cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus V RAM compatibility

M_NTS
Level 7
Hi,
I am currently in the process of building a PC and I only found out once my motherboard arrived that the RAM I had bought was not compatible with it. As such I have returned said RAM and instead am thinking of ordering this RAM http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f319200cl10q32gbzhd

It states in the manual that this should be ok and compatible yet when I look at it online it states that it is made for a se2011 processor and a x79 motherboard. As such I was wondering if it would work with and i7 3770k and the Maximus V Extreme. I want to use this RAM as I have a Noctua NH-D14 meaning G.Skill is one of the few manufacturers which will fit with the fan.

On another note I was also wondering if I could place my graphics card in the second PCi slot or if this would cause it to not work as fast. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated,
Hal
21 REPLIES 21

HiVizMan
Level 40
The ram should work, but you might have to tweak manually as I can not guarantee the XMP profile will work with the new Haswell CPU.

What ram did you order before? And is there a particular reason why you want or need 32 GB of memory? Just curios.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I have the money for 32gb and nothing else to spend it on so I might as well get 32gb as that seems to be the max the Maximus V Extreme can take. This is my original parts list http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/M_NT/saved/23qZ. The G.Skill I bought was not in the manual as when looking through the manual there are very few 32gb options which are both compatible with the motherboard and the Noctua.
Anyway how would I go about manually tweaking its XMP profile as this is my first PC build.
Many Thanks,
Hal

HiVizMan
Level 40
Mate have you bought your system yet?

Your original choice was the correct one by the way. The Z and X denote different platforms. They will both work mind you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

M_NTS
Level 7
Yes I have bought all the parts for the PC it was when I first tried to turn it on that the motherboard threw up the Q-Code 55 meaning no RAM had been installed. By my original choice do you mean this one : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f319200cl10q32gbzhd. The problem was my choice of RAM which I linked to you in my original parts list was not in the manual for the motherboard. Also as it was Ripjaws X not Z which is also why I assume it did not work. Anyway so will the RAM linked in this current post work with my system build?
Many Thanks,
Hal

HiVizMan
Level 40
Error 55 means many different things mate, often it simply means your CPU cooler is not balanced. 🙂

Both sets of ram will work.

M_NTS
Level 7
Oh really, **** I have already returned the first set of RAM :(. Anyway I am going to probably order the RAM I linked in my previous post. How would I go about checking if my CPU cooler is balanced as I thought it was balanced when I first installed it but maybe I simply did it on too tight. Also what else can error 55 mean?
Many Thanks,
Hal

HiVizMan
Level 40
It means what it says in the book, but that is a bit misleading at times. The cause for that is quite diverse. It is often as simple as the sticks of ram not being fitted correctly, and mate I have had that happen to me too. So no one is immune from not pushing down hard enough. 🙂

It can be dirt in the channel, it can be CPU cooler unbalanced and causing socket pins to shift off the pad of the CPU. It can be a weak IMC on the CPU, it can be a motherboard with a fault. But that is quite rare.

I ask if you have bought the stuff because I would have thought it made more sense to get the M6E and Haswell CPU that is all.

M_NTS
Level 7
Oh ok. Are there any tips you could give me when installing the new RAM into my motherboard?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would start with my system outside of the case. Do all the set up and testing with your mobo box as the test bench.

Take things slow and methodical. The journey is as much fun as the outcome.