cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on new equipment

jagc1969
Level 7
Hello friends,

I am planning to build a new rig. Previous one has recently dead after 13 years of failureless work...

The configuration I have in mind is the following one:

MoBo : Asus Rampage IV Extreme (what else ? ...)
CPU : Intel i7 3930
RAM : G.Skill Trident X DDR3 2400 8 x 8GB (I think 64 GB will be enough... 🙂 )
Case : Cooler Master HAF-X
GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC 3GB DDR5 ( 2 of them , in SLI configuration)
Sound Board : Sound Blaster Xi Fi Titanium
CPU Cooler : Noctua NH-D14 Se 2011
PSU : Aerocool Strike X Power 1100W
SSD : Sandisk 64 GB SATA3
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA3
Blue-Ray Recorder, etc,etc.

I am thinking on replacing the HDD for one SSD as soon as SSDs with high capacity at an affordable price are available, leaving the HDD for backup purposes only.

Is this a good configuration for you ?
Can you foresee any compatibility issue?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

Juan Antonio
18 REPLIES 18

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Juan Antonio.

Your configuration looks awesome. Just going to point out a few things.

CPU. Ivy bridge-E is out. The 4930k currently goes for $10 more than a 3930k. 😉

RAM. I don't know of any 64GB TridentX kits so I'm guessing that you were planning to buy two 32GB kits and put them together? Bad idea. Do not mix two kits of RAM even if it's identical. They won't always play well. If 64GB is your goal and you want the 2400MHz kit, consider the G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400. They were designed for the X79 platform and will work flawlessly with the Rampage IV Extreme.

CPU Cooler. The Noctua NH-D14 is a huge heatsink and will get in the way of the RAM. If you're not afraid of watercooling, consider buying a closed loop system like the Corsair H100i. Currently the best there is on the market.

PSU. This is a personal recommendation really. In my opinion, the best PSU makers out there are Seasonic and Corsair. In that order. Now for the size, it all depends on you. Are you planning to overclock your CPU or GPUs? And do you plan on adding more GTX 780 in the future?

SSD/HDD? None? lol. For SSDs, I like the Samsung 840s. Minimum a 120GB SSD. And if your budget permits it, a 250GB one would be awesome. For normal HDDS, the Western Digital Blacks are pretty nice too.

Hi Chino,

Thank you very much for your advice ! I will go for the CPU and RAM that you have recommended.
Watercooling...still scares a me a bit about mixing liquids and electricity... I am from the old school I'm afraid...
SSD of course ! They are the future.

Thank you for your help, again.

Regards,

Juan Antonio

Chino wrote:
The Noctua NH-D14 is a huge heatsink and will get in the way of the RAM.

Actually the 64GB RipjawsZ kit fits nicely under the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011...

Zka17 wrote:

That's what I have read in the compatibility table too...

Zka17 wrote:

That's what I have read in the compatibility table too...

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the ROG forums, Juan Antonio.

PSU. This is a personal recommendation really. In my opinion, the best PSU makers out there are Seasonic and Corsair. In that order. Now for the size, it all depends on you. Are you planning to overclock your CPU or GPUs? And do you plan on adding more GTX 780 in the future?

You have changed my mind about the PSU too. I will go for a Corsair AX1200W 80 Plus Platinum...

jagc1969 wrote:
You have changed my mind about the PSU too. I will go for a Corsair AX1200W 80 Plus Platinum...

I'm glad that my recommendations were useful for you. About the SSD, I see that you've selected a 64GB Sandisk one. From experience, I can tell you that after Windows installation and drivers and other bits, you'll find that not much of those 64GB will be left. And do keep in mind that 64Bit Windows takes up way more space than a standard 32Bit installation.

With that amazing rig that you've specced, it would be a shame to equip it with a 64GB SSD. I was picturing a Samsung 840 250GB for it to be honest. You deserve a little speed after all these years of using a platter drive. 😉

Also Asus has officially announced the Rampage IV Extreme Black which is looking pretty good. I like it. There is no official release date yet but it should be interesting to see what the price tag is.

Chino wrote:
I'm glad that my recommendations were useful for you. About the SSD, I see that you've selected a 64GB Sandisk one. From experience, I can tell you that after Windows installation and drivers and other bits, you'll find that not much of those 64GB will be left. And do keep in mind that 64Bit Windows takes up way more space than a standard 32Bit installation.

With that amazing rig that you've specced, it would be a shame to equip it with a 64GB SSD. I was picturing a Samsung 840 250GB for it to be honest. You deserve a little speed after all these years of using a platter drive. 😉

Also Asus has officially announced the Rampage IV Extreme Black which is looking pretty good. I like it. There is no official release date yet but it should be interesting to see what the price tag is.

re: SSDs -- I would recommend a single 120gb ssd for your system drive (re: Windows & programs only) + a second 250gb SSD for gaming (if you game on your pc?). You can then add in a large capacity regular hard drive for data, media, storage, etc.

Samsung & Corsair both make excellent quality SSDs, you should be able to pick up a 120gb model for around $100.
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

chrisnyc75 wrote:
re: SSDs -- I would recommend a single 120gb ssd for your system drive (re: Windows & programs only) + a second 250gb SSD for gaming (if you game on your pc?). You can then add in a large capacity regular hard drive for data, media, storage, etc.

Samsung & Corsair both make excellent quality SSDs, you should be able to pick up a 120gb model for around $100.

Good idea. Thank you.