cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M5F sudden booting trouble

Ardox
Level 7
Hi guys,
so my Maximus V Formula board seem to have developed a problem, atleast I can't seem to think of anything I have done which could have caused this problem.
One morning I woke up and flipped the power button on my CoolerMaster HAF X, but the system didn't seem to boot. I basically just stood there looking as nothing happend but about ~10 seconds later the system started as usual. This problem is persistent, but today it didn't want to boot at all. I waited about 3 minutes after pushing the start button on both the motherboard (top right corner) and the button on the case. As it didn't boot I turned off the power supply, pulled the plug and then reconnected and my PC started perfectly again. Once I get my PC to start up it works as it is supposed to, but I am afraid the problem will get worse if I don't figure out what causes the problem.
I asked for help on another hardware forum and they suggested to clear CMOS, but I am no expert on the field, so I thought I'd ask here first before wrecking the whole system ;(
I filmed the problem and hope you can help me solve this problem!
http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/407/xp0kuscaanxlbqpaaaguec.mp4/

If you think I should clear CMOS, can you please give me a little step by step how to do it properly? Thanks!

I haven't overclocked or changed anything in BIOS btw.
16 REPLIES 16

Preacher
Level 10
Hi mate,

I had the same problem with an old computer, I ended up buying a new power supply unit which fixed it. I then built myself a new computer and gave my sister my old one. Unfortunately I had to put the old PSU back in to give my sister, 4 years later it still works, but every so often it refuses to boot, so as I did when it was mine, I unplug the power lead, plug it back in and then it works fine. So my guess something is wrong with your PSU.
Intel i7 3770K@ 4.5GHz,
Silverstone Heligon HE01
ASUS Maximus V Formula, 1803 BIOS
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 @ 1866MHz, 9-10-9-27
MSI GTX 970
Samsung 250GB SSD
Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU
NZXT Phantom 630
Win 8 Pro x64

A little update. I went away to eat and meanwhile my PC went to sleep. When I came back I pressed to start button to wake it up, but the PC just quickly flashed as it was about to start, then turned off again. Now I can't seem to make it start at all. All the lights on the motherboard and GFX are on. Please help;(

Edit: I just unplugged the whole thing and pulled out my PSU to test it. I had it jump started with a fan connected and it is working properly. Must be something to do with the motherboard?

The board shows Q code 30 right now. Something to worry about?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would do the following.

Please reset your BIOS to defaults for purposes of this test. Now run your system for a day or so and see if the Sleep behaviour is duplicated.

But my gut feeling is that your PSU is the cause.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Ardox
Level 7
Could you quickly tell me step by step how to reset bios? Prefer using the dedicated button on the I/O panel if you could guide me 😉 I've looked it up but some people say you must unplug the power cord and some say you have to leave it etc.

Chino
Level 15
Method 1.
1. With your system power off but with power still going to the motherboard, press the Clear CMOS button at the back of your motherboard.

Method 2.
1. Switch off your PSU.
2. Disconnect the power cable.
3. Press the Start button to discharge any remaining power from the motherboard.
4. Remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes.
5. Put the CMOS battery back into place.
6. Reconnect the power cable.
7. Switch on PSU.

Ardox
Level 7
Thank you Chino, I really don't see any reason to go for method 2 if it is the same thing as method 1

Ardox
Level 7
Hello again guys, so I just shut down my pc and pressed the Clear CMOS button on the back of the I/O and started my system again. I get this message as I try to boot: http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3541/7dnn.jpg

I am pretty sure I haven't done any changes to the bios, so I am having a hard time to figure out why I can't seem to boot properly ;( Anyone help?

EDIT: I panicked abit by posting here to quick. I tried to figure it out myself and found another post on the forums which led me to find the solution. I basically had to go to Fan control in BIOS and set the CPU fan speed to 'ignore' and I could boot without trouble.

Ardox wrote:
I basically had to go to Fan control in BIOS and set the CPU fan speed to 'ignore' and I could boot without trouble.

Rather than disabling the CPU Fan Speed sensor, I'd recommend you lower the CPU Fan Speed Low Limit option instead. That way if your fan were to fail in the future, you'd get a warning.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries that is quite normal with certain low RPM fans.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.