cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Extreme VI fan issue

pkofmanrog
Level 7
For some reason my cpu fan ( Nocuta d14 ) 3 pin is not being recognized by the xtreme fan program. The fan runs at full speed . I am not able to control the fan within the software or from the bios ( but it is running ). My cooler has two power connectors and i put one on the cpu fan connector and the other on the opt cpu connector but neither are able to be controlled . Note the cooler has 3 pins not 4 . Thoughts? Peter
9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
Have you used or installed AIsuiteIII Fan Xpert? That might offer some solution.

Fans and the control of fans is not my thing but the software might offer some help.

Plus one of the guys who know fans might pop in. I will pm one or two to come look.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Have you used or installed AIsuiteIII Fan Xpert? That might offer some solution.

Fans and the control of fans is not my thing but the software might offer some help.

Plus one of the guys who know fans might pop in. I will pm one or two to come look.

Yes thanks for the prompt reply, Sorry i was not clear. What i meant was that the aisuite 111 software fan expert software was not able to control the fan. I also tried directly in the bios and had the same result. I can see the cpu fan in fax expert but unable to adjust or control it must be doing wrong on my end or maybe its the 3 pin vs 4 pin thing .. thanks , regards Peter

Praz
Level 13
Is fan control set for 3 pin and not 4 pin in the UEFI?

Praz wrote:
Is fan control set for 3 pin and not 4 pin in the UEFI?

Always the obvious things that trip us up. Thanks for picking that up Praz
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I think Praz nail it, the Noctua NH-D14 there are two versions (well multiple but atm 2), the standard comes with 3pin fans and the LGA2011 version comes with 4pin PWM fans. By his post i belive he got the 3pin version.

Go into the BIOS/UEFI --> Monitor --> Fan Speed Control --> CPU Q-Fan Control
Change it from AUTO to ADVANCE MODE, this will enable 3pin voltage control on CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers. You can read the picture below about the description of Auto/Advance.

Chino
Level 15
Hey there, pkofmanrog.

Please go into your BIOS and take some screenshots of the entire Fan Speed Control section so that we can view the settings you configured. To take screenshots in your BIOS, simply connect an USB pendrive to one of your USB 2.0 ports and press F12 while in the BIOS.

Zka17
Level 16
As I recall, for the CPU fan headers you need PWM fans to work correctly... - those are the 4-pin ones... otherwise the 3-pin fans (voltage controlled ones) will run at their max rpm and you won't be able to control their speed...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, unfortunately 3 pin only respond to the more basic voltage regulation...not the finer tuned PWM stuff. If you don't set them up in BIOS they'll spin at max...

Antony-rog
Level 8
Why some fans respond well and other don't, but all of them 3 pin fans?
I have cooler master that respond very well, but the nzxt just don't.