cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold booting problem

Stevetank1130
Level 7
I seem to be at a loss on this one.... I would say 75 percent of the time when I start from a cold boot using Windows 8 x64 pro everything posts and I get an "AA" code (my understanding that's when everything is turned over to the OS) I get to the desktop and it's blank. My mouse and keyboard are lit but have no functionality (there both usb). Sometimes it goes to blue screen after a few minutes, sometimes the icons eventually load. On a rare occasion I manually restart by holding the power button and I'll get the bios message saying my overclock failed. If that happens all I do is F10 at the bios and it'll load fine. I've tried throwing 0.005 more offset voltage at it and no effect, I've bumped my PLL to 1.75 (it was 1.65), I've adjusted the VCCSA up by 0.01 and the problem still happens. It's like my dad's old Chevy you have to start it a couple of times before it gets to runnin right. Any thoughts guys??

Thanks
Asus Rampage Formula
32g Corsair Dominator Platinum
2x MSI 7970 HD
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Intel 3930k
2x OCZ Vertex 3 128GB (Raid 0 sys)
2x WD Caviar Black 2TB (Raid 0 Storage)
Koolance and Ek Blocks
17 REPLIES 17

FireRx
Level 11
hey if you have a voltmeter, check the voltage on you CMOS battery just for grins. I curious if it 3.3v. Betting it's not.
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

Chino
Level 15

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please do the following for me.

Go in to bios.
F5 and enter = reset to defaults
Set your SATA mode as per your hardware
F10 and enter to boot to OS

I need to see if your system is stable at stock before we move on.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Just a side note if it helps, once the system is up and running it's performs fine. Benchmarks, games, Internet browsing (well except for using IE it seems to crash no and then) all work well.
Asus Rampage Formula
2x MSI 7970 HD
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Intel 3930k
Koolance and Ek Blocks

Stevetank1130
Level 7
I reset to defaults and tested a couple times (waiting and hour between tests) and no problems at stock freq.

I'm sorry I should've given you guys more info...I've been running my system at the following

Turbo Multiplier 47
XMP - 1600
Vcore offset 0.035
PLL 1.7
VCCSA 1.11
2nd VCCSA 1.10
Dram Voltage 1.5
LLC medium
Frequency 350
most everything else is set to optimized or auto

These settings were good and ran Prime95 for a half to one hour and Realbench and temps were mid to high 60's with no errors. There's no OC on the ram it's set to it's system spec of 1600 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v, Corsair dominator Platinum

I thought maybe it was a usb initialization problem because I had it set to "Full" so I changed it to partial and no effect... I don't know where to go on this one:(
Asus Rampage Formula
2x MSI 7970 HD
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Intel 3930k
Koolance and Ek Blocks

HiVizMan
Level 40
The thing is once you are handed over to the OO it is no longer hardware that determines the errors as a rule. The no screen thing for example, the slow provisioning of the desktop. If it is possible could you think about doing a new OS install.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Stevetank1130
Level 7
Yeah I can do hat, so you think it's a problem with windows 8 and when I'm manually restarting it's causing the overclock failed error??
Asus Rampage Formula
2x MSI 7970 HD
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Intel 3930k
Koolance and Ek Blocks

HiVizMan
Level 40
Honestly I am clutching at straws here - the fact you pass stress tests with ease and then have this error is nuts

Stevetank1130
Level 7
Tell me about it so am I . One thing I failed to mention is my CPU VCCSA is set to 1.185 as I've read that any higher would cause c2 degredation. Think that may be coming into play. BTW I just restarted and applied my OC profile back, got to the desktop everything seemed to load fine and then all my usb devices went dead! I restarted and again OC fail error just went into bios and all I did was F10 the oc settings and I'm up and running everythings fine.

Here's a thread of come screen caps of my settings if you wouldn't mind taking a look just to be safe

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33719-Offset-Voltage-help-questions-comments
Asus Rampage Formula
2x MSI 7970 HD
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Intel 3930k
Koolance and Ek Blocks