cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice for optimizing the offset voltage of my 3770k

Ezioo
Level 8
Heya,
i have Intel Core I7 3770k on Maximus V Gene , but i kind get too high temp on the standard settings
someone advised me to use offset mode for adjusting voltage like the current settings in image

i adjusted it and it reduced the temp abit ,, However it's still high and i want to reduce it more but it give me red numbers when doing so ,, so guys what would u advise me to do

P.S : my temp on prime test is around 88C Lol

sorry for my bad english
13 REPLIES 13

Praz
Level 13
The numbers displayed in red are a warning that those values are outside the range that would normally be used for 24/7 use. If you have no issues you can set the value lower. But you may reach a point where the system is stable under full load but crashes at idle or partial load.

Praz wrote:
The numbers displayed in red are a warning that those values are outside the range that would normally be used for 24/7 use. If you have no issues you can set the value lower. But you may reach a point where the system is stable under full load but crashes at idle or partial load.

That's weird , but what would u suggest me to do mate? is there any other options i can adjust ? 88C at 100% load while proecessing is pretty ridicuouls 🙂 xD
Thanks.

Where offset voltage saves some heat, is that as the processor ramps up and down in speed depending on load, the voltage delivered also goes up and down as opposed to being fixed at the highest amount needed all the time. It does not change what that load voltage is. So set offset so that the voltage under load is the same as it is when set fixed. It will go down when the load is lower.

Now, you did not mention what cooling you are using; the 370k is a hot chip. If you are overclocking, (and frankly, even if not) the crappy Intel heat sync is just that, crappy. A better air cooler, or water cooling if doing a serious overclock, is needed to get the temperature down. I am on a custom water loop with a 360 radiator cooling just the CPU, and I still hit the low 80s c when overclocked to 4.7ghz, and the upper 80s when at 4.8ghz. The cover over the CPU die (IHS) is glued down on the chip with a black hard material that raises the IHS just enough to prevent it from making solid contact with the DIE. So Intel uses this thick thermal compound to fill in the gap between the CPU die and the IHS (like a layer of frosting between two layers of a cake). The IHS can't do the job of removing heat from the DIE, and transferring it to the heatsync/cooler, if it's not making good contact with the die and that is where the problem is. A better cooler helps but it can only do so much. That's why so many people are removing the IHS, cleaning the black goop off, and using a liquid metal thermal paste between the die and chip. They just lay the IHS back on the CPU and let the motherboard clamp hold it down. It's call delidding, and there are several methods to do it and all carry some risk that you can damage the chip. You can google it to get more information. I did several, with 100% success, with an average 18c drop in temperature across the board.

So the voltage you need to run at a particular speed is what it is, and cannot be lowered without testing for a good 12 hours minimum with something like PRIME95, a stress program. Once you know what your chip needs when set fixed voltage, set offset so that the load voltage is the same. The resulting voltage and heat are what they are, get a better cooler and maybe delid if you want to take a risk with the chip.
Current rig:
Asus MVE/32gb Trident-X 2400/1 Muskin Atlas MSATA 240gig - Win 7 Ultimate/2x Segate 3tb 7200rpm, 1 WDB 1tb (data backups)/1 PCIE SB Fatality/3770k delidded at 4.8ghz/2x EVGA 580 3gig (not yet on water)/2x LG BD burners/Water- Raystorm block, Rad-XSPC RX360v2, Res-Alphacool dualbay Repack w/D5vario, on distilled./PSU Corsair 1200i/NO case- on a 6' metal shelving unit, also holds my server, and drawers w/spare parts./46" Samsung SmartTV UN46ES7100.

tzvia1 wrote:
Where offset voltage saves some heat, is that as the processor ramps up and down in speed depending on load, the voltage delivered also goes up and down as opposed to being fixed at the highest amount needed all the time. It does not change what that load voltage is. So set offset so that the voltage under load is the same as it is when set fixed. It will go down when the load is lower.

Now, you did not mention what cooling you are using; the 370k is a hot chip. If you are overclocking, (and frankly, even if not) the crappy Intel heat sync is just that, crappy. A better air cooler, or water cooling if doing a serious overclock, is needed to get the temperature down. I am on a custom water loop with a 360 radiator cooling just the CPU, and I still hit the low 80s c when overclocked to 4.7ghz, and the upper 80s when at 4.8ghz. The cover over the CPU die (IHS) is glued down on the chip with a black hard material that raises the IHS just enough to prevent it from making solid contact with the DIE. So Intel uses this thick thermal compound to fill in the gap between the CPU die and the IHS (like a layer of frosting between two layers of a cake). The IHS can't do the job of removing heat from the DIE, and transferring it to the heatsync/cooler, if it's not making good contact with the die and that is where the problem is. A better cooler helps but it can only do so much. That's why so many people are removing the IHS, cleaning the black goop off, and using a liquid metal thermal paste between the die and chip. They just lay the IHS back on the CPU and let the motherboard clamp hold it down. It's call delidding, and there are several methods to do it and all carry some risk that you can damage the chip. You can google it to get more information. I did several, with 100% success, with an average 18c drop in temperature across the board.

So the voltage you need to run at a particular speed is what it is, and cannot be lowered without testing for a good 12 hours minimum with something like PRIME95, a stress program. Once you know what your chip needs when set fixed voltage, set offset so that the load voltage is the same. The resulting voltage and heat are what they are, get a better cooler and maybe delid if you want to take a risk with the chip.

well thanks mate for the info ,, i don't wanna risk my chip by delidding it, the chip is expensive as hell here
but i know someone who delided it and the temp was reduced by 18c at 4.8ghz oc when he applied a professional liquid thermal paste instead of the one intel uses
but as i said i can't take a risk like that especially im not professional in delidding those chips

Im using Corsair H80 liquid cooler and i don't intend to OC my cpu i just want it to be cool when i run it at 100% load on stoch hz

H80? If you are running it with one fan, get a second fan and run them in push pull. Most these AIO coolers have radiators with high fin density, so fans with high static air pressure can really help (Corsair SP120 comes to mind). Also make sure you have good airflow through the case. So many of the so-called 'silent' type fans achieve their feat of silence by not blowing enough air to make a difference! I used to drill out 120mm 'blow holes' in the tops of cases back when a few 80mm fan openings was considered a lot, and put enermax fans in them. Most modern cases have enough places to put good sized fans, make sure you take advantage of the fan openings and get fans in them. Also, cable management is important. It may be less so than the days of flat IDE cables that blocked the airflow, but they can still slow the flow. I have since ditched cases and mount my motherboard tray right on a metal shelf, and use 230mm fans. Looks really strange, but those big fans move a lot of air, and as the room is now the 'case', the ambient temperature is much lower than the inside of a case. And I have it near the air conditioning vent.

I can imagine how expensive this stuff is over there.
Current rig:
Asus MVE/32gb Trident-X 2400/1 Muskin Atlas MSATA 240gig - Win 7 Ultimate/2x Segate 3tb 7200rpm, 1 WDB 1tb (data backups)/1 PCIE SB Fatality/3770k delidded at 4.8ghz/2x EVGA 580 3gig (not yet on water)/2x LG BD burners/Water- Raystorm block, Rad-XSPC RX360v2, Res-Alphacool dualbay Repack w/D5vario, on distilled./PSU Corsair 1200i/NO case- on a 6' metal shelving unit, also holds my server, and drawers w/spare parts./46" Samsung SmartTV UN46ES7100.

Praz
Level 13
Once you reach the lowest voltage the system will run stable at your options are limited. Better cooling if that is possible or lower your overclock. Ivy Bridge runs hot.

Praz wrote:
Once you reach the lowest voltage the system will run stable at your options are limited. Better cooling if that is possible or lower your overclock. Ivy Bridge runs hot.

i didnt oc it , it runs so hot on the default preset thanks to our hot weather even i use Corsair H80 water cooling

Thanks for your info i will look into it

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have built quite a number of 3770K systems and more than a few have been with Intel stock coolers. Heat at stock, and noise at stock even when under load has been negligible.

Could you tell me your ambient temperature where your PC is located, and what the idle and load temperature of your system is.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

tzvia1 wrote:
H80? If you are running it with one fan, get a second fan and run them in push pull. Most these AIO coolers have radiators with high fin density, so fans with high static air pressure can really help (Corsair SP120 comes to mind). Also make sure you have good airflow through the case. So many of the so-called 'silent' type fans achieve their feat of silence by not blowing enough air to make a difference! I used to drill out 120mm 'blow holes' in the tops of cases back when a few 80mm fan openings was considered a lot, and put enermax fans in them. Most modern cases have enough places to put good sized fans, make sure you take advantage of the fan openings and get fans in them. Also, cable management is important. It may be less so than the days of flat IDE cables that blocked the airflow, but they can still slow the flow. I have since ditched cases and mount my motherboard tray right on a metal shelf, and use 230mm fans. Looks really strange, but those big fans move a lot of air, and as the room is now the 'case', the ambient temperature is much lower than the inside of a case. And I have it near the air conditioning vent.

I can imagine how expensive this stuff is over there.

Hey mate again thanks for all the info ,
i have NZXT Tempest Evo Case idk if you know about it ... i think it have good air flow since it has about 6 Fans (2 front, 2 up, 1 on the side and one in the back which is replaced by the damn H80 🙂 )
i've installed the back fan of the case as the 2nd fan of the liquid cooler but idk if this would do the job or no (i think it's a bad fan)
cable management in the case is abit limited

HiVizMan wrote:
I have built quite a number of 3770K systems and more than a few have been with Intel stock coolers. Heat at stock, and noise at stock even when under load has been negligible.

Could you tell me your ambient temperature where your PC is located, and what the idle and load temperature of your system is.

ambient temp at day idk but maybe around 35-37c LOOOL , since it;s outside around 44c and my room is in the right direction of sun rays all day (unlucky me XD)
at idle it's around 37 37 35 33 (night) and sometimes 39 40 37 35(day)
at load 100% 75 79 76 70 at dawn (5.23am using prime95) at 1.30 pm when i first noticed that high temp it was around 85 89 82 79 using lightmap baking in unity engine

thanks alot guys for you good replies!