cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antivirus

PauloF
Level 7
Hi, everyone.

I got a G750JX-TB71, no complaints about it.

I've seen some of you complaining about the bundled antivirus software.

So, as mine is about to expire, what antivirus software do you guys recommend?

Tks,
Paulo.
29 REPLIES 29

x70xchallengerx
Level 8
Personally, I just use windows defender. No need for any additional antivirus software really. I haven't used anything besides Defender in years, virus-free!
Asus G750JW-DB71

patros
Level 7
I use it on my desktop and laptop and they've recently developed a new technology that basically drops system impact of the Antivirus to nil.

Check out all the reviews of the program and get the 3 year license. You get all the updates and new releases as and when they're out. I have been using them now for a couple years and I must say, by far the best I've used.

McAfee himself posted a video showcasing how retarded McAfee Software actually is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg
Jesse Pinkman: "What's the point of being an outlaw when you got responsibilities?"

Badger: "Darth Vader had responsibilities. He was responsible for the Death Star."

Skinny Pete: "True that. Two of them bitches."

😄

I use NIS and Malwarebytes
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

@Clintlgm

If you ever feel like making a positive change in your life, drop NIS altogether and switch to Bitdefender. I gave up on Norton, McAfee, even Kaspersky and switched to Bitdefender a couple years back, no going back. It's fast, effective, constantly ranked the highest in terms of detection and virtually has no impact.
Jesse Pinkman: "What's the point of being an outlaw when you got responsibilities?"

Badger: "Darth Vader had responsibilities. He was responsible for the Death Star."

😄

I've run COMODO for years on multiple computers and never a problem its also free for home users.

Max Power wrote:
I've run COMODO for years on multiple computers and never a problem its also free for home users.

Realistically, if you're smart about what you do on your PC, viruses shouldn't be much of a concern. Then again, better safe than sorry. The free options while 'okay', the paid options tend to work better and considering you're considering 2 Samsung 840 500 GB SSDs in tandem for your G750, for you, money seems to be no object.

Right?

😄

ibbi wrote:
ROFLMAO! NO Impact my ass!

I have a 3 year / 5 PC license for Bitdefender AV and I never use it. Reasons being:

1) it slows down my internet browsing big time due to its URL Checking

2) It modifies the master boot records and adds its own entry. This is good in a way as it prevents viruses from ever touching your boot files but it is very bad when you want to restore your system using a disk image you took earlier, the whole bootup will not work after you restore your image

3) it has more False Positives than I like

I use NOD32 it's the lightest and pretty decent on virus detections as well

Bitdefender is one of the best in terms of Virus protection but altogether, it is on of the buggiest products out there

1. What's your internet speed that the URL checking slows you down that much? Secondly, you can switch it off if you don't like it. I am on about 50 mbps and face no drop in Internet speed.
2. I do love a clean install. Nothing completes a Sunday for me like a clean install. It's like being revirginized 😄
3. Total Security 2013 and 2014 have close to no bugs. I say that even though I have yet to face a single bug myself in the past 2 years of using their software, others might.
4. False positives are better than missed positives right?

Nod32 is good too, and I'm sure would meet most people's needs. I just figure, if you're going to use anything, use the best. Everything will have it's flaws and for the past couple years, Bitdefender has ranked consistently as numero uno.

That's why I suggested it.

Oh yeah, and the performance drop? What performance drop? My system honestly runs as though I don't even have an antivirus installed. It's breezy!

😄

Well I could probably work with out much Security, I aware and pay attention. However I have 3 WS and 1 NB the NB ends up on a lot of different networks some secure and some not. The WS are operated buy people that have no clue about security. I have trained them and they mostly won't click through a warning. I suffered through Norton from the beginning back in the 90's and finally the last couple of years NIS seems to run very low overhead and efficient. I don't have to retrain anyone including myself. I just started using Malware bytes since I found this forum. its seem to play well with NIS and I haven't noticed any overhead to speak of. I haven 't had a serious virus in the last 10 years. I guess it will be hard for me to change, with out a real track record that is that much better than NIS
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Draetor24
Level 7
I used to use NO virus scanner, and made it through life just fine. Since Win 7, I've stuck to MSE, since it has no impact on anything. No popups, and no annoying BS.