cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI Slot Posting

InoSiX
Level 7
I have a pair of 780s (one ACX version, one SC version, but probably doesn't matter) that I am running in SLI. I have them in slot 1, and slot 3 (or the slot below the first black slot) but GPU post shows it as x16 (slot 1), and x8 (slot 3).

What am I doing wrong?
15 REPLIES 15

ChiefZeke
Level 10
Try slot 1 and 4 - see 2.2.4 in manual.
Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD

I apologize. I do have it in that slot. The slot above it is the black one I am refering to.

Yeah it still reads 16x and 8x.

InoSiX
Level 7
The bios lists them as x16 and x8. I'll need to confirm GPU-Z. The simulator shows the same lanes as 16x and 16x when used in that fashion.

Chino
Level 15
Try reseating them. And if you have a can of compressed air, blow some into the PCIe lanes just to make sure that they're not dirty.

Will give that a try tonite. Pain in the butt with the water cooling, but it must be dealt with! Thanks for the replies so far.

Chino
Level 15
Well, for what it's worth, you're not losing any significant performance running x16/x8 instead of x16/x16. If it doesn't bother you, you can leave it be. I'm guessing you're custom watercooled. And I know how much of a hassle it can be to drain the loop and everything. 😛

I have quick disconnects between most of the loop, sans the SLI bridge which is solid and cannot be moved really. I'll need to move the cards together in pairs or drain just the video cards.