Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

G750JW adding a SSD

Hello, i just bought my G750JW and it does not come with a SSD, so i bought one haha
    now i really don't know what to do. do i need a driver? how can i put my windows 8 there?
    Thank you for your time!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ovelha View Post
    Hello, i just bought my G750JW and it does not come with a SSD, so i bought one haha
    now i really don't know what to do. do i need a driver? how can i put my windows 8 there?
    Thank you for your time!
    If you're not going to do a clean install of Windows 8 the easiest way to load the SSD is with Asus Backtracker, you can download from the link below.

Download and install the program, you will need a 16GB flash drive, if there’s data on the drive make sure you back it up because everything will be deleted during the installation process.

When it’s finish shut down your system and swap out the HDD with the SSD, plug in the flash drive and the installation will start. When it is finish it will put everything as it was right out of the box.

http://support.asus.com/download.asp...=&hashedid=n/a
    G752VY-DH72

ROG Enthusiast Array

i have a 750JW as well and i did the same, bought a samsung 840 pro 256gb and did exactly as cosmicmango suggests. worked fine. make sure u put your ssd in the other hard drive slot first and boot up and format it / make sure its in guid format. then just shutdown and take out HDD and plug the ssd in its place after u made the asusbacktracker cd image. leave the HDD out and boot up with usb in and ssd in primary slot. cheers

ROG Enthusiast Array

the 750jw was a very nice laptop before but when i added the 840pro 256gb ssd this little laptop just went to work in straight god mode. so so fast. lol

Do as previously suggested w/ asus backtracker and you will be fine.

To be a little more concise follow these steps.

1. Use Asus backtracker to back up the system to a flash drive (16GB minimum). Power off system when finished and remove battery.

2. Open the bottom cover on your laptop and swap out the mechanical HD for your SSD (i.e. use the same bay). Put battery back in and power on with your flash drive inserted.

3. Once backtracker has finished restoring your system you can reinsert your mechanical HD to your other HD bay if you want to use it for mass storage. Once again power off your system and remove battery first before doing so. The necessary mounting screws for your hard drive should have been in a little bag taped to the cardboard inside the box your laptop came in. Reassemble your system.

4. Not sure if this is mandatory on all systems but I had to boot to BIOS before I could get Windows to recognize that the mechanical HD was installed to the secondary HD bay.

5. Enjoy your SSD! I have the same SSD that Cronik does and I have to agree with him that this laptop with a decent SSD absolutely SCREAMS. Most applications open instantly and all run buttery smooth. The longest it takes for me to load any program is 8 seconds (After Effects, which previously took between 30 - 45 seconds), and I am not kidding in the slightest when I say that this laptop now goes from completely powered down to a working windows desktop in about six and a half seconds on Windows 8 (with Start8 installed and booting straight to the classic desktop).

Good luck!

ROG Member Array

Im a new ROG owner and member to this forum and have to say that the support from the community is awesome!. I picked up a SSD last sat for my JW and did a clean windows install (left my recovery partition and UEFI partition just in case). Thanks everyone for being who you are!!!!

ROG Member Array

Adding an SSD to G 750 JW

I have a Toshiba SSD that I want to add to my ASUS G750 JW and I did as posted, downloaded the Asus back up program and made a USB recovery drive, but since I have never done this before I am wondering if I can get more notes on the process and any Bios changes I may need to do, I have never made any Bios changes before so this is all new to me... and if this process does not work can I simply replace the HDD and boot back to what I was using before? Guys from Best Buy have made the process much more complicated than the posts here so I am just trying to get the facts before I do anything (do not want to mess up a new laptop). Thx very much for any help God bless and Happy 2014!
    Last edited by taberetta; 01-01-2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: add on

ROG Member Array

Update on adding SSD to G 750 JW

Everything went very well. The speed increase is amazing! I have heard the Windows experience index is not the best program for rating your system but it has always been consistent for me, and before the SSD my lowest score was the disk data transfer at 5.9, now it is the highest at 8.1! This laptop was really quick before but now it is the fastest system I've ever used. One last question if anyone can add extra information on adding the factory HDD back for mass storage I would appreciate it. I've been figuring all this out by searching online and because of sites like this I have had very few problems. I want to know if I need to use the Bios and/or format the HDD I took out since it still has windows 8.1 on it. Can I simply use disk manager like I did for making my Ram disk drive, which btw makes surfing the web about 30% faster if you add a cache, and in combination with the SDD it is simply mind-blowing. Take care and GB...

ROG Guru: White Belt Array ZERO013's Avatar

glad to see all of you are having success in upgrading the JW to a ssd... word of note I put the Samsung EVO 1tb in mine and after making the backtracker thumb drive I simply used the samsung migration software that comes with the ssd to transfer the image... this is helpful incase your recovery partition is between the c and d partitions as you can select what all you migrate so you don't run into having two separate partitions that you can't merge due to the asus recovery partition being in the way... Enjoy the upgrades... love this thing with the ssd... soo fast now.
    G750 JW-DB71
    Samsung 840 EVO 1TB

Asus Maximus V Formula
    Intel I7 3770k
    Coolermaster CM 690 Mid-Tower
    Coolermaster V8
    G.Skill Trident X 8GB 2400
    EVGA GTX 670
    Lite-On 12x BD burner
    Lite-On 24x Dvd Burner
    Asus VS247 Monitor x2
    Corsair HX850w PS
    OCZ Vertex 3 Max Iops 120GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
    WD 2TB Caviar Black
    Xigmatek 140mm Crystal series Red LED fan x4
    Xigmatek 120mm Crystal series Red LED fan
    Coolermaster 80mm slim backside MOBO processor section fan

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by cronik916 View Post
    make sure u put your ssd in the other hard drive slot first and boot up and format it / make sure its in guid format.
    In what format? Can't find out anything by Googling. NTFS ok?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast