cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME SLI SETUP X4/X8 problem ?

CYTCYT
Level 7
I have recently installed two gigabyte 780 oc windforce 3x on this board on the recommended slot 1 and slot 3 for x8/x8 speed as suggested by the manual. However, GPU-Z and Bios(1802) only see the first card running at x4 while the second card is running at x8, not x8/x8 as indicated by the manual. Any suggestion to make the first card runs at x8. Anyone has the same issue as mine.
16 REPLIES 16

kkn
Level 14
do you have enny thing instaled in enny of the other PCIE slots?
like a soundcard or revodrive?

list your entire system setup so we can help you bether.

There are no other cards in between, Just the two graphic cards in slot 1 & 3 as recommended by the manual for x8/x8 operation. I have tried switching the pcie-e slot to the top two slots which are PCI-E 3.0 x16, but the first card will always run at x4 while the second card runs at x16. Here is my 3dmark11 score which is pretty decent: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6791157. I just don't know why the first card will always run at x4 whenever a second card is installed. 22453.

Here are My System Specs:

CPU: i7-3770k @ 4.6ghz
M/B: ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME Z77 (Bios 1802)
MEM: 32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE
GPU: 2X GTX780 GIGABYTE OC WINFORCE 3X
SSD: 2 X OCZ VECTOR 256GB
PSU: SEASONIC-X 1250W
CPU COOLING: CUSTOM WATER LOOP
MONITOR: DELL 24"

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate and welcome to the forum.

Please do list all your hardware and if you do have any other items attached in the PCIe slots please do tell us what and where.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah ok - I think it is the power saving mode that is built in. You see the ? next to the PCIe lane info. Would you please click on that and run the little app. That should push your system up to the proper PCie lane settings.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Yes. I have done that as well. It still shows the first card at x4 3.0 and second card at x8 3.0. The bios sees the first card at x4 and the second card at x8 as well. Anyway idea of getting it up to x8/x8 mode.

Switch pci-e lanes to slot 2 and 4, Bios reports the first card runs at x16 and second card at x8 using PLX. 3DMark11 score is about 400 points lower than when cards are in lane 1 & 3 running at native mode of x4/x8. Could there be a small glitch on the mobo which reports wrongly the first pie-c lan speed a x4, which should be x8 in the first place when slot 3 is occupied. The 3dmark11 score seems decent.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your scores are consistent with my tests on my own board. And I have the lanes running at the expected settings.

Think the reporting is messed up, your performance is spot on.

Yes Hivizman. I shall assume to be so in this case. By the way what is your 3dmark11 score ? Care to share, just for reference.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have a couple of scores over the 20K mark but that is with the RIVE board and my CPU at 5GHz - so those gains are to be expected. VGA at 1030MHz