the two 8 GB cards in the two external expansions slot for a total of 4 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM cards it will not post.

BobbyCannon
Level 9
Here is how I replaced my RAM. I removed the battery and the back removable plate. I removed all the rubber plugs. Make sure you remember where every screw goes. They are different sizes. I then removed all the screws I could see. After that you need to pop out the CD drive. Use a paper clip to manually open the drive. Once the CD/DVD drive is open you can just pull it out. There are a few screws under the drive near the edge. Remove these screws. Now you can remove the plate just above the rear exhaust fan. Be careful because it has a cable. Now you can unplug the cable going up to the plate. Remove the screws from the screen hinges. They should be 3 long screws and one short screws. Now carefully pull up on the hinges and once they are free you can flip the screen over. Carefully and slowly popup the aluminum top (containing the keyboard). Once the aluminum top is up you can access the ram. Swap out the ram and re-install ever thing back in the reverse order.

BobbyCannon, thank you for the details. Just to make sure I understand you correctly: you actually had to take the laptop apart to put in 2 extra memory sticks, is that right?

W O W - o . O

I was afraid that I'd have to do this - I actually went through removing the first set of four screws last night (because I thought that maybe they're holding the plate in place) but I didn't feel like ripping the machine apart. I need to, though - I need to put in memory & an SSD.

Thanks for experimenting with it and for the info.

If you only want to add two sticks then all you have to do is remove the bottom plate. There is a screw hidden under the rubber piece in the middle of the machine. I had to take it apart because I wanted to go to the max of 32gb. This means I had to replace the internal RAM also.

X-ROG
Level 15
Please keep in mind all Haswell notebooks MUST USE 1.35V memory. 1.5V DDR3 memory will cause problems along the lines of overheating, potentially damage to the CPU (due to voltage potential difference) or at best just battery consumption worse than what we state.

BobbyCannon
Level 9
Oh man I wish I would have known this yesterday... gah.

BobbyCannon
Level 9
These are not full professional assembly instruction but I hope they can help someone out. Here is some of the steps you need to take to replace the internal RAM. It's not as hard as it may seem. Just take your time and it'll be easy.

Make sure you have the right tools. I used a small phillips head screwdriver, flat head screwdriver, small pliers and of course the RAM. Oh and I have a small wooden box so I don't lose my screws.

Remove the battery and pop out all the small circular rubber fillers.

With the fillers removed you can now get to the screws.

I place my screws in groups as to not forget where they go. Pay close attention to the different screws coming from under the bottom plate. They are all different sizing. Remember where they go

I forget to take a picture of this but use a paperclip and remove the DVD/CD drive. There are 3 screws under it that will need to be removed.

Once you have the screws remove you can remove the top rear cover.