cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX-DH72-CA Laptop with Windows 8 has WiFi Connectivity problems

Rehhtahn
Level 7
Hi everybody,

I've tried searching for the solution but thus far have been unsuccessful. My problem is that randomly my laptop (G75VX-DH72-CA) will have the wireless go into "Limited Connectivity". During this time the wireless data goes to 0 kbps (no network traffic at all). I cannot ping the router or anything else. Often if I disconnect from the router and reconnect the connection comes back. Also if I wait long enough (usually about 5 minutes) the connection comes back.

I have a few other devices, including my work macbook, my samsung galaxy s3 and samsung galaxy S phones, a Windows 7 work laptop, PS3 and my blackberry playbook which never loose connectivity to the router so I'm ruling the router as probably not the problem. I've tried resetting the TCP-IP stack, removing IPV 6, and a few other little things but none of these work. I thought possibly that it could be a problem with low signal but I've had it happen when the laptop was litteraly within 2 feet of the router. (As a note, I've also tried 2 different brand wireless routers and the same thing happens)

I'm thinking that the problem either lies within the windows 8 architecture, or with the built in Atheros wifi card but I would like some way to check for sure as I don't have the ability to roll back to windows 7 or a spare wifi card to put into the laptop.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Xylem
Level 7
Hey bro, I got the same problem as you. I have the G75VX-BH17N09, it usually happens 0 to 2 times per day and I just disconnect then reconnect to the router and it works again. It says limited connectivity and has the yellow exclamation mark, I got windows 8 and the Atheros card. Its mostly annoying when i'm playing an online game, otherwise it's a 10 second fix. If someone has a solution please help us out.

ShadyStan
Level 7
Well, I’m a G75VX owner too and I’ve noticed the limited connectivity problem only occurs when there are too many devices connected to the router. At least that’s the case with me.
It’s not necessary that they’re all connected at the same time. For instance if I connect 4 or 5 devices to the router in the space of a couple of days the next device I try to connect will show “limited connectivity” no matter whether it’s my G75VX or my Nokia phone or whatever else. Resetting the router will not work in my case and some time must pass before the router’s cache empties so that I can connect other devices to it.
So, for one thing the limited connectivity problem may be attributed to the router, and for another, we all know the Atheros wi-fi module on the G75 line-up is not particularly good and such wireless connection drops wouldn’t be a surprise. By the way Atheros released a driver update to the G75VX wi-fi module two weeks ago but I haven’t tested it yet.

It's not due to too many devices on the network as there are less than 10 devices on the network at any given time and no other device looses connectivity with any regularity. I'm grabbing a usb wifi stick to test and see if it does the same thing. This should show if the problem exists due to windows 8 or due to the wireless card that came factory in the device.

Rehhtahn wrote:
It's not due to too many devices on the network as there are less than 10 devices on the network at any given time and no other device looses connectivity with any regularity. I'm grabbing a usb wifi stick to test and see if it does the same thing. This should show if the problem exists due to windows 8 or due to the wireless card that came factory in the device.

so what's the verdict?