cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get updated Nvidia Drivers for GTX 460M?

Retired
Not applicable
I downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia, but when I try to install it says it can't find compatible hardware.

When I use the Nvidia auto updater it finds the GTX 460M, but says I have to get the drivers from the laptop manufacturer.

The drivers on the Asus site are older than the ones I have installed.

Can someone explain how I can get the most recent Asus drivers?

Thank you.
15 REPLIES 15

Xempt
Level 7
You can go to GeForce.com or directly to Nvidia.com

make sure you download the correct one based on your operating system -32 bit or -64 bit
Laptop:
ASUS G73SW
Upgrades:
Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 PnP 16GB (4x4)
Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD
Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Solid State Hybrid Drive
Intel i7-2820QM

Desktop:
EVGA X58 3x SLI Classified, Intel i7-920, CoolerMaster V8 CPU Fan, 12Gb Corsair Dominator GT, 2x EVGA GTX 295 in Quad SLI, 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 3x Seagate Enterprise 500Gb HDD's, CoolerMaster HAF X, ULTRA X3 1000w PSU, Logitech G15, Logitech G9x, Dual 24" 1080p Monitors

Xempt wrote:
You can go to GeForce.com or directly to Nvidia.com

make sure you download the correct one based on your operating system -32 bit or -64 bit

...and make it sure you download the laptop driver version. It happened to me once. I've had an incompatibility issue when I mistakenly downloaded the desktop version:o
ASUS G74SX-3DE

pretty much all the laptop makers have outdated video drivers. they put out one they know works. seldom is it ever updated.

they know that most people go to the video card's provider to get updates.

if you weren't playing games with it the original driver would be all you would really ever need. the people who are gaming and benefit from the newer drivers are the people who bought laptops with dedicated graphics cards. these people should update their drivers from the graphics card provider's website.

Retired
Not applicable

Retired
Not applicable
Its very bad that Asus havent made available any new driver for the G53SW graphic card, their latest was made in 2011.03.16:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G53SW
I have called Asus support and told them how bad this is and that i hardly doubt i will buying Asus again if they dont improve on this important issue, i suggest you do the same, the more pressure and they will have to change their lousy updates on drivers for graphic cards.

Vrs wrote:
Its very bad that Asus havent made available any new driver for the G53SW graphic card, their latest was made in 2011.03.16:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G53SW
I have called Asus support and told them how bad this is and that i hardly doubt i will buying Asus again if they dont improve on this important issue, i suggest you do the same, the more pressure and they will have to change their lousy updates on drivers for graphic cards.

The drivers on the ASUS site are merely a convenience and they work which is what they are supposed to do. Is there something wrong with the drivers on the ASUS website?

The problem is that Nvidia needs to have all of the hardware IDs included in the driver so that it can install properly.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
xeromist wrote:
The drivers on the ASUS site are merely a convenience and they work which is what they are supposed to do. Is there something wrong with the drivers on the ASUS website?

The problem is that Nvidia needs to have all of the hardware IDs included in the driver so that it can install properly.

The games as you are probably aware of are different then 6 months ago, there has been several performance improvements in nvidia driver since march, and it cant install from Nvidias site because as you wrote there are codes that Asus must have in the nvidia driver. It is bad from Asus not to have done anything since march regarding renewal of the nvidia driver, so i have a computer from Asus that cost a lot of money and are supposed to be o so great with a over 6 months old driver.

Retired
Not applicable
xeromist wrote:

There is something wrong with the drivers ASUS is providing......besides the fact that they are 7 months old.......

The really really outdated drivers on ASUS's site do not allow me to play Battlefield 3(beta) which requires version 285 of the Nvidia drivers. What am I supposed to do ? Buy a new laptop everytime there is a video driver upgrade that comes out?

Seriously, as we all know drivers are updated often to fix various issues in games,performance issues etc....

The fact that ASUS is not providing it's paying customers with updated drivers, is extremely ridiculous.

I love my G53SW Laptops (i've got 2 of them), but it is the first and last ASUS product I will ever buy unless we can get updated support for drivers that run their provided hardware.

jsixpack1 wrote:
There is something wrong with the drivers ASUS is providing......besides the fact that they are 7 months old.......

The really really outdated drivers on ASUS's site do not allow me to play Battlefield 3(beta) which requires version 285 of the Nvidia drivers. What am I supposed to do ? Buy a new laptop everytime there is a video driver upgrade that comes out?

Seriously, as we all know drivers are updated often to fix various issues in games,performance issues etc....

The fact that ASUS is not providing it's paying customers with updated drivers, is extremely ridiculous.

I love my G53SW Laptops (i've got 2 of them), but it is the first and last ASUS product I will ever buy unless we can get updated support for drivers that run their provided hardware.

I'm not computer savvy, but I could download drivers just as easily direct from the nvidia site. I'm using 285.38 version (recommended for BF3) at the moment with my G74. In fact, I could even download from nvidia with my previous low-end laptop. So I for one, don't really get where the problem is...

ASUS isn't the only one with outdated driver versions. For comparison, try checking Alienware- it also has outdated drivers.
ASUS G74SX-3DE