cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC Adapter/Charger for G750? WHere to buy? Also, "plugged in, not charging?"

iammax
Level 7
I found two possible sources

http://www.amazon.com/iTEKIRO-G750JW-BBI7N05-G750JW-DB71-G750JW-RB71-G750JX-DB71/dp/B00EYLIPH6

and

http://www.poweradapterlaptop.com/asus-laptop-adapter/G750.htm#

I don't know if these are any good though.

Second question:
The reason I want a second charger is because I live in one place half the week, and another place the other half. I would like to be able to just leave a charger in each place. When I got my G750JX, I realized that the charger for my old Lenovo laptop works with it. However today I realized that using that old Lenovo charger, the G750JX doesn't actually charge the battery, but it doens't have to use the battery, and it run on wall power. I was wondering if this is because maybe the Lenovo charger doesn't have enough watts?

Edit: Actually it does charge with the Lenovo charger sometimes, but sometimes not. I don't know why
7 REPLIES 7

Pitcher1
Level 9
1. i think if it is under our powr spec, i think it is able to use.
2. G serious laptop need high power watts.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
1. Sorry, don't know about those other chargers, but if you are in the U.S., you may want to check with the ASUS U.S. and Canadian eStore site here which doesn't list any chargers for the G750 models yet, but has the 19.5 V DC, 9.23 A, 180w charger used by the G75VW and some other models that will also work for your G750JX.
If necessary, you may want to confirm with eStore that the charger will work for your G750JX notebook before purchasing.
Also, stores selling ASUS Notebooks should be able to order the G750JX charger if they wanted to carry it (not all stores will) and you can find a 'where to buy' at the ASUS U.S. website here (click on the U.S. or Canadian map) should you decide to look into this more.

2. As far as your Lenovo charger goes, does it only stop charging when the battery charge is above 95%?
You may not be running into this issue, but the battery may not always charge when it's above 95% and you can find more information at this thread G46 not fully charging battery if you're interested.

Otherwise, you may want to check the output specs of your Lenovo charger to see if it's providing enough power.
Although you need to worry about other things like the AC adapter connector size and polarity of the power pin, if you look in your G750JX battery compartment, you should see a label for the input requirements which should be 19.5V (volts)
and 9.23A (Amps) which works out to 180W (watts) if you multiply the two.
Compare with your Lenovo charger output to see if it has the right voltage and provides enough power.
If your Lenovo charger doesn't provide the 180 watts that your G750JX needs, this could be the reason it's not working that well.

I'm a bit of a worrier, but it's not usually a good idea to continue using the wrong charger especially if you notice the AC adapter getting hotter than normal although the notebook will draw less power if you turn it off while charging the battery.

Well, hope this helps.

villiansv
Level 11
cl-Albert explained it pretty well. You want:
1. Same output, in this case 19.5V x 9.23A = 180W
2. Same pin connector

Looking at the adapter for my JX, it's FA180PM111 (model #). A quick google search will show that the same adapter is used by some Dell laptops, which have a different connector. However, it seems that the previous Asus G75VW model used the same adapter, and I'd say it's very likely the G75 connector is the same as the G750 connector (it's nice to have someone confirm though).

TL;DR - chances are the G75VW adapter will work flawlessly. Being an older model, there should be plenty of options to buy it online.

Pierre990429
Level 7
I also have the "plugged-in, not charging" sometimes. I think it must be a thing to protect the battery's life. (it only does this at ~ 95% charge)
Eventually it will charge to 100%.

Pierre990429 wrote:
I also have the "plugged-in, not charging" sometimes. I think it must be a thing to protect the battery's life. (it only does this at ~ 95% charge)
Eventually it will charge to 100%.

I think this is what's happening. After experimenting a little more I found that the Lenovo charger does actually charge most of the time.

I don't know its wattage (it doesn't say on the sticker) but its voltage and amperage are the same as the Asus one. I played Skyrim with the battery out, on the lenovo charger, for about an hour, and nothing bad happening (the charger didn't even get warm)

iammax wrote:
I think this is what's happening. After experimenting a little more I found that the Lenovo charger does actually charge most of the time.

I don't know its wattage (it doesn't say on the sticker) but its voltage and amperage are the same as the Asus one. I played Skyrim with the battery out, on the lenovo charger, for about an hour, and nothing bad happening (the charger didn't even get warm)

Power (watts) = Current (amperes) * Voltage (volts)

As the lenovo charger seems to fit, you should be all right. (disclaimer - not an engineer 🙂 ).

I was very upset when after only owning my G750JW for 6 months my laptop quit charging!!! I brought it back to BestBuy where i bought it and was told the reason it was not charging was because the brick and power cord were bad. They said they would send a request to Asus to have them mail out a new power cord and brick. That was 5 days ago. The battier is long since dead and i'm having to wright this up on an old HP pavilion dv981nr notbook. Thank goodness for this pc the thing is like 6 years and (knock on wood) never had an issue with it. Now look at my G750JW which i paid a lot more for and is should be much better quality and i have not even owned it for 6 month and already it is down for 5 days. I know that Asus cant over night most things but man i wish they could speed up the time it tacks to get replacement parts from them. Since i'm waiting for a part that hopefully is the right part and will fix the issue. (Since they did not have another charger in the whole store to check to make sure that my laptop could tack a charge.) So i will be very upset if i have to wait for a battier or Motherboard to come in after the charger because of a miss diagnoses. And before i get angry replays from everyone an Asus tech told me the same thing and offered a RMA for the charger but me being stupid i though if i brought it back to Bestbuy and had them check it there that they would replace the charger on the spot. Guess the customer server rep forgot to tell me that they could not. So i took my 3 year old son with me to Best buy not a fun experience trying to get him to stay with me wile trying to talk to the Geek Squad. Wish the Asus rep had told me that it would be better to just do the RMA with Asus. I guess i will have to live and learn! Hope this helps someone out there with the same issue. A side note my power supply started beeping. Not sure what that was all about. Asus support and Geek Squad Both were unable to tell me why. I'm sure someone can tell me guess i just did not get the right guys to tell me.