cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1

Masterbobo
Level 7
So I've read here and there about windows 8.1 coming around the corner, anyone have a date as to when?

I've also read that it will give u the option to do away with the tile screen, and boot directly to the desktop, anyone got any info on that?

I want to jump on the new OS because its newer and updated, and doesn't it support dx11.1? not sure

But im hesitant cause I know im not going to like it, so I wonder if 8.1 is going to fix all the problems that 8 has being that everyone and their granny hates the way 8 is.
Rampage IV Extreme
55" Samsung 3D LED 1080p
19" NEC side monitor
4930k @ 3.9ghz (h100i)
Dominator GT 2133mhz 16gb
2xDomiatorGT RAM cooling fans
OCZ Vertex 4 RAID0 2x256gb
Silent Pro GOLD 1200
3xGTX 770's 4GB Windforce TRI-SLI
Sound Blaster Zx
Logitech Z5500 digital 5.1
2xLG 3D Blu ray burners
Silverstone Multi USB3 card reader
2x4terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drives
1x1terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drive
10 Antec tri cool 120mm fans
Razor Deathadder mouse
Corsair 600t
Win7-64bit
9 REPLIES 9

squawker
Level 11
Hi Master,

You can download W8.1 Preview for free (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-download) and try it.

i did that on a spare hard disk and yes now we have the option to boot directly to the desktop.

i found it way better than W8, but yet for me not so good/practical as W7.

Let's wait and see how the final version is.

tkolarik
Level 9
I tried it and it is much, much better than Windows 8 but be warned...............

Norton Internet Security and probably N360 and Antivirus are not compatible!!! There is a beta version of NIS but the key is only good for two weeks which means you must sign up with another email for each new key! Definately no fun, I restored my backup and will wait.

There are probably other programs working with W8.1 but I'll wait for Norton.

Gorman
Level 12
Why would anyone want to skip the menu? What do you do with your computer that you don't need to use the menu? Don't you run programs and access files???

Using win+r is obsolete, the win hotkey is 1 less key after all...

@Gorman, I happen to like Win+r, to be honest, since I know a number of the programs by the name of their executable, and thus it is faster than searching through the Start Menu. At least, it is for me. I also happen to like shortcuts that brings down the console in LINUX.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The start screen is ugly as sin....I can have the programs I need on the taskbar of my desktop or as icons on the desktop all with my own background etc. If I want the start page I'll call it up....desktop on a desktop should be default....

It's all about choice...give me the choice Microsoft! They are finally doing just that because everyone disliked their crummy start page design and implementation.

Simple:cool:

Masterbobo
Level 7
anyone have a date as to when it will be released? (or when it will be sold as win 8.1 on disk, not an update)
Rampage IV Extreme
55" Samsung 3D LED 1080p
19" NEC side monitor
4930k @ 3.9ghz (h100i)
Dominator GT 2133mhz 16gb
2xDomiatorGT RAM cooling fans
OCZ Vertex 4 RAID0 2x256gb
Silent Pro GOLD 1200
3xGTX 770's 4GB Windforce TRI-SLI
Sound Blaster Zx
Logitech Z5500 digital 5.1
2xLG 3D Blu ray burners
Silverstone Multi USB3 card reader
2x4terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drives
1x1terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drive
10 Antec tri cool 120mm fans
Razor Deathadder mouse
Corsair 600t
Win7-64bit

Masterbobo wrote:
anyone have a date as to when it will be released? (or when it will be sold as win 8.1 on disk, not an update)

I would be willing to guess that disk updates are likely to take a while, since Microsoft is trying to get everyone to buy from their online store. However, I personally prefer physical disk distribution, unless the software is free. Then, I don't mind downloading it.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

HiVizMan
Level 40
Look to the end of the year most likely November'ish.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

sectionate
Level 12
wait 6 months after its released to install it
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com