cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Impact Boot issue

Forsakenrichy
Level 7
Hi I have just received my asus maximus vi impact and installed a 4670k. I am using a noctua NH-L12 and the thermal paste they provide which is nt-h1. I turn on my machine it begins to boot and the Q Code starts to increase in numbers then hits around 80 and cuts off. I thought this is a cpu paste issue and I have use too much. But after applying different methods 4 times I starting to doubt it is. My question is do the Q code numbers on start up mean temperatures if they increase fast? Am I just failing at applying cpu paste?

Thanks for the assistance.
9 REPLIES 9

Forsakenrichy
Level 7
Side note : I have tried it inside the case with everything connected including a graphics card and then I also removed it from my machine and put it on a cardboard test bed till I fix the issue

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Forsakenrichy.

Can you please list your complete system specs as detailed as possible so that we can help you better?

QCODEs are status codes that tells you at which phase of the boot process that the system is currently in. They can also serve as error codes and tell us which part of your system is not working.

Now, I don't quite understand the part about "cuts off". Are you saying that after the QCODE 80 appears, your system loses power? Also when you turn on your system, are you getting any video output?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OTbxw8cmXo a video of me recording it. For some reason it actually stopped rebooting after first little crash and give me a code. After that I turned it off myself

Forsakenrichy
Level 7
Hi Sorry the numbers go so fast that's why I thought it was temperatures. My Specs are Asus Maximus VI Impact/4670k/Corsair 240GS SDD/BD drive/Corsair Memory Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB DDR3 1866 MHz Dual Channel Desktop CMY8GX3M2A1866C9R/Corsair AX760i/Evga Gtx580 stock. But I like to add that I have removed the graphics card for now.

Chino
Level 15
Just for testing sake, let's use the iGPU for now. Please connect your monitor to the motherboard and tell me if you're getting any video output.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Where is your mouse and keyboard?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Forsakenrichy
Level 7
Right after I plugged my mouse/keyboard/screen in again it decided to show me a post and not reboot. It seemed that the quick boot opition is set to on. And it does state that in the manual too 😛 So with no disk in the drive it must of been doing something weird trying to get onto my windows server drive that was plugged in which I was planning to format and use as a storage device. So anyway I've managed to get it all running thanks guys for help. If anyone is thinking about getting a Maximus impact with a Noctua NH-L12 all I can recommend is get some low profile ram as mine was literally less than 1mm away from heat sink it caused me to do some crazy stuff with the wire fan clips on one side you don't want to see 😛 and the top left motherboard screw is impossible to screw in unless you have 10minutes to waste using tools to turn 1/4 at a time took ages. Temps are idle at 32-35c and ive only done a tiny bit of pushing and seen 59-60c on cores @ a turbo on every core at 3.8. I don't really look to overclock as this is a build for my gf and she wants a window on her bit fenix prodigy and I don't feel like I want to delid a near 200quid cpu 😛 Anyway thanks guys

Forsakenrichy wrote:
Right after I plugged my mouse/keyboard/screen in again it decided to show me a post and not reboot. It seemed that the quick boot opition is set to on. And it does state that in the manual too 😛 So with no disk in the drive it must of been doing something weird trying to get onto my windows server drive that was plugged in which I was planning to format and use as a storage device. So anyway I've managed to get it all running thanks guys for help. If anyone is thinking about getting a Maximus impact with a Noctua NH-L12 all I can recommend is get some low profile ram as mine was literally less than 1mm away from heat sink it caused me to do some crazy stuff with the wire fan clips on one side you don't want to see 😛 and the top left motherboard screw is impossible to screw in unless you have 10minutes to waste using tools to turn 1/4 at a time took ages. Temps are idle at 32-35c and ive only done a tiny bit of pushing and seen 59-60c on cores @ a turbo on every core at 3.8. I don't really look to overclock as this is a build for my gf and she wants a window on her bit fenix prodigy and I don't feel like I want to delid a near 200quid cpu 😛 Anyway thanks guys

The temperatures that you're getting are pretty decent. If you decide to go liquid in the future, the Bitfenix Prodigy would have no problems accomodating even the biggest radiators. That little thing is so cute. LOL

HiVizMan
Level 40
Just a note for all who like to test their hard ware.

Use a key board, use a mouse and have a hard drive connected.

Pleased that your system is working as it should.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.